Pole Display beta test

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Jonathan Simpson
Site Administrator
Pole Display beta test

Post by Jonathan Simpson » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:54 am

This program will attempt to send the data from supported versions of POS (Currently only the most recent betas which have pole support), to a compatible serial pole display.
http://return.no-ip.org/archive/pole2.zip

It only works on windows 95 and later, at present. Once this version is declared bug free, I'll start on a DOS version.

To use it, copy the program to your POS folder and double click on it. The first time it will ask you for your port settings, so make sure you have your manual ready!. Once you have entered all the settings, the program will close. Double click on it again to run it with the new settings.

If you need to change your port settings once they have been entered, delete the file "pole.cfg" in your POS folder. This will cause the program to ask for them again the next time you run it.

Once the program is running, you can start POS and it should send things to your Pole Display. You can check the DOS box opened by POLE2 to see what it has recieved from POS, and to make sure your pole display is showing the same thing. Pole2 must be running before you start POS, in order for the pole display to work (much like aprint).

report your results here.

Jonathan Simpson

Kian

Unknow chars and symbols

Post by Kian » Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:31 pm

I already try it and my pole display shows unknown chars and symbols instead of ABC chars. I'm using Posiflex PD2200B pole display, DHPOS 5.03 and windows 98SE.

Help anyone?

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Settings?

Post by Dale Harris » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:56 pm

Most likely, the port is mis-configured. The most common port speed for Pole displays is 9600, so try that one first. Unfortunatly, the online manual for that display has no info on speed and other port settings, so I can't help much beyond that.

If it is definatly NOT a speed or port setting issue, then something else very wierd is going on. The display may have an emulation mode that is making it work in an odd way.
Dale

Pete
Occasional Poster

Post by Pete » Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:00 pm

ive tried the beta, its great but

i tried it in the factory setting and ill i got was

ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

then i played around witht the DIP switch and got

20:56:06

i have a CD5220, u can find the manual online, but i cant think on what else to do, could u give me a few ideas?!

Cheers
Pete
Peter
- England

Jonathan S.

Post by Jonathan S. » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:34 pm

Make sure your port settings are as follows, refer to the first post to learn how to change them:
Speed is: 9600 or 4800 (your dip settings decide this)
Data bits is: 8
Parity is: none
Stop bits is:1

The thing with the time is an actual command for the display :), the command is ! # 5 and a carriage return, so that probably happened because of a parity error. Serial ports are a pain... always :)

Let me know... if your still having problems I'll get in touch.

Jonathan Simpson

Kian

Post by Kian » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:07 am

Perhaps you and JS can use this info to fix pole display problem
As I told you before my PD can't show proper char, and my settings are
port = com1
speed = 9600
data = 8
stop = 1
parity = none

I have tried any configuration by changing speed, data byte, stop bit and parity, but still the same.

And then I try this way to test my PD :
From dos prompt type :
c:\>mode com1 96 n 8 1 <ENTER>
(Then the screen shows ---> COM1: 9600,n,8,1,- )
c:\>type con>com1 <ENTER>
type "ABC" (or any char) <ENTER>
the PD shows exactly the char that I type.

I hope that info will be useful to solve pole display problem.
Because I already bought one PD that I can't use :p

Kian

Post by Kian » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:31 am

Is there anyone have tried using pole display ?
please post your PD type and configuration and the result please.
Thank you.

Jonathan S.

Post by Jonathan S. » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:06 pm

Download pole.cfg from http://return.no-ip.org/archive/pole.cfg Place it in your POS folder and see if Pole works.

Let me know.

Jonathan Simpson

Alan
POS Guru

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Post by Alan » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:42 pm

Hi tried it and got it working :)

My pole is an IEE device. I installed Epson OPOS and setup the unit from the IEE port setup program.

Voila it works with POS!

Alan

Jonathan S.

Post by Jonathan S. » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:30 pm

Alan, how does OPOS work? Does it read the file and create the output?

Stop by chat, if you can :)
Also, it worked with that config file? If so, I think I need to make the config program a little more inteligent :)

Jonathan Simpson

patrick
Forum Regular

Pass-Thru

Post by patrick » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:09 pm

Hi!

Will this program work with Pass-thru displays?
I own a Logic Controls PD3200-PT - PD3200 with Serial Pass-Thru (DB9F/DB25M dual connector).

Best Regards,
Patrick Andersson

Jonathan S.

Nope, not yet

Post by Jonathan S. » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:18 pm

Nope, not yet it wont...
This program only displays stuff on the screen... since I am not completely sure yet it works as required, that is ALL it does at the moment. Aside from this, I am not quite sure how pass-thru will work, since no other program can open the serial port while this program is running, and this program doesn't know what else to send to the port for you... Lets talk about it, and I'll see what I can come up with.

Awaiting more details...
Jonathan Simpson

Alan
POS Guru

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:44 am

I have no idea how OPOS works!

It seems I need to open up the IEE Demo program, open the linedisplay then close it for it to work!

So its:
1) IEE Demo
2) POLE2
3) POS

Alan

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:11 pm

Jonathan S. wrote:Download pole.cfg from http://return.no-ip.org/archive/pole.cfg Place it in your POS folder and see if Pole works.

Let me know.

Jonathan Simpson
done that, and still not working :(
is it the same cfg file with mine ?

PORT=com1
SPEED=9600
DATA=8
STOP=1
PARITY=none

Kian

Hello ???

Post by Kian » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:36 pm