Rounding

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

barryhart
Rounding

Post by barryhart » Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:44 am

i know i have brough this issue up before,
an honestly i hasn't really be discussed i great detail.

I am refering to rounding.

I know how POS rounds the first item up/down if rounding is used.

But, this way of making rounding work is not suitable in a practical sense, as it is rounding off that one item one or two cents per sale.

It may not be much, but when you make 100's of 100's of sales, it sure adds up.

There's also the legal aspect of it also, trying to explain where the other $1,000 somewhere went missing isn't a very good sign of keeping your books in order....

So I propose something that might help out this situation,
[1] make use of a type of 'payment' called 'rounding' and pays/give back whatever amount is rounded. Eg: $0.01, $0.02 or -$0.01 or $0.02.

[2] Make category 254 a category like payouts that keeps track of rounding. Any rounding on purchases goes here.

What are your thoughts on this idea?

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:38 am

I have to agree - on the system at work there is a tender called "Rounding" which is invoked when certain tenders (e.g. cash) are used. It prints automatically and reports can be generated for it.

I also think that if rounding were to occur automatically for a particular tender e.g. cash - it would be great as not all employees will remember to press [F8]. :)
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Automatic Rounding

Post by ChrisKraus » Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:20 pm

andrewbunn wrote:I have to agree - on the system at work there is a tender called "Rounding" which is invoked when certain tenders (e.g. cash) are used. It prints automatically and reports can be generated for it.

I also think that if rounding were to occur automatically for a particular tender e.g. cash - it would be great as not all employees will remember to press [F8]. :)
<HR>
About The .05 Rounding, I think it should happen automaticly when you press + to total the sale, It could even display in the box in the upper-right corner how much it was Rounded Up or down.

Just A Suggestion,
Chris :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaz

Re: Automatic Rounding

Post by Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaz » Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:02 am

chriskraus wrote:About The .05 Rounding, I think it should happen automaticly when you press + to total the sale, It could even display in the box in the upper-right corner how much it was Rounded Up or down.

Just A Suggestion,
Chris :)
Yes, but some sales like cheques and EFTPOS are processes exactly what the sale total is. If it's $32.98 then that's what they'll pay by EFTPOS and cheque. It's $33.00 by cash alone.

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:11 am

Baz,

Same here - this is why I said certain tenders could have an option to automatically round.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

barry hart

$rounding!

Post by barry hart » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:39 pm

What is your viewpoint on this dale?

barry hart

$rounding!

Post by barry hart » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:40 pm

What is your viewpoint on this dale?

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

What do you want?

Post by Dale Harris » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:01 pm

Barry,

I am assuming that what you are talking about is just reporting the accumulated total from all the day's rounding on the closing receipt. If that is all you want I could do that.
Dale

roudnig

barry

Post by roudnig » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:44 am

i confirm this.

this will make it easier to determine what is happening with the rounding.

it would be greatly appricated.

barry.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:24 pm

I have to agree - it would be much better if rounding was not dealt with by adjusting the first line of the sale.

Possibly an easy way for Dale to do it might be to create an item in the stock table exclusively for rounding (maybe SKU 0000000000000 - something that would never occur with your stock) without a category, and adjust rounding to that.

It would be great if it was displayed on the closing reports to. It would make things much more accountable.