POS version 7.04h released 2-4-11.

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
POS version 7.04h released 2-4-11.

Post by daleadmin » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:22 pm

So, what’s new in version 7.04h?

NOTE: The download files no longer have an .EX extension because renaming the extension from .EX to .EXE has proved to be way beyond the capabilities of some users. However when you click on the icon to download the file if you choose [RUN] instead of [SAVE] you will put dozens of files all over your desktop and be really unhappy. For the 64 bit Windows users there is a download .ZIP file since the .EXE files will not extract under 64 bit.

BUG FIXES
There was a problem with the PURCHASE.EXE program when used over a network, it would loose the header information and you would have to retype them.
When you loaded a sale into the “5. Voids” feature and the sale had a discount it would be off by a few pennies.
Plus the usual this and that.

NEW FEATURES

REMOTE.EXE
There has been an enhancement to the REMOTE.EXE program. This program allows you to sit in an office and watch on the screen as sales are being rung up on networked computers. The screen has 6 windows so you can monitor 6 registers in real time.
The problem was if you had more than 6 registers. To change the registers you are monitoring you had to exit the program, restart it, then type in a new PATH.
Now you can store up to 15 PATHs and when you want to change the setup press [ESC] to assign a new path to one of the windows. You do not have to type it in or exit the program then restart..

REC2CSV.EXE
A bunch of folks are not satisfied with the reports that DHPOS provides nor with the data that can be generated from DHPOS to create their own reports.

The new REC2CSV.EXE program will allow you to use the data from past transactions (the stuff you see in the “5. VOIDS” feature which is stored in the .REC file) to write a comma delimited data file that could be loaded into any spreadsheet program.

Only those transactions that are still in the file (if you are saving a file) will be written. So if you are only storing 100 transactions then this program can only write the last 100 transactions to the .CSV file. ALL transactions will be written in the range you choose, including OPEN, CLOSE, and NO SALE. Most all information in each transaction will be written.

Why would you want to do this? Well loading it into a spreadsheet program is not really that useful. However it will give you access to the data if you wish to write your own software to handle the data for whatever nefarious purpose you have in mind. This will require that you can write software or know someone that can. Some labels will be included in the file to help you parse the information.

You can write all transactions currently in the file, or you can choose to write only part of the file using the following options…

1. You can write only from the last transaction rung up to a previous date.
2. You can write only from the last transaction rung up to a particular transaction number.
3. You can write only those transactions that occurred on a specific date.
4. You can write only a specific transaction.

Just remember that you cannot write transactions that are no longer in the file. If you are saving only 100 transactions, and the last transaction rung up was 5000, then transaction 4898 is not in the .REC file and cannot be written to the .CSV file.

Text data may not contain quote marks ("). Before being written to the .CSV file all quotes will be changed to an apostrophe. Text data may contain commas.

This program is [F4] compliant. This means that if you know how you can program the main POS program to launch this program from the main menu of the POS program by pressing [F4]. Then when this program is finished you will be returned to the main menu of the POS program.

YOU SAVED
In the “Discount” feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program is a new text box at the bottom of the screen. If you enter some text in this box the receipts will have a “You saved” line but using the text you typed in. This line will appear just below the list of items you sold and will post the total of all reductions (not discounts) in the sale. Like this…

Code: Select all

STOCK NUMBER  DESCRIPTION        PRICE
       60004  COLOR KEY ONE SIDED          
T2   1    at      2.99ea          2.99
       60008  BRASS KEY ONE SIDED          
T1   2    at      2.59ea          5.18
      -88888  ALL ABOVE REDUCED 10%
T0   1    at     -.82ea          -0.82
--------------------------------------
     3            YOU SAVED      -0.82
--------------------------------------
            SUB TOTAL             7.35
Also note that the count of all items sold has been moved to this line.

Download from http://keyhut.com/pos3.htm

Remember to backup your POS folder first.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Re: 7.04h PROGRAMS.EXE a bit buggy

Post by brucef2112 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:37 am

Hi Dale,
Found some stuff that needs fixin with PROGRAMS.EXE and maybe within POS.EXE
Summary:
1) Typo on splash screen of PROGRAMS.EXE
2)Manually updating the NEXTFILE.DAT file has the potential to place the main POS.exe in an unstable state and cause it to crash:
3) Using the [TAB] key to start a new file and then exiting without any file name causes PROGRAMS.EXE to crash:
4)Start the PROGRAMS.EXE from the command line and exit the program and it starts POS.EXE instead of return to DOS.
5) A blank row or other rows blank in between the nine program names list in PROGRAMS.EXE will cause POS to crash if F4 choice made is empty.

Details:
1) This is simple fix and no harm done. Just a typo:
On the Welcome to 'Program Starter' instruction splash screen there is a typo in the configuration file name.
It currently reads:

....If you do not wish to be able to start other programs from the
 main POS menu then delete the NEXTFILE.BAT file and then pressing [F4]
 will do nothing.
The file name should read NEXTFILE.DAT not NEXTFILE.BAT

2)Manually updating the NEXTFILE.DAT file has the potential to place the main POS.exe in an unstable state and cause it to crash:
If a program file name is mis-spelled in the NEXTFILE.DAT file (ie the file name can't be found) it has the potential to place the main POS.exe in an unstable state if the user tries to use the F4 key from the POS main menu.

With a clean install (7.04h downloaded 2-2-11@11pm) I set up a minimal register with just the name and a single 6% tax value.
Created a NEXTFILE.DAT and added a non existing file name as if I mis-spelled the dos program I wanted to call.
Start the POS.EXE.
At the main menu press the F4 key. It will seem as if nothing has happened. However the seed for catastrophe has been planted.
Next hit [ENTER] to go to the purchase screen.
Once you are at the purchase screen hit [Esc] to return to the main menu.

The POS.EXE will lockup on the purchase screen. No error message, no screen dump, you have to restart the program. If you are at the purchase screen and ring a sale all will be good until you finish and return to the main menu.

Here is another scenario which makes the POS crash seem worse. As you know, If you create two registers, say Store1 and Store2, you will be prompted for which register to open on startup. However if you select your register and try the exercise above you'll find that when you restart the POS.EXE after crashing, it doesn't ask you to select which register you want to run. It just starts the one you were using when it last crashed. So it seems to me that something is left in a bad state when this crash thing happens.

The crashing is consistent. During this testing there is one thing that occurs which isn't consistent but leads to a clue that something bad happened.
On a few tests when pressing the F4 key from the main menu it would place all or part of the 'time' on the center of the top row of the screen.
Example if it was 1:20pm and the F4 key is pressed. the time would show up on the top of the menu choices like this.

=============1:20=============
or sometimes like this
==============:20=============

This does not seem to be consistent and most times doesn't happen. But in any case the program will crash when trying to return to the main menu from the purchase screen either by the user hitting the Esc key or the program finishing a sale and trying to return to the main menu.

After this I did configure one of the registers to keep the sales records to see if the crash affected the sales transaction. Even though something is set to crash by hitting the F4 key, the program does record the sale before it crashes when trying to return to the main menu. Again the program will bypass asking the user which register to open if there is more than one.

3) Using the [TAB] key to start a new file and then exiting without any file name causes PROGRAMS.EXE to crash:
This error is consistent and repeatable.
1.Start the PROGRAMS.EXE
2.Hit [Enter] twice to get past the splash screen and instructions.
a)If the register is already been setup, you'll see the screen that says 'Choose a file ....... Press TAB to create new file.'
Hit [TAB] to go to the data entry screen for the program names and descriptions.
b)If this is a fresh install without a register setup, you'll already be at the data entry screen.
3.With or without entering any data Hit [Esc] to continue and exit.
PROGRAMS.EXE will crash with the following error on screen.

Bad file name in line 8 of module PROGRAMS at address 0558:2B1E
Hit any key to return to system
4)Start the PROGRAMS.EXE from the command line and Exit the program and it will start POS.EXE instead of return to DOS.
I haven't figured out how to make this happen consistently. But in my testing of the above items there were at least 3 times that I exited out of PROGRAMS.EXE and it then started POS.EXE instead of returning to the DOS prompt.
Evidence of this is: Double click the PROGRAMS.EXE file and it opens in a DOS window. (title bar says 'Programs.exe').
Run the program. Hit [Esc] to exit program. It closes and then shells directly to the POS main menu. The title bar of the DOS window still shows PROGRAMS.EXE. Closing the POS by exiting, shuts down the POS and closes the DOS window.
I'm too tired to try again....

5) Also if while in the PROGRAMS.EXE if the user leaves the first row blank or other rows blank in between the program names, this will cause the POS to crash when the f4 key is used and a blank selection is made. ie user selects 1. the program crashes with this error message.

║  1.                          ║ █
                              ║                               ║ █
                              ║  2. txt read  1             █
                              ╚════════════ ═╝ █
File not found in line 8 of module PROGRAMS at address 0558:09DC

Hit any key to return to system

I think letting user have blank lines in the F4 menu would be OK. Say if they wanted to group differnt programs on the menu selection together . Just need to change code to gracefully handle an empty menu choice.

OK, I can't focus any more. I quit.... I'll try some more testing later,

As always Dale, Thanks for all your efforts!
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: POS version 7.04h released 1-2-11.

Post by daleadmin » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:38 pm

Bruce,

You do know that you are not supposed to actually TRY to kill the program files?

Don't you?

I will look at this tomorrow.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:13 am

Heyyyy, I'm testingggg heahh! :idea:
Sorry, but I have a software developer background. I learned long ago that when coding the user interface you have to test for *stupid*. If I didn't test for stupid it would make my phone ring. :-)

Since my last post I found out how to replicate the issue number four I listed in my previous post.
This is the one that after running the PROGRAMS.EXE and exiting, it would shell directly to the POS main menu (even if multiple registers were created) instead of just exiting to DOS.

With further testing I found that this occurs also with the TEXTREAD.EXE and the CLOSECNT.EXE programs.

This is just for Testing and debuging! I don't think any user would be doing the following! But I did do it and this is repeatable for testing/debugging purposes.
This all revolves around the weird state the POS was being left in after using the F4 feature to call a program that doesn't exist and the POS locks up.
Created a NEXTFILE.DAT and added a non existing file name as if I mis-spelled the dos program I wanted to call.
Start the POS.EXE.
At the main menu press the F4 key.
Next hit [ENTER] to go to the purchase screen.
Once you are at the purchase screen hit [Esc] to return to the main menu.
The POS locks up and you have to kill the DOS window.

If you then run one of the external programs, they themselves no longer function correctly. For starters they all bypass their splash screen and instruction screens. And when you try to exit the external program they will shell directly to the main menu of the POS (even if multiple registers have been created) instead of back to the DOS prompt. The POS program seems to recover on this shelled restart and you can use the Close Register menu choice which will close the POS and take you back to the DOS prompt.
For testing purposes to get this to happen again, you'd have to Start the POS program, do the steps outlined above to make it crash again to put it in this weird state and then run one of the external programs.
If you test this with the CLOSECNT.EXE you will see that it bypasses the splash/instruction/setup screens and will display like this.
Any numbers entered just stay at the top under the word 'Count'

And when you try to exit the program it will shell to the POS main screen instead of exiting to DOS.

The 'shelling' to the POS main menu can be replicated with PROGRAMS.EXE, TEXTREAD.EXE or the CLOSECNT.EXE program.

Thanks Dale,
RING.... RING..... RING...... :lol:
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:07 pm

Bruce,

In looking through your posts it seems that I have assumed that users would have a basic level of computer competency and not try to saw off their own foot by doing something fairly stupid like incorrectly entering the file name wrong and then not being able to figure it out.

While DHPOS has been written with the assumption that a small proportion of the store clerks would be fazed by the arcane talent of typing, I had assumed that the person tasked with the chore of setting up DHPOS would have mastered it.

You, it seems, do not agree. And after reviewing some of the email I have received lately I am forced to conceded that a tiny portion of folks that are trying to set up DHPOS may have chosen to perform a task way beyond the capabilities of themselves and the rest of their kindergarten class.

So I have tried to address some of your issues in the next version that I have uploaded.

1. I fixed the typo.

2. Now if the file name in the NEXTFILE.BAT file does not match any program file the program will state that “???????? cannot be run.” and return you to the main menu, the POS.EXE program will run normally. If you then kill the POS.EXE program and then restart it (why would you want to do that?) you will go through the usual start up. This also seems to have fixed the issue with the time being displayed on the screen.

3. I have changed PROGRAMS to not allow it create a new file. Also if there are no register files in the folder you cannot run PROGRAMS past the point where it looks for filenames.

4. I cannot get PROGRAMS to run POS.EXE when it should not. At what screen are you pressing [ESC] to get this to happen?

5. In PROGRAMS it is no longer possible to select a blank file. Also if the filename is incorrect the program will display Cannot run ‘?????????’

And now a short discussion on how various program files know if they are supposed to start from the beginning (splash screen, choose file, etc.) or they are supposed to go straight to the main menu or other function. This usually happens by the software placing a POSCONFG.DAT file in the folder. This file contains the register filename currently being used and possibly some other data. It is also possible, depending on what program is being launched, that the file will have a name other than POSCONFG.DAT.

So a program is launched, finds POSCONFG.DAT, then goes to the main menu.

OR

The program is launched, does not find POSCONFG.DAT, then goes to the splash screen etc.

So what happens if a daughter program is launched and it does not erase POSCONFG.DAT from the folder as it is supposed to? This could happen if the daughter program dies, or you kill the program manually, or an act of God, or massive global stupidity like Sudoku. Then when you start one of the programs by clicking on the icon it will find POSCONFG.DAT file and instead of opening with the splash screen it will take you to the main menu even though you do not want to go there!

The solution to this dilemma is to exit the program and restart it and you will find that (usually) the POSCONFG.DAT file has been deleted from the folder and the program starts up with the splash screen.

Thanks for your help; you have made DHPOS safer for 5 year olds everywhere. Milk and cookies for everyone.

Dale :P

Before posting this I have uploaded the new files. They are still version 7.04h. You can do a full download or just download http://www.dhpos.com/pos.exe and http://www.dhpos.com/programs.exe

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Re: POS version 7.04h released 2-4-11.

Post by brucef2112 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:20 am

[Bruce cowering at the computer]
AARRGG! All this technical babble is too much! My head is going to explode! OK!....OK!..... I admit IT!
I was just pretending to be a programmer and beta tester, OK.
I'm just a typical software luser. :-?
I am *REALLY* the stupid one who mis-typed the program name and had all these repeated problems because of it! :oops:
THERE!!! I *feel* better now..... :-)

ohh and Dal, thanks for making the program safer for me to use.
[Bruce has now been down graded from being as smart as a 5th grader, to that of a 5 year old.]
aahhhhh....... 8)

Dale, I'm sure the number 4)lockup/freezing issue will be resolved by the other fixes you mentioned. And your short discussion on the working of POSCONFG.DAT was good to know info!

As always, your efforts are appreciated Dale,
Bruce

[Bruce dunks the cookie and is happy again...]
Later,
Bruce