Alternate prices.

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
Alternate prices.

Post by daleadmin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:46 am

Well this did not take long. One day since the last version and I have a brand new feature.

Several folks out there have two classes of customers, the regular customer, and the chosen. You would not want to charge the chosen the regular price so the folks want to have two price lists in the stock table.

Well there are already two price lists in the stock table, one for regular prices and one for the sale prices. Since I am the lazy type I am now giving everyone the option of using the sale price column either for sale prices or alternate prices. This is much easier (for me) than changing the entire stock table to add another column of prices.

Some will complain that they want to be able to use sale prices and alternate prices at the same time plus another column for alternate sale prices. This would mean adding two additional price columns to the stock table. To quote an ancient hippy philosopher, “Life is harsh.” Actually he said something similar but I am trying to be nice here. A few will want 2 alternate price columns (or more) in the stock table with an associated sale price column for each. These folks should just quietly go away.

To get this to work there are two things you need to do after downloading the new files. In the “Stock table” feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program set “Use SALE PRICE as an ALTERNATE PRICE” to “YES.”

Now when you are ringing up a sale there will be a colored strip at the left / center of the screen that will say either [F4] REGULAR PRICES or [F4] ALTERNATE PRICES. Press [F4] to toggle between the two. You must press [F4] before entering the stock number to actually change the function for the item you are ringing up. The function will stay set until you press [F4] again so at the start of the next sale make sure it is set to what you want. You can press [F4] many times during the sale so that some items are the regular price and others are the alternate price.

If the alternate price in the stock table is 0.00 and you have selected to use alternate prices then the regular price will be used. This means that if the regular and alternate prices are the same for an item you only have to enter the regular price in the stock table.

If you press [F1] to display the stock table the prices displayed will be either regular or alternate depending on which you are ringing up.

The receipt will not indicate if regular or alternate prices have been used for individual items or the entire sale. And it is going to STAY that way. No crabbing allowed.

Well one more item has been removed from the “think about it” pile. It is now way smaller than Montana.

I am looking for beta testers. To try this out you must have download and be using version 7.04h. Now make backups of your current POS.EXE and POSCONFG.EXE program files. Replace them with these http://keyhut.com/pos.exe and http://keyhut.com/posconfg.exe Do not be concerned with the keyhut.com/ domain. I have maxed out my prodigy.net space and the dhpos.com site is holding the current release versions of these files. These files are version 7.04hx.

andy1m
Forum Regular

Re: Alternate prices.

Post by andy1m » Sat May 21, 2011 3:04 am

I tried this feature yesterday. I want to give our regular customers a special price. But when I tried this feature I was not sure which price I actually using.
Last edited by andy1m on Tue May 24, 2011 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat May 21, 2011 8:05 am

andy1m,

When the banner reads "[F4] Regular prices" the next line you ring up will be at the regular price.

When the banner reads "[F4] Alternate prices" the next line you ring up will be at the alternate price.

Dale

andy1m
Forum Regular

Post by andy1m » Tue May 24, 2011 1:01 am

Thks! I reformatted my Linux system and installed Windows. It it working fine now. :P

oeb
Forum Regular

Post by oeb » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:40 am

Great feature! Would it be possible to reset it between each sale? I can imagine that it could be easy to forget and then risk selling stuff far too cheap to regular customers.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:47 am

Oeb,

I had thought of that but for some users most of their customers are the "chosen" and they want use the alternate prices for most of their sales. They do not want to have to remember to change to alternate pricing almost every time.

I can't win.

Dale

oeb
Forum Regular

Post by oeb » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:56 am

Well, since the background is red for alternative prices it's quite easy to distinguish. I haven't made a mistake so far :).