Payroll-SB (DHPOS Payroll) - new version progress...

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Pete
Occasional Poster
Payroll-SB (DHPOS Payroll) - new version progress...

Post by Pete » Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:13 pm

how is payroll 2.0 coming along?

ive seen the screen shots and they look brillant!

will you be able to use a normal USB Printer with it?

when payroll is finished are you going to create a link so that people can download it?

cheers
pete
Peter
- England

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:03 am

As posted in other threads I have been having some difficulty with the development software - which may have been remedied.

The screenshots on the site were for the old project, it is still similar though. Payroll will be a windows based program - which of course uses windows printers.

The download will be on the Payroll site http://payroll.notlong.com

ETA - Due to the aforementioned troubles, I won't be putting a date on the release. So as I complete an item, I will post the update info in this thread.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:17 am

TODAY'S PROGRESS REPORT

Completed
Today the interface for editing employee data has been completed. This is no small task due to the massive increase in the number of details to be stored on each individual.

Also added during a break was a "Check for updates" feature, "What's new?" and "About this program".

Next up (short term)
Later this week work will begin on getting the program to read data from employee files and displaying it appropriately within the aforementioned interface. Then, following on, the ability to make changes and have them saved back to the employee files successfully will be worked on also.

It is estimated these tasks will take the better part of this week and probably into next week also.

Next up (long term)
After the whole employee data section is completed - work will begin on the Configuration section of the program, which must be completed before work begins on perhaps the biggest task - Pay Processing. Pay Processing relies on many of the options set in Configuration and this is why that section must be completed first.

See you in the next update (perhaps a few tantalising screenshots too). :)

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

More employees

Post by Dale Harris » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:27 am

Andrew,

Do you remember in chat a week ago that it was discussed that the POS program is going to eventually increase the maximum number of employees to 56? Will payroll be able to handle 56 employees?
Dale

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Re: More employees

Post by ChrisKraus » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:00 pm

Dale Harris wrote:Andrew,

Do you remember in chat a week ago that it was discussed that the POS program is going to eventually increase the maximum number of employees to 56? Will payroll be able to handle 56 employees?
<HR>
What is up with these odd employee numbers? It's like 28 and 56, it's like they're usual numbers. Why can't you do numbers like 30 and 55?

Just Really Wondering,
Chris :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Why not?

Post by Dale Harris » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:08 pm

Chris,

Well it gives you something to do.

28 was chosen because if fit well on the screen and I thought that it would be more than anyone would need when the program was only for a single register store.

Now that more are needed I chose 56 because it is twice 28 and will be displayed on the screen as a second page meaning that I will have to add minimal code to the program to be able to enter the second page of employee names.
Dale

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:48 am

Chris

Think back to the stock table increase, why was it set at 5,000 - why did it increase to a specific 13,000? Sometimes file/memory restricts how we stagger limits. Your question is like...why does RAM go up in multiples like 8, 16, 32, 64 etc...

Dale, this will not be a problem - just let me know when it changes :P

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:21 pm

SCREENSHOTS UPDATE

Top of the main window:

Employees tabs (5 pics):

User Manual (connects to website, shows latest manual):

Checking for updates (connects to website, checks for updates):

Bobby
Forum Regular

Wow!

Post by Bobby » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:58 am

Wow Andrew,

Very impressive!!!

Bobby

cmputerman
Forum Regular

WOW!

Post by cmputerman » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:22 pm

WOW! Those screenshots were amazing! I hope the next version of Payroll comes out soon! :D

Peter

when can we try payroll ?

Post by Peter » Tue May 04, 2004 9:49 pm

Waiting keenly for your new payroll software. When can we try testing , etc ?

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Tue May 04, 2004 9:56 pm

Peter,

This is why I started this thread - to post updates as I work on the new version. Currently I am working on a couple of other projects and am now considering moving all Payroll data to an Access database or two, as this would make data selectiong much easier via the use of SQL.

We shall see. Future updates will be posted here, I might reveal a very early test version which only includes employee data functionality, to get that section tested while I work on the other areas.

Thanks,

Andrew
Site Administrator

2.0 Alpha 01 available now

Post by Andrew » Wed May 05, 2004 1:00 am

OK - you guys asked for it, here it is...

DHPOS Payroll 2.0 Alpha Copy 01

Download here: http://payrolltesters.notlong.com

Important:

Instructions are provided in the README.TXT file included in the zip file, please read it.

Do not install in the same folder as DOS Payroll.

Report bugs in this thread (not in new topics) or via email, thanks.

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Thu May 13, 2004 12:23 am

TODAY'S PROGRESS REPORT

Completed
Disbursement and Deduction information is now saved along with the other Employee data when you click "Save Changes". :)

A user interface for editing the fonts and possibly a logo or image for reports (printouts) has been completed and works. Later - when reports such as Employee Details are printed, it will use settings from this interface to alter the fonts used on the printout.

Next up (short term)
Information on the Misc tab is not yet saved, as the file format for that is still being finalised, there is some other data I need to cram into the file where Misc data will be held.

Finalising the file format for options (which may now be in an Access MDB file) before starting work on the Pay Processing interface and function.

James L

when can we expect payroll ?

Post by James L » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:38 pm

Interested to try out working payroll software