pos for pocket pp

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

crocker
pos for pocket pp

Post by crocker » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:14 pm

Hi
Is it possible to get your POS software on pocket pc ,Dale??

If Not, is there any way to get DOS on a pocket pc?

can use pocket dos and if you need copy of pcoket dos go to http://www.pocketdos.com

If you get pos working on pockket pc or a palm. E-Mail how you got it to work whit out ues pocket dos E-Mail Me At crocker2@cox.net

Thank You!!!

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

DHPOS on Pocket PC

Post by ChrisKraus » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:39 pm

crocker wrote:Hi
Is it possible to get your POS software on pocket pc ,Dale??

If Not, is there any way to get DOS on a pocket pc?

can use pocket dos and if you need copy of pcoket dos go to http://www.pocketdos.com

If you get pos working on pockket pc or a palm. E-Mail how you got it to work whit out ues pocket dos E-Mail Me At crocker2@cox.net

Thank You!!!
<HR>
Well, I guess if you have a Pocket PC, you could try out Pocket DOS and DHPOS on it.

- Chris :)

Also, You could try going on any search engine and searching for:

Code: Select all

POS Software for Pocket PC
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:56 pm

Yes, you can run DHPOS on your pocketpc with the Dos emulator for it. I was demoing the software for my boss to see if he would be interested in the software for a POS system. It does run slow on my Ipaq 1945 but it is only 300 mhz anyway. If you have a newer better model it would probably run much faster.

It would be awesome if you could use the pocket pc as a mini register. There are two programs that emulate dos on the pocket pc so the software is already there. You could connect a pda keyboard for it via physical conection, infared, or bluetooth keyboards. There are now compact flash cards that can connect to a svga monitor. There are also a number of barcode reader that can connect via the compact flash slot or the bottem connector. It might be possible by using a bluetooth dongle on a printer and programming it to open the cash register also

It would be cool to see but not very feasible and relieable right now.

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Post by ChrisKraus » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:56 pm

Anonymous wrote:Yes, you can run DHPOS on your pocketpc with the Dos emulator for it. I was demoing the software for my boss to see if he would be interested in the software for a POS system. It does run slow on my Ipaq 1945 but it is only 300 mhz anyway. If you have a newer better model it would probably run much faster.

It would be awesome if you could use the pocket pc as a mini register. There are two programs that emulate dos on the pocket pc so the software is already there. You could connect a pda keyboard for it via physical conection, infared, or bluetooth keyboards. There are now compact flash cards that can connect to a svga monitor. There are also a number of barcode reader that can connect via the compact flash slot or the bottem connector. It might be possible by using a bluetooth dongle on a printer and programming it to open the cash register also

It would be cool to see but not very feasible and relieable right now.
<HR>
I think it would be cool to have DHPOS on a Pocket PC so you could use it like a PDT (Portable Data Terminal). They're those things that look like really big handheld scanners.

- Chris :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:06 pm

Check out this for a good view of some of them.

http://www.expansys.com/accessory.asp?c ... pe=BARSCAN

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:17 pm

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:54 pm

There is a program called Pocket Register for the Palm platform, but I have not investaged further.

Jonathan S.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Post by Jonathan S. » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:09 am

Oh well... I have just about given up on this. I personally think running POS on a pocket PC is a downright horrible idea, UNLESS it is for demo purposes. Let me go over a few things here....
DOS runs on a type of chip called "x86", which includes the 8086, 286, 386, 486, and all the "pentium" chips, as well as most of the AMD chips. Pocket PC's do not have such a chip... they almost always have something called a "RISC" chip, which works in a very different way (there is one notable exception, which I will get to in a moment). To put things simply, you can't run an x86 program on a RISC chip... it's that simple. The only way you can is to run it under an emulater, which aside from slowing things down significantly also does not always work.

While you probably could shoe-horn a Pocket PC into running POS, it would indeed be slow (remember, it ran slow on a 300mhz pocket PC... POS runs great on a 20mhz 386 chip normally), and the number of accesories available is limited. There are some bar code scanners, and if the pocket pc supports serial then it can possibly handle some serial accesories. Maybe I'm missing something here, but it just doesn't make much sense to me?

Anyway, the HP200LX palmtop should do what you want, but expect to pay for it... even on ebay used they are about $170, and this is years old technology. The device actually comes with DOS 5, and it should be able to run POS without difficulty, although I have not and do not plan on testing this, unless someone would like to send me one :)

Jonathan Simpson

Bobby
Forum Regular

LOL Laptop

Post by Bobby » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:55 pm

For $170 you can get a decent pII laptop...

crocker

pos help for pocket

Post by crocker » Sun May 09, 2004 10:43 am

Hi
How to get pos on a pocket?
I will pay for it.

E-Mail Me At crocker2@cox.net

Thank You!!!

P.S> God Loves You And Have A Good Day!!!

Jonathan S.

Post by Jonathan S. » Sun May 09, 2004 10:30 pm

As we have told you before, you can run it using pocket DOS, which is easily located using google. As far as how well it works, I have no idea, and quite honestly I can't see much use in running POS on a device such as this. If you need mobile access to your inventory, a custom application capable of remotly reading and displaying the stock table would be a much better idea, since such an application could be built to run on the device without the emulation required for pocket dos.

Jonathan Simpson

crocker

pos for pocket pc help

Post by crocker » Sun May 09, 2004 11:50 pm

Hi
It did not work will.

Thank You!!!

P.S. God Loves You And Have A Good Day!!!

smckane
Forum Regular

Post by smckane » Mon May 10, 2004 10:39 am

POS is not designed to run on a PPC, so the fact that it did not work well is hardly surprising. In the future, versions of DOS emulators may allow it to run better. However these are out of the control of anyone here. Unless Dale dumps everything he is doing and works on a PPC version, I don't think it likely that POS ever will run as well on a PPC device than a native DOS/Windows system.

The idea for it working on a PPC does have merits (shelf edge stock control, mobile price checking, etc.), but very few people currently using POS, IMHO, would want this feature, and the conversion problems are not small!

Perhaps it may be time for you to shell out a few quid to buy a piece of software designed to work on a handheld?

In other words - it ain't gonna happen soon, very few people want it to happen at all, don't waste your time waiting for it to happen :)

Stewart

chilewillie
Forum Regular

Post by chilewillie » Mon May 10, 2004 1:02 pm

I think perhaps there are more of us out here than you suspect that would find PPC functionality for POS incredibly useful. I am using POS not for retail merchandise sales but for recording park entry fees, site rentals for our campground and other tourist service fees. It would be a tremendous advantage for us to be able to have POS on a PPC for staff members to be more mobile during the course of their work. Using a POS on a PPC connected to our network via wireless would be fantastic. Just my two cents.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Mon May 10, 2004 8:34 pm

As was said... getting POS to run on a pocket PC is no small feet, and since the screens are usually an even lower resolution than what POS has, it doesn't look so good, even when you get it to run. If you must have a mobile handheld device, perhaps a tablet PC would be more appropriate... pocket PC's are just not meant to run DOS apps (doesn't mean they can't, just means it's difficult), and POS just isn't meant for pocket PC's.