Linux

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

notirb
Linux

Post by notirb » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:54 pm

I'm fairly new to this cool POS. Are there any plans to write a Linux version, or is there already Linux installation info that I just haven't found yet?

Brit

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:53 pm

Sorry, this software is written in QBasic - which is strictly DOS. I have heard of some people being able to run POS using an emulator or such in Linux, but this is more Jonathan Simpson's field and he may reply with more information.

There have also been requests to make a windows version, but seeing as the DOS version works on most windows machines - there is really no point. Besides, Dale Harris' expertise are in QBasic and he's very good at what he knows.

To start a different version would require him to retrain in other areas, it's taken a few years to get to this awesome point (while he still works fulltime and manages a family too).

Besides, what other POS system can run on that old DOS based 386 you got sitting in the closet? :-D
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:35 pm

You can easily use Cash Register most other DOS programs on Linux with DOSEMU, availible at http://www.dosemu.org/

taylorchapman

Cash Register Compatibility with Linux

Post by taylorchapman » Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:35 pm

I know for a fact that Cash Register works with the Windows port of DosBox, an opensource software. So, there is no reason that it should not work with the other ports of DosBox which include, SuSe Linux, BeOS 5, Gentoo Linux, Red Hat Linux, FreeBSD, MorphOS, Amiga68k, Debian woody.

sfrk001
Forum Regular

Post by sfrk001 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:42 pm

Windows works best with this software, even xp :D

davamundo

xdosemu

Post by davamundo » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:26 am

Dales cash register runs just fine in linux, using xdosemu, as any well written dos program should. Thanks Dale !

Jonathan Simpson
Site Administrator

Post by Jonathan Simpson » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:38 am

Yup, POS runs nicely on linux using DOSEMU or xdosemu, and in fact you can do some really cool stuff with it on these systems. It can be complicated to get printing to work, but it can happen :)
Jonathan Simpson
Check out the Dale Harris chat room @ http://www.home-nets.biz/chat

peachey13
Forum Regular

Post by peachey13 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:44 pm

does anybody know where i can download mandake move from???

thanks in advance,
peachey111213
-peachey13[AT]gmail.com

smckane
Forum Regular

Post by smckane » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:56 pm

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en-us/ I think you just missed out the r :-)

Other options to consider include RedHat and SuSe - both really great distros imho.

Stewart