PRODIGY DOA !!!!!!!!

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
PRODIGY DOA !!!!!!!!

Post by daleadmin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:03 pm

I have just found out that AT&T / Yahoo is obliterating all of their user's non-"att.net" websites which includes PRODIGY.NET. This means that all of my prodigy.net/ webpages are going to be destroyed. This does not affect this forum, chat or the mirror site at DHPOS.COM

I have moved all the "pages.prodigy.net/daleharris" pages to "keyhut.com/ pages" So ,for example, if you want to go to...

http://pages.prodigy.net/daleharris/pos.htm

you can instead go to

http://keyhut.com/pos.htm

or of course

http://dhpos.com/pos.htm

The "pages.prodigy.net/daleharris" pages will be left up until they die a horrible death in June 2011.

**********Dale gets to rant.*************
This is really a nasty thing for AT&T / Yahoo to do. Over the last 15 years I have been promoting my Prodigy site the best I could. All of my software (not only DHPOS but all of my educational stuff also) that has been downloaded in that time directs my users to my Prodigy site. Will I now lose all of those users come June?

All of my #1 rankings on Google, Yahoo, Ask, Bing, etc. are for my Prodigy site. Do I have to start all over at #23,252,114 ?

My permanent link that I promised other sites they could always link to to download DHPOS at http://pages.prodigy.net/daleharris/pos.zip will soon no longer exist.

All my software has to be recompiled with "keyhut.com/" links.

All the other sites that link to my site will either have to change the links (if I can find them and tell them to do so) or have dead links.

All past mentions if my software in other forums, blogs, tweets, instructional pages, help pages, etc. will now have dead links.

Thank you AT&T Yahoo, you have made my life SO much better!!!

Dale :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Re: PRODIGY R.I.P.

Post by brucef2112 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:02 pm

Wow! Prodigy brings back memories for me. E-mail, message boards, banner ads and news craws all on 2400 bps modems. Ohh and extra per minute charges if you went over your allotted monthly minutes! Another thing I didn't like about Prodigy back then was that Sears owned part of it. I HATED SEARS! I always felt plundered after shopping there. And always felt raped after leaving their auto care centers. This was one of the reasons I left Prodigy and went to Earthlink.

According to AT&T's news release they make this "att.net" 'upgrade' sound like the greatest thing of all! [Yes, they refer to this as an upgrade in service] What a bunch of Yahoo!s
This is a bad thing, for all the reasons you mentioned, Dale. I feel your pain. I'm sure your feeling plundered and raped about now.
Hopefully ATT will be redirecting prodigy addys for a long time.

Prodigy......RIP.......
My condolences to you Dale, :cry:
Bruce
Last edited by brucef2112 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: PRODIGY DOA !!!!!!!!

Post by daleadmin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:14 pm

Bruce,

You are thinking of the old, original Prodigy.com, and I was on that also, I joined in 1992. Then about 1997 we had to migrate to Prodigy.net which was just an internet IP and all the old Prodigy.com content just died. After several mergers, splits, buyouts, etc. it ended up being owned by AT&T and they teamed up with Yahoo to run the thing. At some point in there they stopped allowing new signups to Prodigy. I guess if I had had any brains that I would have then found a new host and my own domain name.

Stupid me,
Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:28 pm

Dale.
Don't be too hard on your self.
Who would of ever thought that a chunk of the Internet could actually go away? Die?! Vanish?! Be gone forever?!? Thats Crazy Talk!!!
I would have never thought this to be.

Well,..... I guess its can...
b
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:59 pm

Worse yet!!!! What will happen to *all* those PayPal donations to daleharris@prodigy.net???
You'll never be notified!! Ohh my :(

Later,
Bruce
Later,
Bruce

peewee3ie
Forum Regular

Post by peewee3ie » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:01 am

Hi Dale,

Sorry to here about your main site

I have done this before

In the meta tags of the old site that is at produgy.net you should add "www.keyhut.com/pos.htm " to it and do it to all the pages that you have there and when google or otther serach sites do the web cral they will pick it up and do a scan of the keyhut site as well.

Also you should add "www.dhpos.com" to it meta tags as well. it will help to bring your site back up to being the big number ONE
Tony McGuire
Ireland Support

jake69
Forum Regular

Post by jake69 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:02 am

Dear Dale,

Got your message and did what I should have done 6 years ago (yes its 6 years now I am using DHPOS). I added your link on our website: http://stilgewohnt.at/ueber.htm

I hope your site will jump the Google million listing soon....

Wish you well,