Open cash drawer when printing

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
Open cash drawer when printing

Post by daleadmin » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:43 am

It seems that some printers will not use control codes to know when to open the cash drawer but will instead open the drawer whenever they print. But you've got to set it up. Jeff was having this problem with an Epson Tm-88VI printer, solved it, and email the following to me...
=======================================================================================
Ok Dale I figured it out. It actually had nothing to do with the code, the code was fine. It had to do with the printer driver in windows. I guess for this printer you have to go into the properties and set the printer to allow codes to be sent to the cash drawer, I am sure the procedure is different for other versions of windows but they must be similar. Here is how it worked on Vista.
Right click printer Icon.
Properties
Printing Preferences
Document settings
Cash drawer
Now you will see Cash drawer #1 (2 pins) and Cash Drawer #2 (5 pins)
Each one has these options
Do not open (do not send command)
Open before printing
Open After printing

I put open after printing on both and it works good now.

Thank you,
Jeff
=======================================================================================
However not all printers work the same. You may have to modify the "Properties" on different printers differently. and of course only a few printers will need the "Properties" modified at all to open the drawer.

Very few receipt printers will require that the printer driver be modified before they will open the cash drawer attached to it. After modification some will open the cash drawer whenever they print anything and you will have to do nothing here. In other cases you will still have to enter a control code here for your printer to open the drawer.

After installing the printer driver for your receipt printer in the Window's 'Printer & Faxes' folder right click on the icon for your printer. Now click on [Properties]. In many cases a window with several tabs will open up. Click on the tabs one at a time to see if they will refer to opening the cash drawer. If they, do you will have to refer to your printer's manual and enter the proper settings / data for your printer to open the cash drawer.

If the printer can be set to open the drawer whenever it prints then on this feature leave the setting to [Printer] and on the following screen leave the codes all set to zeros.

andy1m
Forum Regular

Re: Open cash drawer when printing

Post by andy1m » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:56 am

Is there any way to open the drawer faster? I'm using Epson TM-U220 with a drawer attached to it. Everytime I print a receipt there is a delay in openig the drawer, something like 2-3 seconds.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Andy1m,

The signal to open the cash drawer is sent to your printer before the receipt text is sent. After that it is up to your printer to open the drawer.

Dale

andy1m
Forum Regular

Post by andy1m » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:39 pm

I use Epson's receipt printer TM-U220. The printing got started first then the drawer open later. Or may be because I use Windows 98 instead of DOS.