Customer display with Flash

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

CBL
Customer display with Flash

Post by CBL » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:24 pm

The PCdsp program can now run flash movies:
- When a terminal is not in use
- When a sale is being processed
- When the total is displayed to the customer
- When the transaction has been finalised

More information & download here: http://mywebpage.netscape.com/pcpossw

Cheers! :)

BTW, is there any real interest in this program? Please give me comments/suggestions. If I don't hear anything, I probably won't bother putting any future updates online.

Jonathan S.

Post by Jonathan S. » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:39 am

Sounds pretty interesting to me, anyway :)
When I finish with the serial pole stuff, I'll look at it a bit more.

Jonathan Simpson

Alan
POS Guru

Must try

Post by Alan » Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:19 am

I'll need to find some time to play with my pole display and this screen idea.

I noticed recently that IBM have a POS system which has an colour LCD customer display mounted on the rear which display special offers and the total at the bottom. It behaves like a screensaver.

alan

Alan
POS Guru

Ok it works!

Post by Alan » Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:55 pm

I've tested it and both versions work - its a fantastic idea, and it is used in retail.

Snags though:

1) It comes up with a dollar sign - any chance of no currency sign?

2) I can't get it to display on the 2nd monitor! It defaults to the primary monitor and won't budge!

Alan

CBL

Update

Post by CBL » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:50 pm

I have updated the Flash version.

To move it, click on a 'clear' space on the window and the title bar will appear for you to drag it to its proper location. Click again to save the settings and hide the title bar.

Also, if you want to change the currency sign, add a line to the [Settings] section of 'display.ini' in the program folder. If the 'Currency' line is not found, the program will default to dollars. Eg:

[Settings]
Currency=£

I will update the 'vanilla' version later. :)

Alan
POS Guru

Great!

Post by Alan » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:45 am

Excellent, will play later in the week :)

Alan

Alan
POS Guru

I'm having nightmares

Post by Alan » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:13 am

I'm having problems with it still :(

1) Got the currency working

2) I'm having problems trying to get it to work with Windows 2000 (I had 98 loaded before), seems that if you put DH-POS into full screen mode the other screen goes blank.

3) The auto minimise feature does what the hell it likes, and it minimises while i'm using POS!!!!! I nearly sent the monitor flying off the desk - thats how annoying it was :roll: It does this when I return to the menu, and it does'nt reappear automatically.

I'd rather keep it on permanently!

4) The black part which displays the merchandise being sold is also just as random, it appears sometimes then disappears at other times..

Alan
The Bug Reporter...

Alan
POS Guru

Still testing!

Post by Alan » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:32 pm

Well i'm still trying various things today!

I've loaded Win98 back on the till, and I'm using the latest Flash version of the program.

If I run DH-POS full screen it minimises itself after a few seconds, along with the cust display program! So i've been using POS in a window.

It seems that if I load the cust display program once I've started DH-POS the black description field starts working, but as soon as I exit the transaction it disappears... If I load the program before DH-POS the black field does'nt come up at all. The amount due, change part works at all times.

I'm going to go and learn a bit of Flash to get a few fancy things happening...

Alan

CBL

Hmmm.....

Post by CBL » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:57 am

I won't be able to update the program for another day or two, but:

It was designed to minimize when you are not in a sale. This was from before I added the flash functionality to the program, I just ran a presentation behind the display program. If the program can find the files in the 'flash' directory, it won't minimize.

I am guessing that you haven't got employees set up? If so, that's probably why the program is misbehaving. I will remedy it soon, but I'd say that if you set up employees, that should solve your problems for the time being.

Let me know how you go,
CBL. :)

Alan
POS Guru

Ahhh!

Post by Alan » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:15 am

Did'nt know that!

I will try setting up some employees and get back to you.

I'm also going to try Flash MX and play with it!

Alan

CBL

Post by CBL » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:02 pm

Minor update to Flash version - now handles reductions correctly.

CBL

PLU Pics...

Post by CBL » Wed May 12, 2004 7:16 pm

New feature - it can now display an image for specific items.

Just create a folder called "images" and a 145x145 bitmap called PLU.bmp and it will be displayed when the item is added to the sale.

This feature is in the Flash version only. The "vanilla" version will no longer be developed.

bob5731
Forum Regular

files

Post by bob5731 » Mon May 23, 2005 12:36 am

More information & download here ware.

Re: Customer display with Flash

Post by Guest » Mon May 23, 2005 9:40 am

Hi your link is not working !!!

thanks

CBL wrote:The PCdsp program can now run flash movies:
- When a terminal is not in use
- When a sale is being processed
- When the total is displayed to the customer
- When the transaction has been finalised

More information & download here: http://mywebpage.netscape.com/pcpossw

Cheers! :)

BTW, is there any real interest in this program? Please give me comments/suggestions. If I don't hear anything, I probably won't bother putting any future updates online.

CBL

Post by CBL » Tue May 24, 2005 4:41 am

Hello. I have mentioned before (in another thread) that PCdsp and MyReceipt is no longer available online. As DHPOS evolved, small and seemingly insignificant things changed that caused these two programs to become unstable. (For example - MyReceipt will no longer work at all because one 'divider' line was removed from the receipt.)

I have been working on them every now and then when I have a chance, and maybe if I can get it right, I will release them again. If I do, you will probably have a multi-line customer display in PCdsp to play with.