Suggestions for DHPOS

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Robert_Nel
Forum Regular
Suggestions for DHPOS

Post by Robert_Nel » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:46 am

Suggestions for DHPOS program :

1- Text/data from reports files be able to be saved in seperate directorys
2- Journal files be saved in seperate directorys
3- Pin required when voiding a sale / line on the Purchase screen
4- Printing setup colums be from 1 to 80 charactors , instead of 40 or 80 charactors
5- Password for access to "STOCK " update program

A fantastic program , been using it since version 3.47

Robert Nel
Robert R Nel

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:55 am

1 - I like it (although it is easy to find them in the POS folder)
2 - Unsure
3 - I think you mean Password for voiding lines/sales, in which case, I like it
4 - Who has a one (1) column printer?
5 - STOCK is made by Jon Simpson, not Dale, so you would have to ask him.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Robert_Nel
Forum Regular

Suggestions for DHPOS

Post by Robert_Nel » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:37 am

Hi ,
3- Pin number or password. Password would be better
4- I have 36 colum printer , the reciepts and reports are printed on meters of paper.
2- The "journal files" re: coded *.DJE ect
5- This is for Jon Simpson. Security purposes so unauthorized people cannot change the Stock Table.

Robert Nel
Robert R Nel

GAWG
Forum Regular

Re: Suggestions for DHPOS

Post by GAWG » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:21 am

Robert_Nel wrote:Suggestions for DHPOS program :

1- Text/data from reports files be able to be saved in seperate directorys
2- Journal files be saved in seperate directorys
ditto

Jonathan S.

Post by Jonathan S. » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:15 am

I'll see about the password thing... really the only reason Stock doesn't have password protection is that I didn't know that anyone was using it :)

Should be fairly easy.
Jonathan

Robert_Nel
Forum Regular

Suggestins

Post by Robert_Nel » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:21 pm

Hi Jonothan,
I use the "STOCK" program everyday. I own a Restaurant/Pub and use the "purchase" program to order stock everyday and the "stock " program to update everyday.

Robert Nel
Robert R Nel

Jonathan Simpson
Site Administrator

Post by Jonathan Simpson » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:34 pm

Wow! In that case I will look into it shortly. However, I would point out that the origional intention of the stock program was to not actually have it on the register :) But on the other hand it makes sense to have password protection, as well. This feature was actually started, but never finished. Is there anything else you would find helpful?

Jonathan Simpson

Robert_Nel
Forum Regular

Stock program suggestion

Post by Robert_Nel » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:52 am

Hi Jonothan,
Would it be possible to do all changes and then "update". At the moment an update has to take place with each change.Also sometimes after changes via the "stock" program the stock item numbers disappear from the stock table view screen in POS, they will appear again after running the cursor over the stock number item colum via POS program.
I do changes direct to the stock table daily because a stock check takes place at the end of each shift. I also use this method to enter new stock at the same time.

Robert Nel
Robert R Nel

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Re: Suggestions for DHPOS

Post by ChrisKraus » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:40 pm

Robert_Nel wrote:4- Printing setup colums be from 1 to 80 charactors , instead of 40 or 80 charactors
<HR>
An easier idea is to just add 36 as a charctors across option, so the options would look like this:

Code: Select all

36 / 40 / 80
- Chris :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

smckane
Forum Regular

Post by smckane » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:40 pm

However Chris, my printer is 79 characters (God only knows why :lol: ) so a variable width option would be very nice, though I suspect quite code intensive on Dale's side!

Hey ho :-)

Stewart

Jonathan Simpson
Site Administrator

Post by Jonathan Simpson » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:40 pm

I wouldn't even want to think about how to deal with any possible number of widths... scary. The only real solution to these types of problems is to have a custom reciept layout, which, unfortunatly, is also very difficult to program. I would imagine the overhead for such a program would be such that it would need to be external, and actually creating/ saving/ usign a specific layout without any bugs is also no small accomplishment.

Jonathan Simpson

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Post by ChrisKraus » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:05 pm

smckane wrote:However Chris, my printer is 79 characters (God only knows why :lol: ) so a variable width option would be very nice, though I suspect quite code intensive on Dale's side!

Hey ho :-)

Stewart
<HR>
New Idea - Just Have An Option Like This:

Code: Select all

Charcters Across: 36-80
- Chris :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Great idea

Post by Dale Harris » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:31 pm

Chris,

That is a fine idea. One slight drawback is that if you print less than 40 characters wide (on a 40 character format) or less than 80 characters wide (on a 80 character format) do you want to not print the characters on the left of the receipt or the right of the receipt? And since those columns on the edges of the receipt contain important information (particularly the right side) aren't you going to really miss that information?
Dale

Alan temp

Interesting thought

Post by Alan temp » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:22 pm

I think some people have come onto the forum asking why their Epson U-950P does'nt work properly with POS.

I have found in Europe that many are still using the reciept & journal printers ie Fujitsu TeamPOS, Wincor Nixdorf ND75, IBM Model 4, Epson 930/950II and the newer Epson RP-420 which uses even smaller paper rolls.

Another use that I have seen for the Epson RP-420 was in drycleaning, where one side had thicker blue paper for tagging the garments, and the other kept a journal of the items in for cleaning. I think this was attached to an IBM 4694 with standard IBM suremark printer for reciepts.

Many companies seem to be prefer paper journals, I don't know if thats because of server storage/network bandwidth or the software simply does'nt support it.

Alan

edseah

Customer Buying History

Post by edseah » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:29 am

Currently, we can only pull out the last purchase but we don't know what did the customer buy the last few transaction.

I have customer coming in and say my kids love the stuff i bought the last time, do you still have that? and they kinda think that if you have custmoer database on the PC, you must be able to retrieve the records.

So would this be a good suggestion to add to the POS?

Rgds
Edmud