99,000 lines in the stock table

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
Re: 99,000 lines in the stock table

Post by daleadmin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:15 pm

Here are the results of today's efforts (New file, see below) it is version 7.04e26

Has anyone tried this over a network? One change I made in this version is that the reports program closes the stock table file when it is sorting the data. This keeps the reports program from locking the stock table while it is sorting so that other registers can ring up sales. I also need you to create a report on a LOCAL register to see if the network slows down reports even more.

I have also made some changes in ringing up sales using the vendor stock number. Let's see if anyone can figure out what they are.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Re: minor info correction on VENDOR config screen

Post by brucef2112 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:52 pm

Dale,
sorry no network to test on.

I tested the vendor # lookup with 26K lines and so far it seems to be working fine.
However when you go into the Vendor List, the on screen instruction still references the max of 13K.

Code: Select all

┌──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
 │     Do you wish to use the vendor's stock number to look up      │
 │  an item while you are ringing a sale? To save time enter below  │
 │  how many items you wish to search, 1 to 13,000. If you enter    │
 │  120 then only the first 120 lines of the stock table will be    │
 │  searched.                                                       │
 │                     0 = Search not allowed.                      │
 └──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
Vendor# lookup now has a coolness factor of 98!!! Very nice feature Dale!

I found a minor, don't know what to call it..... 'user navigation control error'... yeahh, thats it.
while doing the vendor# lookup the user can hit the [F1] to go to the table. The row number of the item is shown and the item's row will be highlighted. The user can scroll up and down the table with the navigation keys of up/down arrows page up/down etc.
This all works fine unless you use the vendor# to find an item on the last 6 rows of the stock table and then hit [F1]. it shows its row number but the view of the item's row is not on screen highlighted in magenta as expected.

how to do it:
First make sure you've gone to the Vendor Setup screen and set the vendor stock# search to 26,000.
Lets try an item not on the last 'page' of the stock table to see the normal operation.
Go to sale screen hit [*] to search by Vendor Stock number. Enter in "ttsc". the search will go to line 19, item #4383.
At this point user may want to view the table so go ahead and hit the [F1] key to view table. As you see the line item # is shown and the the item is highlighted. User can move up and down the table through various key navigations.

Now try this with the following item which is at the end of the table.
Go to sale screen hit [*] to search by Vendor Stock number. Enter in "efyw". the search will go to line 25997, item #5408.
Go ahead and hit the [F1] key to view table. As you see the line item # is shown but NOT the row corresponding to item5408.
then if you just arrowed down, the table doesn't scroll down. Not until you hit the up arrow key seven times does the magenta highlight bar show and come into view then you can navigate down again. Until then if you just arrowed down the table doesn't scroll down correctly.

I'm sure in the real world no one would find them self with a filled stock table down to the last 7 rows AND happen to do a vendor# lookup of an item in one of the last 7 rows AND then hit the [F1] instead of just selecting it as the right item to sell.
So this may not be worth spending much time on right now but I'm just passing it along.
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

cpb14
Forum Regular

Post by cpb14 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:51 pm

Dale with whatever you changed on inventory. POS won't even read file its goes to try and says illegal function

cpb14
Forum Regular

Post by cpb14 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:07 pm

quick note it changes inventory values even though program crashes

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:42 pm

CB,

What you reported has been fixed.

I am having a real good feeling about this version 7.04f26 at (New file, see below)I spent all day on the PURCHASE.EXE program and it now seems to be working fine. If you tested a previous 26000 version of PURCHASE.EXE you will have to go to the sub folder of your testing folder which will be named 26000 and delete all the .PUR and .VND files there.

Everything has been working here for the last several hours. The only things I have not yet tested are the THEATER.EXE program and using this over a network. I can't test the network since I do not have one.

EVERYONE. It is time to go nuts. Download the file and just test the heck out of it. I think that this might actaully be the release version unless I hear something from you.

(Dale crosses fingers and starts working on the documentation, a tough combination.)

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Re: Illegal Function Call when browsing with VOID screen

Post by brucef2112 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:48 am

Dale.
With version 26000e I was adding a bunch of sales transactions and then Voided the last sale I did.
The program crashed with an error message but it went by to fast to see. I restarted the program and I tried to browse back through the transactions in the Void screen but as soon as I hit [F5] to view the voided transaction it crashed with the error bellow.
I restarted the program again and tried adding some more sales and then did another void which worked fine.
I tried to browse back through the transactions in the Void screen, however it crashes again when I get to the original Void transaction that crash the system the first time with the following error at the bottom of the screen.
Illegal function call in line 0 of module POS5 at address 3369:3842 Hit any key to return to system

Illegal function call in line 0 of module POS5     at address 3369:3842    
  [↑] [↓]  [PG UP]  [PG DN]  [HOME]  [END]                       [ESC] = Cancel
Hit any key to return to system
For now I'm leaving this Register as is and I'll create another one for further testing. I don't want to take a chance that this register is now corrupt and will snowball into other errors that may or may not be legit.
If you want to see any of the POS files so maybe you can see what/where, let me know which files I need to send you.

EDITED - UPDATE EDITED - UPDATE EDITED - UPDATE...............4-23-11 3:30a eastern

OK, The above is a BUG in the program. I can repeat the exact steps and it crashes every time.
Tested this with a fresh install of version 26000f and the results are the same as the 26000e that i'd been heavy testing on all last week. The error message is the same as shown above. It is related to a sale that has a Reduction.

HOW TO DO IT:
Do a fresh install of 26Kf.
Start POS. Enter 100 as the Opening Cash.
Go to the Purchase screen.
Type in stock number 1708 > [Enter].
Now lets do a reduction of line one by amount of 1 dollar.
[F9] > 1 > [Enter] > 1 > [Enter] > 1 > [Enter]
Now lets finish the sale as a cash transaction with exact change.
[+] > 1 > [Enter] > [Enter]

Now return to the Main Menu and go to 5. Void
You should now be looking at a pretty blue screen with an error message....

You can restart the POS and run more transactions but if you go to the Void Screen and try to [F5] back to the Reduction sale you can't get there from here...

The results are the same with any combination of reduction: (by amount, by percent, One Line, All Above) or the Coupon.
Stock number, Number of pieces, or adding other items doesn't matter.
I went and turned on Discount feature to test it. Discounts are not affected like the Reductions.
I think its just the way the Reduction line items of the sale are being handled when saved. Something is different about them and is not passed as expected as compared to a Sales transaction without a reduction. Maybe the internal negative stock number assigned to them isn't handle correctly? Just my guess by looking from the outside the black box.

This may be a long standing problem not specific to 26K. In the past i've reviewed my data using the Void screen and on occasion have had garbled data show on screen. most notable is with cash pulls, no sales. and I think I've had these that crash the system that can't be seen.

If you still want to see my test files let me know,
good luck, Dale!
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

small
Forum Regular

Post by small » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:47 am

Dale,
I did sale and used F9 for a reduction. I choose F9 option #2 and on both by amout #1 and By percentage #2 caused blue error screen as above.

you said to check everything so i was playing around and if your at the main pos menu screen and press F5 it asks for employee pin number. I don't think F5 at the main screen is anything is it?

I also at the main screen hit F2 and it brings up the calculator, while the calculator is up if you hit F1 it puts a number just above the date and time, when you press letters and numbers the random number above date and time changes.
Last edited by small on Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:25 am

small,
From the main menu, by accident you hit the [F5] instead of the number 5. The [F5] is what gave you the employee pin thinggy from the main menu.

You are correct the program doesn't die after completing the sale. In fact its as if nothing is wrong. You can go on selling. Its not until you try and go to the void screen and view *that* Reduction sales that it crashes.

So if you make the Reduction sale on trans:20 and immediately after the sale you go to the 5. Void. It will crash because the Reduction sale is the last transaction thereby being the first one to be shown on the Void Screen.

if you make the Reduction sale on trans:20 and then follow by more transactions trans:21 payout,trans:22 nosale, trans:23 whatever,(without reductions). Then when you go to the 5. Void it will not crash until you [F5] to the previous transaction (trans:20) that had the reduction in it. Then It will crash!
Last edited by brucef2112 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Later,
Bruce

small
Forum Regular

Post by small » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 am

yeah, I figured that out

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:06 am

Dale, I'm not calling this one a bug because I might be missing something about gift cards. (I don't sell 'em so never paid attention to 'em)
Can you explain the philosophy of how the Gift Cards are accounted for?
Here is what I found.
With a fresh install of 26Kf the closeout shows CASH:134307 in 3 transaction.

If i sell a Gift Card with $999900, and then with three additional transactions I add $999900 each time to the card, I have a card balance of $3999600. All 4 transactions are paid with Cash.
I see on the closeout that the Total Gift Cards: shows the correct dollar amount and the 4 Gift Card Transactions.
And that the $3999600 is added to the CASH SALE: but why doesn't it increase the CASH transaction count from 3 to 7?
Why doesn't this $3999600 reflect in the NET or GROSS SALES:?

│         CASH SALE:     4133907     3 │     TOTAL PAYOUTS:           0     0 │
│        CHECK SALE:           0     0 │   TOTAL DISCOUNTS:           0     0 │
│       CREDIT SALE:           0     0 │  TOTAL REDUCTIONS:           0     0 │
│        DEBIT SALE:           0     0 │     TOTAL COUPONS:           0     0 │
│    GIFT CARD SALE:           0     0 │       TOTAL VOIDS:           0     0 │
│              SALE:           0     0 │  TOTAL GIFT CARDS:     3999600     4 │
│       CASH RETURN:           0     0 ├──────────────────────────────────────┤
│      CHECK RETURN:           0     0 │           SALES TRANSACTION:       3 │
│     CREDIT RETURN:           0     0 │          RETURN TRANSACTION:       0 │
│      DEBIT RETURN:           0     0 │          PAYOUT TRANSACTION:       0 │
│  GIFT CARD RETURN:           0     0 │         NO SALE TRANSACTION:       0 │
│            RETURN:           0     0 │       GIFT CARD TRANSACTION:       4 │
│         NET SALES:      134307       │           TRANSACTION TOTAL:       7 │
│         TOTAL TAX:           0       ├──────────────────────────────────────┤
│       GROSS SALES:      134307       │                                      │
│              TIPS:           0       │                                      │
│         CASH BACK:           0       │                                      │
│      SUB REG CASH:     4133907       │                                      │
│  CASH DROPS/PULLS:           0     0 │ 1. Do nothing - Return to register.  │
│       + CASH FUND:         100       │ 2. Close register/Print/Erase/Exit.  │
│       CASH IN REG:     4134007       │ 3. Exit program. No print. No erase. │
│     CHECKS IN REG:           0       │ 4. Display tax details.              │
│     CREDIT IN REG:           0       │                                      │
│      DEBIT IN REG:           0       │                                      │
│            IN REG:           0       │                                      │
:?: :?:

EDIT.........

I see that its not included as part of the hourly sales report either, so I think I may be missing something.. help.
Later,
Bruce

cpb14
Forum Regular

Post by cpb14 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:39 pm

Dale I will test on a network and report back when done

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:23 pm

The latest file, 7.04g26 is here http://keyhut.com/26000g.exe

I found Bruce's "void" problem. The stock number search function did not take into account a negative stock number like the ones used by reductions and coupons. It was an easy fix once it was pointed out. Since it was not a data error on this new version you can load the sales that caused the problem in "5. Voids"

Gift cards sales are not sales, they are the customer lending you money. Therefore they do not go into the "sales" count, although the money needs to be accounted for. Think of it this way, if a gift card sale is a sale, when they use it to pay for something, is that another sale? 2 sales with the same money? This also means that selling a gift card is not added into the 'Z' reading. You have not "sold" anything, you have assumed a debt, you owe the customer money.

[F5] from the main menu is how you access the time clock.

In addition to testing over a network it is now time to test this with old register files. Make a copy of your current POS folder, drop 26000G.EXE into it and unzip. Now use 7.04g26 to see if you can use it to run your old register files.

Many bug fixes in 7.04g26 mostly connected to the THEATER.EXE program. It did not play nice with customer info and did not put the sales of tickets into the stock table. It is much better now.

Dale

cpb14
Forum Regular

Post by cpb14 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:43 am

Network Test is so far good i will now pop in to current folder and report back

cpb14
Forum Regular

Post by cpb14 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:03 pm

well thank goodness for Backups LOL i put 26000 in my Current Register and........
HERE IS BAD NEWS i tried to run 26000 and it kinda blew up

i get the message

Path/File access error in line 3 of module POS2 at address 2238:321D

i got this when i tried to have my global register run 26000 and a regular register run it. just to throw it out my register that is not 26000 will still run with the global being 26000 and not opening

CB

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:01 pm

CB,

How strange. I do not have a network here so the way I test for it is to create a new folder C:\NETWORK on my C: drive and then copy all the files to there. I then go into the "Network" feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program on the C:\26000 folder and enter a PATH of C:\NETWORK.
Then just to make sure that the program is not cheating I delete the .IDX and .TBL files from the C:26000 folder. Then I went to the C:\NETWORK folder and setup DHPOS there to be the GLOBAL folder with the same PATH of C:\NETWORK.

I then ran the program from the C:\26000 folder and the main menu ID's it as "Register A" so I know the network setup is working. I then tried to ring up several sales and make a report "F". The results were that it worked fine.

But the network folder was really on the same drive as the local folder. Could that be why I was not having problems? So I plugged in a thumb drive and moved the network folder to J:\NETWORK. I then deleted the entire C:\NETWORK folder from the C: drive. Then (and this is the important part) I went to each register (local and global) and changed the network path to J:\NETWORK. Once again everything worked fine. So as a final test I pulled out the thumb drive and guess what happened. I got an error message similar to the one you got.

I notice in your post that you did not mention changing the network PATH, could this be what is causing the problems you are having?

Dale