Adding to stock table whilst in a sale

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Carl Fox
Occasional Poster
Adding to stock table whilst in a sale

Post by Carl Fox » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:12 pm

Dale

Would it be possible that you could have the option to enter a new stock item as you were ringing it in if it was not found in the stock table?

This would save having to park the transaction (if you have this enabled), going into the stock table etc etc.

Alternatively when pressing F1 there could be the option to add a new item.

Carl :roll:

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Re: Adding to stock table whilst in a sale

Post by ChrisKraus » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:34 pm

Carl Fox wrote:Dale

Would it be possible that you could have the option to enter a new stock item as you were ringing it in if it was not found in the stock table?

This would save having to park the transaction (if you have this enabled), going into the stock table etc etc.

Alternatively when pressing F1 there could be the option to add a new item.

Carl :roll:
Adding items to the Stock table is usually something Management or the Inventory department does.

- Chris :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm

If an item is not found at work - we have a stock item for each department in the store with a price of $0.00.

You decide which department it goes under and enter the price of it. I would hate to be a customer in a store where they added new items while ringing up my sale.

One of the staple rules of customer service - don't let customers know about your/stores problems (e.g. items not found on register).

Have slips available at checkout to write down the barcode, item name, price etc - and add them later (or forward to the appropriate persons for processing).
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Bobby
Forum Regular

I agree with Andrew.

Post by Bobby » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:09 am

I fully agree with Andrew. Not only do you not want custs to know about problems in the store, you also do not want to needlessly waste the custs time. The cust does not want to wait around for the cashier to add in a new product.

-Bobby

I just reread his post, it would be a total waste of time to park the sale then add it to the stock table, then retreive the sale!!! Much easier to add a DEPT BLAHBLAH MISC sku with a price of 0.00. The pos program will prompt you to add a price and then you can just keep ring the sale and come back to entering it later!

barryh

stock

Post by barryh » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:51 am

wasn't this feature already suggested for something like "miscellaneous" for each category?

TSimpson

GREAT IDEA

Post by TSimpson » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:36 am

:D I LOVE this idea!!!!!
I use POS to help me with my avon sales and it has really become a benifit of late. However there has been the occasion that i forget to enter a mascara or a perfume into the stocktable and i would help so much if i could do that from the sales window. As it stands now there is a great deal of work for me everyother week when it comes to be order time. Avon has a vast amount of products ( more than POS allows) thus i am having to enter the new items on a as needed basis. But when having to enter anywhere from 15 to 40 new stock numbers every other week the possabilaity exists to forget 1 or 2. So this would really be a great feature.

Tarah Simpson ;)

Dylan
Forum Regular

I dunno...

Post by Dylan » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:40 pm

I dunno if this is a good idea...
I wouldn't want the cust to have to wait to enter a stock # (u gotta find an unused one), then a tax #, then a description, then a vendor....
Its tiring and a waste of time. Besides, the Backoffice would have nothing to do but verify all of this as it came on the stock table. Lets say a cashier enters the price one digit wrong (and,god forbid, dosen't notice!), then what?! well, Dale, do whatever, i just dont think its that great of an idea

well,
Later,
JDR
aka
dil
aka
JD

rsk

Post by rsk » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:55 pm

Where I work we have a POS that prints out a small slip after the transaction when an unknown item is entered, after a supervisor has keyed in the item under a "Misc" category...

A system like this would be useful?

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:26 am

Where I work, a supervisor goes and finds a price, grabs another of the item off the shelf and comes back to you - informing you of the price, which you then ring up under the appropriate department (the item name is simply printed as the department name on the receipt).

The supervisor leaves you one of the items for the customer of course and takes the other up to the service desk where they fill out a slip with barcode, item name, current shelf price etc. This slip is now forwarded upstairs to the Buyers Office for data entry, and the extra item they picked up is placed in the returns trolley for returning to the shelf later in the day.

Usually the office enters these as soon as received and we know when the tills receive a stock table update because at the bottom of the screen is the software version number, and every so often it flashes *MAINT* (short for Maintenance) for a split second and returns to the version number.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)