BUG: in Total by Category Report 'Save as Data'=Bad Data

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

brucef2112
Forum Regular
BUG: in Total by Category Report 'Save as Data'=Bad Data

Post by brucef2112 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:16 am

Dale, I found two bugs in the reports part of the POS.
Bug ONE:
Found this one today while writing an import routine in Excel. I was using 704n5 but it may be a long standing bug.
In report F. Total by Category, the data is not the same when viewed/printed as compared to when saved as data file.
The results are the same in both the 1. Include every item. 2. Category totals only. choices.

I'll use the 2. Category totals only. as an example.
The currency and item counts are correct on screen,Save as text and Save as data. However the percent values are not the same for the Save as data.

When viewing this report on screen or printing, the percent values are two decimal places.
When using the 3. Save as data file. the file is saved with percent values that are one decimal places. In turn data is being lost.

Example:On screen, printing and save as text will display like this. And all is good.

Code: Select all

04-15-2011
                                              PIECES           SALES
                                  CAT0 99.72%     52          359.50
       ---------------------------------------------------------
                                  CAT1   .00%      1             .00
                                  CAT2   .28%      1            1.00
                                 TOTAL100.00%     54          360.50
On a Save As Data it displays like this.
Currency and item counts are correct.
Note that the percent values are truncated.

Code: Select all

"TOTAL","04-15-2011 - - 01:55:56"
"CATEGORY","%","PIECES","$ AMOUNT"
"CAT0",99.7,52,359.5
"CAT1",0,1,0
"CAT2",.2,1,1
"TOTAL",100,54,360.5
You can see in CAT0 the 99.72% is truncated to 99.7
and CAT2 the .28% is truncated to .2

I don't have my POS setup for employees so I couldn't see if any of the employee reports are affected by this. But I checked all others and none of the other use 'percent per item' as the category report does so the Category report may be the only one affected by the truncated data. I spot checked some of the other reports to verify that the currency and item counts shown on screen were the same as the Save As Data info and all seems OK.

Bug TWO:
While I was in there test this, I came across a second bug/feature. The result is the same for ALL reports that are Saved as data.
When you have the report on screen and you [TAB] to save/print.
1. Print on printer.
2. Save as text file.
3. Save as data file.
If you select 2. Save as text file. and enter a file name that already exists, the POS warns you it already exists and prompts you to overwrite the file or not. Nice!
If you select 3. Save as data file. and enter a file name that already exists, the program just steps on the existing file without warning!
Bad!....Very Bad!

As always, thanks for your efforts!
Bruce
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: BUG: in Total by Category Report 'Save as Data'=Bad Data

Post by daleadmin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:30 pm

Bruce,

I have fixed all this and you can do a full download of version 7.04p2 at the usual place http://keyhut.com/pos3.htm

Dale