705 Bug: Restoring 26K Stock Table is an Illegal Function!

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

brucef2112
Forum Regular
705 Bug: Restoring 26K Stock Table is an Illegal Function!

Post by brucef2112 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:13 pm

Hey Dale, Restoring the stock table crashes the program and makes the user look for the Any key.
VERSIONS TESTED:
704 26000 all step versions.
705 (pre-description save) fresh install or an upgrade from 704 2600 versions.
Repeatable and consistent.

The Table Backup is fine.
But if you try to restore the stock table you get an Illegal function call.

Code: Select all

│                                     1                                        │
Illegal function call in line 0 of module STOCK2   at address 24DD:6993        │
└──────────┬─────────┬──────────┬──────────────────────┬───────────┬───────────┘
Hit any key to return to systeme│[F5]=Move/Export lines│[F6]=Groups│[F8]=Prices
I changed some items in the table. And then did a restore which then throws the error. But it seem to restore the table as far as I can tell. Either you renamed a called function or you have some kind of data checks/balance function that runs after a data restore located in module STOCK2 that it is choking when its told there is 26000 lines coming its way.
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: 705 Bug: Restoring 26K Stock Table is an Illegal Functio

Post by daleadmin » Mon May 02, 2011 9:43 pm

Bruce,

Where are you doing this? In the Stock table when you press [F5]?

Are you trying to restore a backup made using version 7.04 into version 7.05?

I added someting to the stock table. I pressed [F5] and then saved the stock table. I then proceeded to the next menu. I pressed [ESC] to return to the main stock table menu. I pressed [F5] and restored the stock table. No problem.

Details please.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:24 pm

Dale,
It seems there is another problem related to this.
If I try and import the 26k stock table and it fails with this message.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗ ▄
  ║    Import errors are usually caused by bad data or bad formatting in  ║ █
  ║ the text file. If an error occurs check your data file line displayed ║ █
  ║ below and the 2 lines that follow in your data file.                  ║ █
  ╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝ █
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ╔════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗ ▄
   ║                   LINE #:   15945                                  ║ █
   ║             STOCK NUMBER:           16388                          ║ █
   ║              DESCRIPTION:  THIS IS ITEM #16388                     ║ █
   ║            REGULAR PRICE:           0                              ║ █
   ║               SALE PRICE:           0                              ║ █
   ║                      TAX:  1                                       ║ █
   ║                   # SOLD:      0.00                                ║ █
   ║               VALUE SOLD:           0                              ║ █
   ║                 INVNTORY:   9000                                   ║ █
   ║                  CATGORY:   10                                     ║ █
   ║                   VENDOR:   2                                      ║ █
   ║                     COST:        1966                              ║ █
   ║                    MODEL:   6                                      ║ █
   ║                     PACK:   10                                     ║ █
   ║           VENDOR STOCK #:  4wfFG6GUhW                              ║ █
   ╚════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝ █
        LOADING ERROR - - INSPECT YOUR DATA FILE!    OPERATION ENDED.
HOW I DID IT:
Started with 704j and upgraded to 705. I exported the data out of 705 with 7. Export to printer/database/spread sheet.. I saved to a file called STOCKDMP.TXT.

I then created a fresh install of 705 and used the 5. Copy to clipboard. > 4. Erase current clipboard and copy from text file to make a new clipboard.. And used STOCKDMP.TXT to import from. It gets to line 15,945 and fails with the above error message.

I took a look in the STOCKDMP.TXT file but I do not see anything wrong with the data on that line or any others. But I may be missing it, so I don't know if this is with the export out of the program or the import into the program.
Hope you see something I don't.
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Mon May 02, 2011 10:47 pm

Bruce,

With small's help in the chat room I was able to find your first error. I have fixed it and you can download http://dhpos.com/stocks.exe to fix it on your computer.

Your second error may be, as stated, a data error. It could be a quote mark in a description or a vendor stock number, or in the same columns a comma in a string that is not enclosed in quotes, or something else. I would suggest that you look at the next line in the data after stock number 16388 and find out why it is weird. Or just delete the next line and then see if it will load.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:52 pm

Response to Dale's Mon May 02, 2011 9:43 pm post about Illegal Function call.
Yes this is with the [F5] keys.

Here's how I do it:
Start with a fresh install of 705.
Configure POS to use 26K line stock table.
Start POS. From Main Menu > 3. File Maintenance > 2. Stock table
Add an item or two in the stock table if you wish. (results are the same even if Stock Table is empty).
Press [F5]=Move/Export lines > 2. Backup stock table. > Hit the B key to backup.
Press [Esc] several times to return to Main Menu.
Now, return to the Stock Table.
Press [F5]=Move/Export lines > 3. Restore stock table from backup. > Hit the R key to Restore.

The 'counter' starts to run and shortly after it throws the 'Illegal Function call in line 0 of module STOCK2 at address 113E:6993" error message.

This is consistent every time. As noted above, even if you backup an empty table and try to restore it, the results are the same.
Later,
Bruce

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Mon May 02, 2011 11:23 pm

Bruce,

That I fixed, download http://dhpos.com/stocks.exe

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:11 am

OK I DL the new STOCK.EXE and the "Illegal function" thing is fixed.

The second one with importing data with clipboard from a file is still a problem.
I am working with the 26K stock table. I exported this from an upgraded 2600 version to 705.
It looks like the export of data from an upgraded 705 is fine. There is no problems with the format eveything in the file is good.

The problem is with the import into a fresh copy of 705.
I don't know why it picks the record with stock number 16388 to fail with the above error but it is corrupting much of the data before it.
I do know the problem is with the Reg Price and Sale Price.
Any items before line 15945 (stock #16388) in the import file, if they have a 5 digit Reg. Price the import shows it as Zero. ALSO if the Sale Price is 4 digits it imports it as Zero.
Why does it not just keep going past stock #16388? I don't know. but I notice the above when it showed on the first warning screen that the Reg Price and Sale price were showing as Zeros but on the next screen of the error message it showed the data of the line in question and it shows the 5 and 4 digit prices. If before trying to import I manually change stock#16388 Reg Price and Sale Price to 4 and 3 digit numbers respectively, the import finishes, tells you to check your data and it seems OK as far as the program is concerned. but if you look at the data it imported, any 5 digit Reg price was set to zero. 4 digit Sale prices are also set to zero. And the prices that did import are showing with 2 decimal places. I have the rounding set to "1" just as it is in the version I exported the data from. However it seems the import is showing 2 decimal places on the data it can import and in turn dumping the large values that don't fit.

How I did it:
Take a 704j26000 and upgrade it to 705.
Go to [F5] to export all non-zero lines.

Create a fresh install of 705. Configure for use 26000 item stock table. Set rounding to "1".
Go to [F5] to import the data from file.

Import will start to run. and give the error message about bad data. Take note that on that screen it will show item#16388 as having a zero for both Reg Price and Sale price. And on the second screen about the error it shows this record has prices of 16388 and 4097 respectively.
Again, I don't know why it stops here but if you change the prices the import will run to the end but your items will have incorrect Reg and Sale prices.
I know its not that it is running through a bunch of data and chokes on this record because I've manually taken the stock#16388 and cut it from line 15945 and inserted it at line 2 and the import throws the error as soon as it gets to this record?????

don't know????
Later,
Bruce

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue May 03, 2011 11:54 am

Bruce,

Email to me the file that will not load. daleharris@prodigy.net

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue May 03, 2011 11:56 am

Bruce,

When you say a "fresh copy" of 7.05 is that from a download you did AFTER I fixed the STOCKS.EXE program?

Email to me the file that will not load. daleharris@prodigy.net

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:41 pm

yes, this is with the new STOCK.EXE. I placed the new STOCK.EXE in the upgraded version which I then did another export of data.
Then upgraded my fresh install with the new STOCK.EXE and did an import. The results were the same, as outlined above.

All the zero pricing aside, this is the record that is offended by the POS import.

16388,"THIS IS ITEM #16388",  16388,   4097,1,    0.00,         0,    9.00, 10,  2,  19.66,    6,  10,"`4wfFG6GUhW"
I systematically changed one field at a time and ran the import. Started with the string data but it made no difference. Only when I changed both the regular price from a 5 digit to a 4 digit number and the sale price from a 4 digit to a 3 digit number, did the import finish without error message. However the prices throughout the import were mangled. As all 5 digit regular prices were set to zero and all 4 digit Sale prices were also set to zero.

I'm sending you the file. keep on eye on your email from brucef2112 i'll put 'DHPOS 705 import file' as the subject.

edited==============
here is the file. http://www.pahandmahjongg.com/pos/stockdmp.zip
Later,
Bruce

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue May 03, 2011 9:02 pm

I have fixed all of the recent problems (including Bruce's latest) and released version 7.05a. It is a full download and is in the usual place. http://keyhut.com/pos.htm

This would be a lot easier if I deleted several hundred features from DHPOS. 8)

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:46 pm

Thanks for the update Dale. I'll DL 705a and test for a couple 3 days and let you know what I find next.

later,
bruce
[bruce thinking; Its the bugs that create new features?!?!?]
Later,
Bruce

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue May 03, 2011 10:38 pm

Bruce,

It's bugs that deprive you of sleep. Or at least me.

Dale