200 lines in a sale.

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
Re: 200 lines in a sale.

Post by daleadmin » Sun May 22, 2011 3:22 pm

CB,

This is another technical issue. The "Notes" feature does not write to the file where the notes are saved before you save a note. If you load a note that had not been saved then it is quite possible that the file is filled with nulls, or ASCII(0) characters. These look suspiciously like spaces but they are not. The file could also be filled with gobbledegook but at least you can see that.

When the note is formatted into lines the note is first stripped of any leading or trailing spaces but not ASCII(0). Therefore when the lines are formatted it formats all 210 characters so you get a bunch of what seem to be empty lines.

To test if this is happening to you, load a note into the text box and press [END]. If the cursor goes just to the end of the text then you do not have this problem.

If the cursor goes all the way to the end of the last line of the text box then you've got zeros my friend. Use the [Backspace] key to backup to the end of the text to get rid of them.

I guess I should add something to the program to automatically get rid of the zeros. With gobbledegook you are on your own, good luck.

Dale

small
Forum Regular

Post by small » Sun May 22, 2011 10:23 pm

Dale,

One problem I found with the Notes feature is that if you have an item in a sale and you then enter a note on that Item it appears in the kitchen program, but if you have a note in the recipt first then put items in the sale the note does not show up on the kitchen program.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun May 22, 2011 10:30 pm

Small,

Notes have a category of zero. You should not use the category of zero for anything. So when you setup the kitchen program you should not set it up so that it will send anything in category zero to either of the kitchens.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Re: 200 lines in a sale.Another BUG in POSconfg.exe

Post by brucef2112 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:11 am

Dale, I found another glitch in POSCONFG.EXE.
This is related to the KEY BEEP. Most people would think "Key Beep" seems silly to worry about. But this could be just the tip of something else going wrong. If it isn't getting the initial BEEP setting correct, there may be other stuff way more important than a key beep that is getting mis-read too.

It seems on initial startup with a new register, the posconfig isn't reading directly from the new .POS file when displaying the main menu for the first time because the key Beep is turned 'OFF'. As we all know, the beep default is 'ON', and most likely will never change (for the earth may wobble if it does). 'So what?!' says 99% of the people reading this. Well, the problem is the initial register .POS file has the flag for the BEEP set to 'ON'. So during the initial creation of the .POS file the POSCONFG program isn't reading this value from the .POS file it just created!

It is consistent and repeatable. And is a new bug introduced circa 200n.
This is with 220s with a fresh install.

Heres how we do it:
Follow along. This demonstration has two parts. Do not just use the first register created to test the second part. The results are based on these specific steps.

TEST ONE: "See no Beep, Hear no beep, Speak no beep". (sorry... :roll: )
1. Create a new register and name it 'A'. Hit the Any key 5 times to get to the main configuration window.
WARNING, be sure you stop at the main menu and not accidentally go into the Category List Configuration or any others. If you do, delete the POS and start again.

2. Now use the arrow keys to navigate around the menu choices. Be sure not to enter into any of them. just navigate with the arrow keys.
Notice there is no beeping.

3. Now use the arrow keys to navigate to the Key Press Beep item and hit [ENTER]. You will see that the beep is turned OFF.
THIS CONCLUDES TEST ONE. EXIT OUT OF POSCONFG AND DELETE THE REGISTER'S POS FILE.

TEST TWO:
1. Create a new register and name it 'B'. Hit the Any key 5 times to get to the main configuration window.

At this point we are the same as above. There is no beep when arrow keying around, and the Key Press Beep is set to 'OFF'. DO NOT GO TO THE MENU CHOICE AND LOOK! TRUST ME, IT IS SET TO OFF (You don't hear any beeping do you!). If you look you wasted time and you must go back to step one.

2. Now use the arrow keys to navigate to the Category List and hit [ENTER]. Once at the Category List just hit [ENTER] one time. You should here the 'beep'. Now hit [Esc] to return to the main menu. Now magically there is beeping!! You can now go look at the Beep configuration and you will see that the beep is now set to 'ON'.
THIS CONCLUDES TEST TWO.
IF YOU WANT TO REPEAT THIS YOU MUST EXIT OUT OF POSCONFG AND DELETE THE REGISTER'S POS FILE AND START AGAIN AT STEP ONE.

WHAT IS HAPPENING:
It seem the initial start of POSCONFG creates a register .POS but either it initially mis-reading the .POS file or more likely it isn't reading from the .POS file after it creates it and the screen is loading initially with a 'FALSE' boolean value from code instead.

In both test 1 and 2, the POS file is set with the beep flag 'ON'. However on initial display of the main menu it isn't reading the beep flag from the .POS file. In test 1, once you entered into the Beep configuration screen and exit, the program then actually sets the flag to 'OFF" in the .POS file and re-loads with the saved setting. In test 2, by entering into almost any of the configuration screens and exiting, the program refreshing the setting based on what is in the .POS file which is the default of "ON" for the beep flag. This is why you cannot 'peek' at the beep setting in test 2. By just looking, the program will write the setting to the .POS file and spoil test 2 results.

I'm sure i did more work explaining it than it will take you to fix it.
I'd bet this is a 'one line fix'.
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue May 24, 2011 5:16 am

Bruce,

When the POSCONFG.EXE program creates a new .POS file it does not then read it. What would be the point, it is mostly empty. So it was leaving SNDS = 0 which is "no beep." When you go to the "Beep" feature it does not check to see if the beep is set to 1 because it is already supposed to know, so it thinks that the beep is set to OFF. So the fix was when a register is being created to set SNDS = 1. So the data in the file was correct, it was just not loaded. It is fixed now but I have not uploaded it.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue May 24, 2011 10:20 pm

I am going to spend all day at work tomorrow trying to break the new version. I will then come here to see if you folks could break it. If all is well I will release it tomorrow night.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:41 pm

Dale, I've worked the 200s pretty good and I can't break it any more.
I'm done. Push it out the door and watch it float.
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Wed May 25, 2011 5:53 pm

Well it looks like today is the day then. It will take me about an hour to get ready. I will check here back then. This is your last chance.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Wed May 25, 2011 6:44 pm

Version 7.1 has been uploaded. http://keyhut.com/pos3.htm

Panic is starting to set in.