Something weird is going on with my app

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Imhotep
Occasional Poster
Something weird is going on with my app

Post by Imhotep » Fri May 06, 2011 4:08 am

Hi there!

A little while ago (aprx. 1 one month) something went gaga with my programme. All-of-the-sudden application started to break like:

- when I scan the item, sometimes it scans OK, but sometimes it takes somethimg like 10 seconds to enter the code but does not register the cariage return, so I must do it manualy (hit ENTER)
- when this happens, the printout is also funny (not the layout but the job itself). It acts like somethimg is interupting it (it is pausing in between like three to four times).
- The app keeps telling me that there's somethimg wrong with the POLE display or the CASH drawer (neither do I have)

I went thru all the setting for the POLE and the DRAWER but to no avail.

Anybody have any idea what's going on?

Regards and best wishes!
Regards and best wishes!

Ales, Slovenia

Imhotep
Occasional Poster

Re: Something wierd is going on with my app

Post by Imhotep » Mon May 09, 2011 3:51 am

Does anybody have any idea what's going on here?
Regards and best wishes!

Ales, Slovenia

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Mon May 09, 2011 7:13 am

Even though you do not have a pole display or cash drawer the progam may think you do if some settings have been changed. Go to the "Open drawer" feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program and make sure it is set to "Printer" and not "COM?:" Go to the "Pole display" Feature and make sure it is set to POLE.EXE and not "Direct access"

Dale

Imhotep
Occasional Poster

Post by Imhotep » Mon May 09, 2011 8:11 am

Thanks for your reply, but it still does not work. In my Pole display settings there anre some settings that I cannot delete (or turn to NIL). These are my POLE settings:

Use Port=NONE
Speed=128000 (This I cannot set to 0 or NIL)
Parity=Even
Mode=ASC

mode is set to use POLE.exe

The Drawer is set to Printer.

Any ideas?
Regards and best wishes!

Ales, Slovenia

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Mon May 09, 2011 11:58 pm

Imhotep,

Read this about file names http://keyhut.com/faq.htm#filename

If you can send me an email attachment of your ??????.POS file I can check your settings here.

Dale

Imhotep
Occasional Poster

Post by Imhotep » Tue May 10, 2011 5:56 am

I've send you an email (ali.zigon) with the attachement.
Regards and best wishes!

Ales, Slovenia

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: Something weird is going on with my app

Post by daleadmin » Tue May 10, 2011 8:42 am

Imhotep,

I looked at your ??????.POS file and everything seems right. It could be a speed issue, try this http://keyhut.com/faq.htm#slow

Just before this problem began did anything change on your computer? Did you download a new version of DHPOS? Any other application like an antivirus program? Change printer, scanner or other hardware? Any other programs acting weird? If you copy your entire DHPOS folder to a thumb drive and try it out on a different computer do you have the same problems?

Dale

Imhotep
Occasional Poster

Post by Imhotep » Thu May 12, 2011 2:55 am

I did that and it is somewhat better (not quite but stil...). I keep getting that nag screen about something being wrong with either the POLE display or PRINTER settings. Any ideas?
Regards and best wishes!

Ales, Slovenia

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Thu May 12, 2011 7:27 am

The message always pops up so that if the screen does freeze it will tell you the usual reasons for it.

Dale

Imhotep
Occasional Poster

Post by Imhotep » Thu May 12, 2011 9:20 am

Actually that was the first thing I've shecked (and as you could see in my x.POS file, everything seems to be OK). I've tried each and every setting I could, but to no avail.
The funny thing also is, that the printer started to act weird - sometimes it's working just fine, but sometimes it just "freezes" in the middle of the print job. It stops for 2 or 3 seconds and then goes on. It seems to me just like the interpreter is locking up, or something... I don't know.
Also, today when I was playing around with the settings and stuff, I've restored the window to its normal size (hit ALT+ENTER), Windows froze for some 10 seconds. I could not do anything at all until I turned off the POS application. Only then (had to wait some 20 sec), windows came to life again (I'm on XP btw).
How strange is that?
Regards and best wishes!

Ales, Slovenia