DHPOS inside DROPBOX

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

lsunw
Forum Regular
DHPOS inside DROPBOX

Post by lsunw » Tue May 17, 2011 3:55 am

Hi,

Just a taught, since the cloud backup is so convenience and free nowaday, I had put my POS program inside Dropbox. So, basically I'm owrry free of the PC crash or any bad thing happen. More over i can still do some modification at home and sync to the office on the next day morning pretty fast.

Since I found dropbox come with LAN Sync, which is pretty much work like a share folder, just need some advice is that possible to run DHPOS Networking inside dropbox instead of nomal networking share folder? or this is an bad idea...because if any how the internet is down then we might have 2 copy of conflict history file for the POS use as GLOBAL?

toydept
Occasional Poster

Re: DHPOS inside DROPBOX

Post by toydept » Tue May 17, 2011 5:41 am

I think i did have dhpos running like this for a while, but if i remember rightly dropbox doesn't update it's files immediately - say if you changed a file by adding stock in POSCONFG it wouldn't copy to the dropbox server immediately therefore using it as the share on another till wasn't very efficient. However, if you right click it and share it with the local lan (instead of using dropbox's lan function) you can use this for networking tills and you have a very useful backup service too! :) After the store is closed you could access dhpos from home using dropbox, as long as registers aren't being used (i.e changing files) in the store. Thats my experience anyway :)