POS version 7.1 released 5-25-11.

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
POS version 7.1 released 5-25-11.

Post by daleadmin » Wed May 25, 2011 10:24 pm

NEW FEATURES

200 LINES IN A SALE
In the last new version of this program the maximum number of lines in a stock table was increased from 13,000 to 26,000. This version increases the maximum number of lines in a sale from 60 to 200. This will require some effort on your part.

If you are upgrading a current register MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR CURRENT FOLDER!!! This is a one way conversion, you cannot go back if things go seriously wrong. Of course you can go back by restoring the folder from the backup but this only works if you made a backup. Have I scared you? Good!

If you are running this on a network you must upgrade each LOCAL register and the GLOBAL register. Upgrade and run this program on the GLOBAL register first.

After downloading and unzipping the download file, run the POS program, if you are using Sale Recording to be able to use the “5. Void” feature to recall past transactions or you are using Sale Parking, you will end up in a screen that will ask you if you want to convert the program to either 60 or 200 lines max. You must pick one even if you want to stay at 60 lines. This is because the conversion process will also enable other new features. Remember that you must do this on all registers on your network.
That’s about it. Have fun with your new toy.

If at any time you want to switch the program from 60 to 200 lines or from 200 to 60 lines run the RECONVRT.EXE program. All new registers will be created with a 60 line maximum, you must use RECONVRT.EXE to convert to 200 lines.

The advantages of 200 lines are obvious, why would you want 60 lines. The answer is disk space. With 10,000 past transactions saved the old .REC file required 20 megabytes. With 60 lines the new .REC file requires 42 megabytes (for the new features.) 200 lines requires 120 megabytes of storage which is fine if you have a newer computer with gigabytes of unused space, not so swell if you have an older computer with a 100 meg. hard drive.

Note: If you switch from 200 to 60 obviously you are going to lose something. That something will be the data in lines 61 to 200 of each sale, not a problem if no sale used more than 60 lines. While the line data will be gone the sale totals will be correct.

WARNING! If you want to change both the maximum number of lines in a sale and the number of transactions to be recorded, change the number of lines first.

So if you have a grocery store you can now ring up to 200 lines in one sale from a stock of 26,000 different items. I got your emails, go bother someone else for a while. : )

STICKY DESCRIPTIONS
In the past, if you allowed the clerk to change the description of an item the new description would only be printed on the receipt and the journal. If you used the “5. Void” feature to recall the sale (and reprint it) it would come up with the original description. This is no longer true. Descriptions are now permanent and will stick with the sale. Note: the new descriptions will stick to the sale, they will not be changed in the stock table.

NOTES
Since descriptions are now “sticky” they can have new uses. During a sale you can hold down [CTRL] and press [F12]. This will cause a text box to pop-up. If you type in a note of up to 210 characters (take that Twitter) and press [ENTER] the note will be reformatted into 24 character lines and will be inserted into the next descriptions of a sale. The text box is 70 characters wide by 3 lines. Don’t worry about splitting a word at the end of a line, just keep typing, the program will reformat the text. Here is a sample receipt with a note…

Code: Select all

---------------------------------------
TRAN     ASSOCIATE                 TIME
9509   1 DALE                     14:44
  STOCK NUMBER DESCRIPTION        PRICE
         60000 COLOR KEY ONE SIDED     
 T1    1    at     2.79ea.         2.79
         69862 PERSONALI FREE KEY      
 T1    1    at     0.00ea.         0.00
         60002 BRASS KEY TWO SIDED     
 T1    1    at     2.99ea.         2.99
          ***THE FOLLOWING ITEMS  
          ARE OUT OF STOCK AND    
          WILL BE BACK ORDERED.   
          YOU WILL BE CALLED WHEN 
          THE MERCHANDISE ARRIVES.
          YOUR PHONE IS (773)        
          555-5555***             
         69301 5/8" X 7' LOCKING CABLE 
 T1    1    at    67.00ea.        67.00
              SUB TOTAL           72.78
     TAX1  at  9.750%            7.10
              SALES TAX            7.10
                  TOTAL           79.88
          CASH TENDERED           79.88
             CHANGE DUE            0.00
You can stick as many notes in a receipt as you wish until you run out of lines in the sale.

You will probably have a bunch of standard notes that you do not want to retype every time you want to stick it into a receipt. Since I feel the same way the program will allow you to save and recall up to 10 notes. When the text box is on the screen hold down [ALT] and press a function key from [F1] to [F10] to save the current note. Hold down [CTRL] and press the same [F?] key to get the note back. Notes are saved on the server so they will be shared over the network. You can also use the [CTRL] + [F?] thing from the sales screen to load a note without opening the text box.

WARNING: If you try to load a note using an [F?] key that was not used to save a note, you will load whatever is on your hard drive at that location at that time. This could cause weird things to happen and I have been too afraid to try it. You can try it if you want to and afterwards if your nurse will allow you to make a phone call you can tell me what happened. To prevent this you may want to open the text box, hold down [ALT] and press the [F1] to [F10] keys one at a time to save a blank note to each slot.

For all you folks that wanted a way to attach a note to a return explaining why the merchandise was returned you are now going to have to find another reason to send me emails. Since you cannot change a transaction using the “5. Void” screen, you will not be able to attach a note to a void. Tough cheese. If I can think of a simple way to do this I might add it sometime in the far distant future. Until then try not having voids.

APRINT6
Jon has created a new version of the aprint program, APRINT6.EXE. It has a completely new interface and will do new stuff.
It also replaces the CDK.EXE program. That program is required to open a serial cash drawer if you use serial options 3 or 6. This means that if you use serial options 3 or 6 that you will have to run APRINT6 even if you do not use APRINT6 for printing. On the other hand you will not need to run 2 programs for opening the serial cash drawer and printing.
APRINT6 will print to networked printers.

The first time you start APRINT6.EXE there will be two buttons at the top of the window labeled “Set receipt printer” and “Set report printer.” To the right of each button it will say “No printer selected”, you will have to select a printer. When you click a button a list of printers will be shown, pick the printer you want. Next you will be shown a list of fixed-width fonts. Pick the font you want and the size you want to print. You can also pick bold and italic if you want really weird receipts. If you are using an actual receipt printer the font and font size you pick may have no effect, the printer will use its own font and size.

However if you are printing to a normal computer printer you will get what you pick. The size is important, if you pick too large a size your receipts may not fit on a page. If you have picked the wrong printer, font, or size just press the button to pick again. Now to the right of the button it will list the printer, font, and size you picked, “bold” or “italic” will not be listed.

Normally receipts and reports are printed to the same printer so you will not need to click the “Set report printer” button. However if you have a second printer attached to this computer and you go to the “Reports” feature of this program you can set up this program to print to two different printers. You will then have to press the “Set report printer” button.
NOTE: Any printer that prints directly to a parallel printer port or a serial port does not have to be setup in the APRINT6 program unless you need to print through the printer driver.

For APRINT6 to work you must start it before you start any of the other Cash Register programs. it must still be running while the other Cash Register programs are running. You must choose the correct printer and that printer must be ready to print. The Cash Register program must be set to send printer data the FILE port, and you cannot close APRINT6 until after you have closed the Cash Register program. To close the APRINT6.EXE program, return to the APRINT6.EXE window and press [X].

PRINT 99 LINES
For those of you using A4 paper or 8.5” x 14 paper (or a really small font size on 8.5” X 11” paper) using a PAGE printer you can now set the program to print up to 99 lines on a page.

TWO KITCHENS
You can now run 2 separate kitchen terminals. For example, one in the kitchen and another in the bar. Each kitchen terminal will only receive the data for that kitchen. The food goes only to the kitchen and the drinks go only to the bar.

You set this up the same way as you did before in the “Kitchen” feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program. Tell the program the range of categories that are to be sent. Only now there are 2 sets of categories, one set for Kitchen #1 and another for Kitchen #2.

When you start the actual KITCHEN.EXE program, from the “Welcome to Kitchen Viewer” screen press [F1] to go to the setup. Near the bottom of the setup will be the parameter of “Is this Kitchen #1 or Kitchen #2” Set the one you want for this terminal.

BUG FIXES
In the THEATER.EXE program the first time you entered the info for a new venue some of the information would not save. It would save when you entered it the second time. I thought I fixed this a while back, you can imagine my surprise.

Was not giving you the correct "remaining gift card value" on receipts

Would not properly load .CSV stock table into clipboard if rounding was set to 1 or more.

Program would die when trying to load .CSV stock table into clipboard if CSV file had more than 15,000 lines.

Figures on wrong line on report "A" when saved as a data file

Warn if inventory is zero on specific lines in the stock table settings would only go up to 13,000.

Download from http://keyhut.com/pos3.htm

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: POS version 7.1 released 5-25-11.

Post by daleadmin » Mon May 30, 2011 12:25 am

Two serious bugs were found in version 7.1

If you tried to increase the number of recorded past transactions the file would be cleared. Fixed in version 7.1a.

Sometimes on a network the POS.EXE program would display a "Path / Access" error and the program would die. This could possiblly also happen on a stand-alone register. Reported by small. Fixed in version 7.1a. This would have been impossible for me to fix without small's help.

Download from http://keyhut.com/pos3.htm

cpb14
Forum Regular

Post by cpb14 » Mon May 30, 2011 11:55 am

Glad Small and you found that

that looks like the first problem i was having so thats good to hear it has been squished.

CB

small
Forum Regular

Post by small » Mon May 30, 2011 11:34 pm

Dale

I think I found a bug with Giftcards.

when I hit F10 to sell a giftcard and i enter the info in for the giftcard and hit + to finish the giftcard sale and when i hit print receipt it gives me the error "Permission denied in line 2 of module gift2" "hit anykey to return to system"

even though it give the error and dies it still prints the giftcard and saves the information to the system.

i have it setup to key in giftcard number and to print the giftcard on the printer.

windows xp

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue May 31, 2011 12:48 am

Small,

I tried it here and no problems so I need more details. First of course, network or no network.

Then page or reciept printer, parallel, serial, or usb port. Anything else you can think of.

Does the error happen every time? If you change something (like not printing the gift card) does the error go away?

Dale

small
Forum Regular

Post by small » Tue May 31, 2011 1:40 am

it is on a network and it only happends when you create a new gift card transaction.
and only seems to happen when it is set to print receipt as gift card
reciept printer, parallel

this also happends on a stand alone register and also on previous versions
Last edited by small on Tue May 31, 2011 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

AussieAussie
Forum Regular

Post by AussieAussie » Tue May 31, 2011 1:47 am

I think I've found a major problem with 7.1a

It doesn't seem to stuff up. Everything I've tried works perfectly.

I just loaded it in and away I went.

Great job Dale and others. Well done.
"...In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue May 31, 2011 12:47 pm

AussieAussie,

Sorry, I will have to try to do worse in the future. I realize that software that just works is boring. :P

Dale

small
Forum Regular

Post by small » Tue May 31, 2011 2:52 pm

Dale

Could you reproduce the error I get

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue May 31, 2011 4:17 pm

Small,

Nope, see you in chat tonight.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue May 31, 2011 9:46 pm

An update from the chat room.

It seems as though small's gift card problem was caused by him trying to do something strange with a Ithaca receipt printer and APRINT6. Once he stopped that the problem went away.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:33 pm

Hey, Dale!
From chat the other night with 'indianagirl about parsing cash/credit payments by item, I was checking out the REC2CSV.EXE results. Using 7.1 I noticed that Returns and Voids didn't include the payment method at the bottom of the transaction. I tried 7.1a and it seems that RETURNS do not show the payment method. Don't know if this reflects also in the POS or if its just a REC2CSV.EXE issue.

Also in the POS when I go to the Voids to view transactions, I noticed that Void transactions show a CASH line in addition to the actual payment type. Example if I create a sale paid in total by Check and then Void it. The Void transaction will show both a CASH and CHECK line. Each with the same value, like this:

├────┴───────┴────────────────────────┴──────────────┼───────┴─────────┴───────┘
│ VOID #20  05-01-2011  15:39                        │
│                                                    │
│                                                    │  Sub Total:        -33755
│                                                    │        Tax:         -2620
│                                                    │      Total:        -36375
│                                                    │       Cash:         36375
│            CHECK# 123                              │      Check:         36375
│          GOV. ID# 123ABC                           │
│            PHONE# 1231231234                       │
It does the same for a transaction that was paid by Credit. When voided, the void transaction shows both a CASH and CREDIT line both with the same amount. Sorry, but life got in the way and I didn't have time to see if this propagates to printed or exported data elsewhere in the program.

later, bruce
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Re: POS version 7.1 REC2CSV error

Post by brucef2112 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:23 pm

Dale. In the REC2CSV export file I also noticed that the line 'TOTAL TENDERED' for transactions with a split payment is always ZERO instead of the total of all payment types used in the transaction.
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:49 pm

Bruce,

I have fixed both of your problems and have uploaded them into version 7.1a. Although the POS.EXE and REC2CSV.EXE files are version 7.1b.

So you can do a full download at http://keyhut.com/pos3.htm or just download the 2 files at http://www.dhpos.com/pos.exe and http://www.dhpos.com/rec2csv.exe

And since I was in the area I modified the REC2CSV.EXE program to send the "tips" data from the opening and closing transactions to the .CSV file.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:09 pm

Dale, did a fresh DL of program but still the same.
The REC2CSV is showing version 7.1b.

The return transactions still do not show the payment methods used for the return. It just ends with the Total.
No TENDERED type/method. In the POS it was return as cash. but it doesn't reflect this in the Rec2Csv data.

BEGIN	RETURN TRANSACTION #	4	5/15/2011	9:34	
STOCK NUMBER	DESCRIPTION	     TAX RATE	PIECES	UNIT PRICE	PRICE
       3	    Item number Three 2	             -2	    3	   -6
	SUB TOTAL				-6
	TOTAL TAX				0
	TOTAL			       	-6
Sales transactions, Voided Sales, and Void transactions are OK (sample of Sales Tranaction).

BEGIN	SALE TRANSACTION #	3	5/15/2011	9:33	
STOCK NUMBER	DESCRIPTION	TAX RATE	PIECES	UNIT PRICE	PRICE
       4	    Item number Four	2	       3	       4	       12
       3	    Item number Three     2	       1	       3        	3
	SUB TOTAL				15
	TOTAL TAX				0
	TOTAL				15
	CASH TENDERED		4
	CREDIT TENDERED		11
	TOTAL TENDERED		15
Also the links provided above to download two files actually point to the same file?. Is there a different file than the full DL?

thanks,
b
Later,
Bruce