SELF CHECKOUT

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Self Checkout Helpful?

YES I WOULD USE THIS
27%
YES THIS IS COOL
9%
NO, I WOULD NOT USE THIS, BUT IT IS COOL
18%
NO, THIS IS A STUPID IDEA AND A WASTE OF DALES TIME
45%

Total votes: 11

emery
Forum Regular
SELF CHECKOUT

Post by emery » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:40 pm

Who wants a self checkout?
Dale is thinking of making a self-checkout program ... this program would tell the customers to scan the items, on finish, the program will auto park the sale and print a receipt, it would tell the customer to go to the cashier, the cashier would enter the code on the "Ticket" into the current pos.exe, would check the items in the bag based on the items it displayed on screen, if items are missing they can be added, if items were added accidentily, they could be removed. this would speed up checkout service for your customers, depending on how big your store is ... note: your system would need to be networked ......

Post your thoughts, Take the poll, Would you use it, Think its cool, Think its stupid ..... Post your thoughts
DSC "Dhpos Self Checkout" Is currently being worked on again, the new site is at
http://dhpos.midislandsnoblazers.ca

emery
Forum Regular

Re: SELF CHECKOUT

Post by emery » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:50 pm

DALE: If making this, would it be hard to make a new customer account interface? like it would say, "please scan your card" then it would search that data into the id feild of the customer database? there wouold be an opt. for Skipping the process or mandatory etc. ??? this would be nice! :P
DSC "Dhpos Self Checkout" Is currently being worked on again, the new site is at

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:21 pm

Emery,

Right now I am worried that there will not be enough free code space to be able to process credit cards, which is what Jon and I are currently working on. Code space is really, really tight.

This means that to add self checkout that it would have to use almost no code at all. So the odds are that there will be no new user interface.

Dale

small
Forum Regular

Post by small » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:12 am

I feel that code could be used in better places. I do not like self checkouts for the main reason is most stores get them like walmart so they can cut down on employees, so I vote no. it is taking jobs away from people. A self checkout like walmart takes 1 person to run about 4 or 5 registers so that means that 3 or 4 people has lost a job. Just my 2 1/2 cents, yes 2 1/2 cents not 2 cents, I feel my opinion is worth 2 1/2 cents.

emery
Forum Regular

Post by emery » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:04 am

small is one of those people, it is taking away peoples jobs, but thats not stopping some retail stores, some stores have no cashires now ... :roll:

oh well, this was a good idea, i thought :idea:

NMS Boosters
Occasional Poster

Post by NMS Boosters » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:17 am

The concept might be great but it would not work where we use this pos program.

Thanks,
Matt

cpb14
Forum Regular

Post by cpb14 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:42 am

I feel it is a cool idea but due to the lack of space that dale spoke of i vote no. Credit Card processing and Customer Accounts are more Important in my opinion. but if it can be added with almost no code like dale also stated i say GO FOR IT

CB

emery
Forum Regular

Post by emery » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:12 pm

i agree with cb, if there is enough room, or little code needed, GO FOR IT

i also agree with the other person above with, credit card processing and customer accounts as being more important ... but also if no code needed , or little GO FOR IT

oeb
Forum Regular

Post by oeb » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:51 am

I was actually just thinking that this could be a practical feature and was going to make a feature suggestion ;)

emery
Forum Regular

Post by emery » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:54 am

haha, well, it may be a reality after accounts and credit processing get finished