Rewards Feature

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Good Feature

yes
80%
no
20%
other (posted below)
No votes

Total votes: 10

daleadmin
Forum Owner
Re: Rewards Feature

Post by daleadmin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:43 pm

But the real question is how does everything affect DSC?

In a small village in Uganda they are drilling a new water well. Will this have a positive affect on DSC?

In a high school in Topeka, Eric and Amy have broken up. What will happen to DSC?

Just before dinner I stepped on my cat. How will DSC handle that situation?

Why is the media dodging the most important consideration of evey news story? How does unemployment impact DSC? Does Romney support DSC? Is DSC responsible for the Arab spring? Where will DSC be on the agenda for the G8 conference this summer? Will global warming mean the end for DSC? What is the media hiding from the American public?

We need answers about DSC now!

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:43 pm

Q: In a small village in Uganda they are drilling a new water well. Will this have a positive affect on DSC?
A: Only if they hit water. Once they do, they can intergrate DSC (Swahili version) with the Well head and a dollar validator which will colminate into a succesful automated water sales bananza. Otherwise DSC is dead and the Ugandans go thirsty.

Q: In a high school in Topeka, Eric and Amy have broken up. What will happen to DSC?
A: Afte a few months of serparation they started talking here and there and ended up having sex. As it turns out, Amy found herself pregnant and had Eric's child. (It was later found that DSC was not instramental in these events.) Eric droped out of high school to get a job to pay child support. Three months later he died in a freak grain elevator accident. Amy was able to continue in school and keep a part time job as a cashier in a local retail store thanks in part that DSC is bug ridden and the store owner never gave it any consideration. DSC dies a fate worse than Eric.

Q: Just before dinner I stepped on my cat. How will DSC handle that situation?
A:1 If Dale loves cats; Although dinner was delayed for a short moment while Dale got a better footing, dinner was fabulous!*
A:2 If Dale hates cats; Although dinner was delayed for a short moment while Dale got a better footing on the cat's neck, dinner was fabulous!*

*In either case, neither Dale nor the cat 'gave a cats ass' about DSC during the tragic event.

Q: Why is the media dodging the most important consideration of evey news story?
A: It is still not known but the media continues to deny that DSC is instramental in these events.

Q: How does unemployment impact DSC?
A: The personal free time created by higher unemployment allows more people to nurse sick squirls back to health. thereby creating more beta testers for DSC. Squirls love to beta test!

Q: Does Romney support DSC?
A: Romney says he is not concerned about the very poor. So unless DSC can create a Super PAC, Romney is not concerned.

Q: Is DSC responsible for the Arab spring?
A: Americans looks to a groundhog for its spring. So why not have the Arab spring based on DSC!? If DSC throws an error, it will be an early Arab spring. If no error its a miracle.

Q: Where will DSC be on the agenda for the G8 conference this summer?
A: This depends on the Arab Spring.

Q: Will global warming mean the end for DSC?
A: Yes, because DSC cannot handle pollution credits at checkout.

Q: What is the media hiding from the American public?
A: Elections and politics is a charade. Elections and Politians are in place to give Americans the elusion that they have the freedom of choice. The advent of DSC has had no affect to change this.
Last edited by brucef2112 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:12 pm

Dale, (or more to those who know something about reward programs.)

Personally I'm in the same place as Dale when it comes to 'Rewards WhatEvers'. As a consumer, I'm fine without them.

As a retailer it seems to be an interesting tool to promote sales.
First, I'll qualify that i know nothing about retail, even less about Rewards Programs, and even less than that about Taxes.

So now I have some questions about the 2 options to apply points.
The first method of earned for the amount of the sale seems simple. however someone needs to speakup about the details of how OR if TAX is applied or not, to accrue points. Does the consumer accrue points for the tax or not? And on the 'cashing in' side of points, From a tax authority view, can points be used to pay the Tax part of the sale? If these are valid issues, then this would need to be a configurable option in the setup.

On the second method which is based on the item's category. Will points be adjusted properly if various reductions (unit reductions, all above reductions or coupon reduction) are applied that include an individual item. Or does the customer get point value base on the set REG Price in the stock table? Again, a configurable option in the setup if so.

also;
Can the points earning be based on the total sales amount but also include promotional 'Bonus Points' for an individual item. ie buy item "A" and recieve an extra 50 points? Again, a configurable option in the setup if so.

Regards,
The Blind & Ignorant.
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:47 pm

Bruce,

If there is one thing I do not need is even more options for this.

My thought is that the points reduce the amount of the sale (like any other reduction) and therefore the amount of tax to be charged. So no tax is collected on points earned and no tax is paid on the redemption of the points. If this does not apply to somebody's local tax situation then it is once again proven that life is harsh. I may figure out a way to fix it but I would not suggest that anyone wait around for it.

If you change the price of the item then the points will also be adjusted accordingly.

No bonus points.

Even though my host store (and the register I use there) have a bonus plan I know little about it. I do not belong to any bonus plans myself because I do not want to carry around a backpack to hold all my bonus cards. My daughter has an Office Max card but it seems to me to be more work on her part to redeem her points that it is worth. She has to go online and access her account and print out a page then give it to clerk who then has to spend 40 extra steps to ring up the sale to take 49¢ off the sale. I would gladly pay the 49¢ just to avoid the hassle. Plus I do not have to find a place for which I have a bonus card, I can shop anywhere.

But many DHPOS users are nuts about bonus plans (or just nuts) and have tried to convince me that the lack of a bonus plan in DHPOS is the true reason for global warming. So just to shut them up, here it is. Enjoy.

I can also use this as a reason why I cannot be a code zombie for Emery. It helps me to keep from shooting him.

Dale

I also liked your DSC reply above.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:52 pm

There has been progress on rewards. I have finished the part of DHPOS where you can enter the options for this feature and to prove that, I have this graphic http://keyhut.com/reward.jpg

You access these screens through the "Customer info/Reward" feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program. Go there and press [F5] to go to these screens.

Dale

emery
Forum Regular

Post by emery » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:29 pm

I'm hoping this data is stored in .TBL and .CST and is accsesssble to me? :mrgreen:
DSC "Dhpos Self Checkout" Is currently being worked on again, the new site is at
http://dhpos.midislandsnoblazers.ca

emery
Forum Regular

Post by emery » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:31 pm

brucef2112 wrote:Q: In a small village in Uganda they are drilling a new water well. Will this have a positive affect on DSC?
A: Only if they hit water. Once they do, they can intergrate DSC (Swahili version) with the Well head and a dollar validator which will colminate into a succesful automated water sales bananza. Otherwise DSC is dead and the Ugandans go thirsty.

Q: In a high school in Topeka, Eric and Amy have broken up. What will happen to DSC?
A: Afte a few months of serparation they started talking here and there and ended up having sex. As it turns out, Amy found herself pregnant and had Eric's child. (It was later found that DSC was not instramental in these events.) Eric droped out of high school to get a job to pay child support. Three months later he died in a freak grain elevator accident. Amy was able to continue in school and keep a part time job as a cashier in a local retail store thanks in part that DSC is bug ridden and the store owner never gave it any consideration. DSC dies a fate worse than Eric.

Q: Just before dinner I stepped on my cat. How will DSC handle that situation?
A:1 If Dale loves cats; Although dinner was delayed for a short moment while Dale got a better footing, dinner was fabulous!*
A:2 If Dale hates cats; Although dinner was delayed for a short moment while Dale got a better footing on the cat's neck, dinner was fabulous!*

*In either case, neither Dale nor the cat 'gave a cats ass' about DSC during the tragic event.

Q: Why is the media dodging the most important consideration of evey news story?
A: It is still not known but the media continues to deny that DSC is instramental in these events.

Q: How does unemployment impact DSC?
A: The personal free time created by higher unemployment allows more people to nurse sick squirls back to health. thereby creating more beta testers for DSC. Squirls love to beta test!

Q: Does Romney support DSC?
A: Romney says he is not concerned about the very poor. So unless DSC can create a Super PAC, Romney is not concerned.

Q: Is DSC responsible for the Arab spring?
A: Americans looks to a groundhog for its spring. So why not have the Arab spring based on DSC!? If DSC throws an error, it will be an early Arab spring. If no error its a miracle.

Q: Where will DSC be on the agenda for the G8 conference this summer?
A: This depends on the Arab Spring.

Q: Will global warming mean the end for DSC?
A: Yes, because DSC cannot handle pollution credits at checkout.

Q: What is the media hiding from the American public?
A: Elections and politics is a charade. Elections and Politians are in place to give Americans the elusion that they have the freedom of choice. The advent of DSC has had no affect to change this.
Thank you bruce, i really didn't want to awnser these questions :lol:
DSC "Dhpos Self Checkout" Is currently being worked on again, the new site is at

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:03 pm

Emery,
Hey, at least the first answer has some glimmer of hope for DSC. :)
And as rough as DSC is, I do make it clear in the last answer that America's political woes are not to blame on DSC.
So smile!! Its not all your fault!! Its not all bad!! :)

Keep trying Em'! :mrgreen:
Later,
Bruce

emery
Forum Regular

Post by emery » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:04 pm

haha, thanks

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:20 pm

More progress on the "Rewards" feature.

Last week I finished the part of the program that is needed to setup this feature.

I now have the program during a sale calculating the points earned in the sale and saving them to the "Customer info" of the correct customer. It also prints the points earned on this transaction and the total points for the customer on the receipt.

Next is redeeming the the points and administrating the points.

So 2 parts down and 2 to go. I may have a test version of this next week.

Dale

emery
Forum Regular

Post by emery » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:30 pm

Yay, so now that you know how they are being recorded, can i redeem them from the selfcheckout? :D

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:29 am

Here is a thought.

The way "rewards" is setup now, if you enable the feature then all customers in the database participate. Should each customer be able to opt in or opt out?

If so explain why you think so.

Dale

small
Forum Regular

Post by small » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:13 am

well I don't know if my 2 cents counts but here it is anyway

I think that this should not be a mandatory program and the customer should be able to opt in or opt out. The reason I say this is I believe that the law in the USA not for sure but I think that they say you must allow a customer or participant the option to not participate in your program.

That is my 2 cents if it counts.

cpb14
Forum Regular

Post by cpb14 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:33 am

I agree there should be a opt out opt in feature. My 2 cents

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:57 pm

This is not going to go as fast as I hoped it would.

The original plan was to make a points payment as a reduction to a sale. That is just wrong. The proper way to do it is to make it a new payment method. And that is what I am going to do.

But to do that will require endless details. For example it will have to appear on the closing screen and receipt. It will have to saved to the file of past sales. And on and on. So I am going to start doing it and will have to overcome each detail as it comes up.

But it will be done eventually.
Dale