Rewards Feature

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Good Feature

yes
80%
no
20%
other (posted below)
No votes

Total votes: 10

small
Forum Regular
Re: Rewards Feature

Post by small » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:20 pm

I would suggest to do it kinda like giftcards. That away they can swipe the rewards card and if there is enough points to redeem then it will use the amount just like a giftcard and you can probably also use alot of code from gift cards.

just another 1 cent to make my 2 cents into 3 cents

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:39 pm

Small,

Even if I did that it still has to be accounted for in the transaction as a payment method. This means that it has to be stored / reported where all the other payment methods are stored.

If you do issue rewards cards with barcodes on them then when you are searching for a customer you can scan the barcode into the "ID number" field of the screen where you find customers.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:09 pm

I guess that it is time for a beta test version of this feature.

You must be using the current version 7.1j of DHPOS. Download this file http://dhpos.com/rewards.exe to the folder that holds your copy of DHPOS. When you run this file it will replace the POS.EXE, POSCONFG.EXE, and CF.EXE program files so you will want to make a backup of them first. This version is 7.1k beta1.

Test the new program and see if it dies or works properly. Also judge how it works. Is it easy to understand, do the screens make sense, what would you do differently.

You need to not only test the new feature in the program but also the documentation which is displayed below. Are the instructions clear? Do they adequately show you how to use the rewards feature.

===============================================================================
If you are upgrading from a previous version you must go to the "Receipt language" feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program and press the one key to reset all the labels.

Rewards

A “Rewards” program can be setup using this POS software. To set it up you must be using the “Customer Info” feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program because the rewards earned for each customer are saved in that customer’s info.

You also setup “Rewards” from the “Customer Info” feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program by pressing “[F5] Setup rewards”.

Customers earn rewards by earning points. Points are earned by purchasing items from your store. You have two options for earning points.

1. You can set the POS program to give points for any purchase made at your store. You decide how many points are earned for the amount of the sale. For example for every 1.00 purchased the customer can earn 10 points. You set the rate to anything you want.

2. You can set the POS program to give points for any purchase made at your store by category. You decide how many points are earned for each item purchased. For example for every 1.00 of brass keys purchased the customer can earn 10 points. For every 1.00 of rubber head keys purchased the customer can earn 15 points. For every 1.00 of sports keys purchased the customer can earn 20 points. No points are earned for purchases of split rings. You set the rates to anything you want.

There are two additional settings. You must set the minimum amount of points needed to redeem them and you must set the cash value of redeemed points, for example 100 points = 1.00

Here is some sample math...,

1.00 in sales = 20 points. 100 points = 1.00 in purchasing power means it takes 5.00 in prior sales to purchase 1.00 in this sale.

1.00 in sales = 20 points. 300 points = 1.00 in purchasing power means it takes 15.00 in prior sales to purchase 1.00 in this sale.

1.00 in sales = 50 points. 100 points = 1.00 in purchasing power means it takes 2.00 in prior sales to purchase 1.00 in this sale.

1.00 in sales = 50 points. 1000 points = 1.00 in purchasing power means it takes 50.00 in prior sales to purchase 1.00 in this sale.

1.00 in sales = 1 point. 100 points = 1.00 in purchasing power means it takes 100.00 in prior sales to purchase 1.00 in this sale.

1.00 in sales = 1 point. 400 points = 1.00 in purchasing power means it takes 400.00 in prior sales to purchase 1.00 in this sale.

In the “Customer info” database you must set the field “ID number” to “SAVE ONLY.” While you can look up a customer in a sale by any field in order for him to earn points, to payout points you will have to enter the customer’s ID number. This prevents someone from giving you another customer’s name or phone number to cash in the other customer’s points. This also allows you to print up some “Rewards” cards for your store to give to customers. It is strongly suggested that you preprint the “ID number” on the cards when they are created to make sure that no two cards have the same number. Then when you create a new customer in the “Customer info” file you can use the number from the preprinted card as the new customer’s “ID number.”

When you look up a customer, or create a new customer, you can press [F9] from the “edit” screen to have that customer either “Opt in” or “OPT out” of the rewards program. If a customer “Opts out” any points already earned will not be erased.
Below is the menu on the customer “edit” screen. Only from this menu can you press [F9] to “opt in” or “opt out” the customer for the rewards program.

[F1] Search from start. Exact match.
[F1] Search from start. Any match.
[F7] Clear all data.
[TAB] Use this data, continue.
[ESC] Cancel, go back.

On every receipt the number of points earned on this purchase and the total number of points earned will be printed like this…

POINTS NOW 508 / TOTAL 15167

When you press [+] to total the sale if enough points have been earned to redeem them, you will be offered the option to “Do you wish to use your 23.85 in rewards points?” Enter the customer’s “ID number” and all the points will be redeemed up to enough to cover the amount of the sale. Press [ESC] to not use points.
Points used will be reflected as an additional payment method.

Points on sale
You can have a rewards promotion. Decreasing the points required for 1.00 in sales increases the value of the points. For example decrease from 50 points = 1.00 to 25 points = 1.00 doubles the value of the points. You can post a sign in your shop saying, “Today only, CASH IN DOUBLE VALUE REWARDS POINTS!” Increasing the points rewarded for a purchase increases the number of points rewarded. “Today only, 25% more rewards points on purchases of printer ink.”

Getting customers onboard.
Having a rewards program in your store is pointless if your customers know nothing about it. You will need signage in your shop to tell them about it. At every sale you will need to ask the customer to join the rewards program. You will want a stack of rewards cards at the register to hand them one when they sign up. Your employees will have to know how to sign up the customers and reward them the points. Your employees will have to be able to explain the program or at least have a hand-out to give to the customers to explain it.

Here is a sample hand-out….

Congratulations for signing up for the “Key shop” rewards program!

Whenever you make a purchase at the “key shop” you will receive rewards points. On your next visit to our store you may cash in your rewards points if you have more than 200. You will have the option of using your available points on the current sale or to conserve them for a future sale.

You can earn points without having your rewards card, but to cash in your points you must have your card or know the ID number printed on it.

Rewards points earned on the current sale cannot be used to reduce the amount of the current sale.

The current value of points is set to 500 points = 1.00 reduction in the sale. This may change at any time and we do have points promotions where less points will be required for a 1.00 reduction.

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:15 am

Dale said:
<DaleH> BTW, I do not think that you will be able to earn or redeem points when purchasing gift cards.
This sounds good.
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:42 pm

Tried to redeem points. tried entering the ID# At screen that request the customer ID and it fails with "Invalid Customer ID".
The customer ID looked up and used at the prompt are the same. Here's the screen shot after the fail.

On an upside, if you just leave it blank when prompted and hit [ENTER] it finishes the transaction OK.
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

emery
Forum Regular

Post by emery » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:13 pm

brucef2112 wrote:Tried to redeem points. tried entering the ID# At screen that request the customer ID and it fails with "Invalid Customer ID".
The customer ID looked up and used at the prompt are the same. Here's the screen shot after the fail.

On an upside, if you just leave it blank when prompted and hit [ENTER] it finishes the transaction OK.

works fine for me
DSC "Dhpos Self Checkout" Is currently being worked on again, the new site is at
http://dhpos.midislandsnoblazers.ca

small
Forum Regular

Post by small » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:23 pm

I have same problem Bruce. If your using networked pos that might be the problem.

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:35 pm

no network. standalone register.
Windows XP SP3
DHPOS originally 7.04 upgraded to 7.1j upgraded to Points version.
Later,
Bruce

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Re: Rewards Overstated on return receipt

Post by brucef2112 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:55 pm

Dale,
My REWARDS program settings: ON, 20, 300, 20

Found that if you make a return the total points are overstated at the completion of the transaction. However when you go to the next sale for the same customer it does show the correct total points.
Notice after first sale receipt I have 4206 total points.
I do a return, which for my Rewards program equals -120 to be deducted which shows correctly for the NOW points.
However my Total points is overstated as 5991 instead of 4086. An error of 785 points being added to the TOTAL.
But when I go to the next sale for the same customer the points are correct.
So on the next sale my NOW points are 120 and shows the correct Total points as 4206.

So it looks like there is some miscalculation during the return and printed on the receipt but the program is storing the correct number to the customer file.

Code: Select all

PAH and MAH JONGG, LLC
=======// cut //
---------------------------------------
TRAN     ASSOCIATE                 TIME
2000                              04:35
578-62---------------------------------
BRUCE 
1234 ANY STREET
BLAH, FLORIDUH 33065
555-234-4561             
B@SOMEURL.COM
POINTS NOW  120 / TOTAL 4206 
  STOCK NUMBER DESCRIPTION        PRICE
   63304007000 Trick Dice              
 T1    1    at     5.99ea.         5.99
              SUB TOTAL            5.99
     TAX1  at  6.000%            0.36
           FL SALES TAX            0.36
                  TOTAL            6.35
          CASH TENDERED            6.35
             CHANGE DUE            0.00
=======================================
        // CUT //
               02-25-2012

PAH and MAH JONGG, LLC
=======// cut //
2001                              04:37
578-63---------------------------------
BRUCE 
1234 ANY STREET
BLAH, FLORIDUH 33065
555-234-4561             
B@SOMEURL.COM
POINTS NOW -120 / TOTAL 5991        <<<------OVERSTATED TOTAL POINTS BY 785
   63304007000 Trick Dice              
 T1   -1    at     5.99ea.        -5.99
              SUB TOTAL           -5.99
     TAX1  at  6.000%           -0.36
           FL SALES TAX           -0.36
                  TOTAL           -6.35
REWARDS POINTS TENDERED           -6.35
=======// cut //
               02-25-2012

PAH and MAH JONGG, LLC
=======// cut //
2002                              04:39
578-64---------------------------------
BRUCE 
1234 ANY STREET
BLAH, FLORIDUH 33065
555-234-4561             
B@SOMEURL.COM
POINTS NOW  120 / TOTAL 4206 
   63304007000 Trick Dice              
 T1    1    at     5.99ea.         5.99
              SUB TOTAL            5.99
     TAX1  at  6.000%            0.36
           FL SALES TAX            0.36
                  TOTAL            6.35
REWARDS POINTS TENDERED            6.35
             CHANGE DUE            0.00
=======// cut //
               02-25-2012

Later
Later,
Bruce

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Re: Customer lookup screen menu choices

Post by brucef2112 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:05 pm

Dale,
During a sale I look up a customer by name. Enter in the parital, hit F3. It finds the correct customer then get this menu:

what feature is number three? how is this used? [TAB] 3. Use this, DO NOT SAVE!

Also, if I cancel the customer search I am return to the sales screen that looks like this.. some kinda screen refresh?
But at this point nothing can be added to the sale. entering in a stock number just beeps the PC. Only [+] to finish sale works.

Doing the [+] to finish sale and looking up customer again causes customer's points to show as zero and the customer is also shown at opt OUT. even though nothing was changed or saved with customer info.

HOwever this is just on screen because going to the next sale the customer is shown as opt IN and customer points are shown.

But again esc the customer info to return to sale and looking up customer again. the cusotmer is Opt OUT and point show!?
Later,
Bruce

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:50 pm

Bruce,

small, Emery, and I are all talking about these things in chat. Why aren't you there?

Also you are a BETA behind. Download the link again http://dhpos.com/rewards.exe to get BETA 2

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Re: Rewards Feature Screen messaging

Post by brucef2112 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:38 pm

Hey dale,
on the customer search screen you show the Points info like this

║          Sales since:            0.00║
║        Refunds since:            0.00║
╣Checks: ++++   Credit: ++++           ║
║[F9] OPT OUT   Points:            2661║
╚══════════════════════════════════════╝
I think the layout of the F9 and the Opt info may be confusing as displayed.
The F9 is an action. the OPT OUT is information. One could look at this and think that you would hit the F9 key to opt OUT.
In the very least, a ":" after the OPT may distinguish this as a setting instead of an action of the F9 key. Similar to "Checks:+++"

║[F9] OPT:OUT   Points:            2661║
However, I think instead of shoehorning the F9 command in with a status settings I propose this.
Shift this screen up 1 row (looks like there is 3 empty rows above the customer display box.)
Then implement the "F" menu bar like you have at the bottom of the sales screens and other places to the bottom of the customer screen.

This will clear the "action" from the "information' part and give you lots more flexability to implement action "F" keys on the bottom row related to making changes/updates.

Propose Customer Screen change: The general Idea is to get the Action items away from the information items.
I want information I look up. I want to change/update something look down to menu bar.
Later,
Bruce

cpb14
Forum Regular

Post by cpb14 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:02 pm

Dale

i am testing and will bring a report to chat tonight.

CB

cpb14
Forum Regular

Post by cpb14 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:20 pm

Dale

i found some bugs that will be in my Report in Chat

CB

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:54 pm

Just what the world needs, another BETA of DHPOS. Here is 7.1k BETA3 http://dhpos.com/rewards.exe

Some of the crabbing above got fixed, some of it got punted to BETA4. give it a try and post here or even better come to chat tonight.

http://keyhut.com/chat.htm

Dale