Site Issues: change in webhost plan

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

sysadmin
Forum Regular
Site Issues: change in webhost plan

Post by sysadmin » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:01 pm

Well, the time is fast approaching when I will need to increase the amount of space available (through the web host provider) for this forum. Between the forum and chat database and static files (the actual pages), we are using about 85% of available space. Since this space is also shared with my wife and my own email, one large email sent to either of us could have a dramatic (and potetntially costly) impact on the site.

Ok, on to the important stuff. Before too long I am going to change to a larger hosting plan, which may result in a disruption in service of somewhere between 2 hours and 2 days. Before I do this I will need to pull down a complete backup of everything (at present, only the forum database is kept current as a backup, everything else is pretty easy to replace), as well as do some other maintenance work. I will give a minimum of 3 days notice here before I request the increase, so hopefully everyone will know WHY it is down, once it is.

I'm sorry I can't give an exact date, but to be quite honest money is tight and as such, the cash on hand has the deciding vote :) As soon as I can, I will, since this update will allow me to take advantage of some aditional tools and make new things available on the forum, as well. Expect this to happen within the month (so by the 15th or so of next month). So, hopefully it will be soon, and hopefully it will go smoothly, but we'll see when the time comes.

Jonathan Simpson
Chat / Forum server administrator

R.J.

Post by R.J. » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:29 am

I would just like to let you know what a wonderful job everyone is doing. Especially to Dale. I too am developing POS software (Windows version)... I just wanted to let you know that I will be soon getting a new domain for pos software and if you need me to store any files, host any forums, chats, etc.. anything at all, please let me know. I'd be more than happy to help out in any way that I could.

Thanks!
R.J.