Cost and Sell price more than 9999.99

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Paul
Cost and Sell price more than 9999.99

Post by Paul » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:34 am

I want to start a small computer shop, but there are a bunch of stuff that is more than 9999.99. cost and sell price.Maybe just because of our currency in south africa.
is this a limit on POS or can it be changed?
The other problem I have is the description field is a bit short for computer equipment, 24 chars, could this be any bigger ?

Thanks
Paul :?
pr@vesta.co.za

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

More money

Post by Dale Harris » Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:25 am

Paul,

Assuming that you do not use decimals in your money you can use the "Rounding" feature in the POSCONFG.EXE program and set "Rounding" to "1". This will multiply the monetary limits in the program by 100 and you will be able to have prices from 1 to 999999.

24 characters is a longer description field than most POS programs allow and if I were to increase it there would be no place for the additional characters to go. Both the screen and the receipts have been maxed out and to make the descriptions longer would require removing something else.

This is the point where people point out that they only use 5 digit stock numbers or do not use decimal places in their "Pieces" etc. so I could take room from there to increase what they want made longer. But other people do use those things and we all have to use the same version of the program because there is only one version of my POS. I have tried maintaining multiple versions and it is a nightmare. Also just allowing 40 and 80 character receipts is a lot of programming overhead in a program that has little room left. So it will not be possible to have customizable receipts for each person.

Sorry,
Dale

chasmit
Forum Regular

stk#, item desc fields

Post by chasmit » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:47 pm

Dale,
Thanks again for the 24-character
item description field.
That was one of the features I had in mind
the time I assumed you used this POS
yourself every day at work.
24 was a generous number for you to give us.
I use some short home-made stock numbers
but I use barcodes too, so that is that
for me in regards to the stk# field
width.
You do a pretty good job of trying to be
all things to all people Dale.
Charles Smith

Paul

Thanks

Post by Paul » Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:02 pm

Thanks for the info, I will try it and work arround the description.
I am going to try creating a stock code with no price that i will use as an extra line if i need to put more info in the invoice.
and this is a great software.
I admire your time and effort you put into this.

Thanks
Paul

chasmit
Forum Regular

my old home-made program

Post by chasmit » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:48 pm

Paul,
I am in the Nursery/Greenhouse business.
My home-made database files had 36-wide
item desc fields. That was for my purposes.
Azalea Exbury Klondike 3g 15-18"
Arborvitae Elegantissima 5-6' B&B
Stagreen Nursery Special 50Lb
Our Book-Keeper uses Peachtree.
20-wide item desc field.
Dale fits somewhere in the middle and it is
up to me to fit what I have to fit in there.
DHPOS does so much for me where I really
can't afford a commercial software product.
My Dad sort of communicated to me that
sometimes we have to squeeze in what we have to
squeeze in into small spaces when we really don't have
the money to expand.
Charles

Bobby
Forum Regular

Well said

Post by Bobby » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:41 pm

Well said

chasmit
Forum Regular

Post by chasmit » Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:51 pm

Thank You Bobby.

Someday, future generation people will call
us the old geezers.
But the ones who grew up the hard way back in the
1900's and the 1800's knew what hard work was.
Chas
Last edited by chasmit on Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:14 am

Chas, I look forward to being a "geezer" as I am already at the ripe old age of 20. :P

I think "hard work" is a broad term and in today's world it can be applied to most jobs. I work as a cashier in a large supermarket, which sounds like an easy and lazy job but there is a lot of heavy lifting involved (boxesof bags and till rolls, 10kg potatoes, lines of trolleys etc - especially if you're a guy, it's expected).

Plus, with our store being the size that it is - after a couple of trips to the other side and back for prices etc, you could do with a 5 min break (we are attempting to arrange for roller skates or even better, electronic skooters for checkout lol). Not to mention cleaning, stocking shelves at the lanes and other random tasks as assigned by supervisors.

So, I think although my day may not be necessarily "hard" in many eyes, by the end of the day - I sure feel like I have earnt my minimum wage for the day. :D

For even more emphasis - recently we were open on Easter Saturday, the mall in which our store resides tallied 22,000 visitors to the centre (this is almost more than the population of the city we are in). It is estimated about 80-90% of those would have visited and passed through our store. :o
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)