OPOS & Scale Support

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

CBL
OPOS & Scale Support

Post by CBL » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:05 pm

Hello all.

I am looking at helping someone set up a basic scanning system for their business, and DHPOS is ideal, except it does not support integrated scales.

The easiest way to achieve this in Windows is to use OPOS drivers, but obviously this is not possible in DOS.

I am willing to write a simple Windows program (as time allows) to control OPOS printers, cash drawers, pole displays, scanners, and scales.

Printers, pole displays, and cash drawer control can be achieved using the existing DHPOS file drop system. Scanners are easy, I can make it emulate key presses (like a keyboard wedge scanner). Scales are the only one that will require DHPOS to be modified.

If you look at a scanning system in a supermarket, when you weigh your fruit and vegetables, the system automatically reads the weight from the scale when the checkout operator enters the PLU for the item, and subtracts a tare weight (to compensate for the weight of a plastic/paper bag, or wrap) automatically.

What I need to make this work is a signal from DHPOS to get the weight from the scale (most likely via file drop) and then return the weight to it, and DHPOS to use the weight as a quantity.

The tidiest way to do this (I think) would be to have the scale item flagged, and the tare weight stored, in the DHPOS stock table. But I know that this would require altering the file format of the stock table, which is likely to be an unpleasant exercise. Maybe cheat and use a second file to store this extra info? I don't know.

Dale, what are your thoughts on this? Is it something you might add to your "think about" pile?

All the best.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: OPOS & Scale Support

Post by daleadmin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:24 pm

It will go into the "think about it" pile but right now I am working on the "rewards" feature and avoiding Emery.

Dale

CBL

Post by CBL » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:29 pm

OK.

Will watch and wait, let me know if it eventually works its way to the top of the pile.

emery
Forum Regular

Post by emery » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:33 pm

daleadmin wrote:avoiding Emery.

Dale
Ouch :cry:
DSC "Dhpos Self Checkout" Is currently being worked on again, the new site is at
http://dhpos.midislandsnoblazers.ca

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:44 am

Emery,

Actually I am not avoiding you. We were both in chat tonight, you just had nothing to say there.

I am actually avoiding working on your DSC program. I am back to working on my POS program and it feels REALLY WONDERFUL to accomplish something with it.

And soon everyone will have a new DHPOS feature that 1. Is finished and 2. Actually works. How cool is that?

Dale

emery
Forum Regular

Post by emery » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:30 am

lol, I know :)

Very cool

Although i woulld like to be able to redeem points and also be able to tell dhpos about the items purchessed as well :)
*at the self checkout
DSC "Dhpos Self Checkout" Is currently being worked on again, the new site is at
http://dhpos.midislandsnoblazers.ca

RJ
Forum Regular

Post by RJ » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:12 pm

I actually have already written something for OPOS. Does not include the scale interface, just printer, cash drawer, and pole display.
R.J.
Website coming soon...