Awkward Printing?

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

ProDeZigner
Forum Regular
Re: Awkward Printing?

Post by ProDeZigner » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:44 pm

I get off of work in about an hour. When I go home I'll print a receipt with pos MAID, and take a pic (hopefully I can find my cable for my REAL camera and not my crappy phone camera).

The manual describes how to program different character sizes, but I have no freaking clue how to program this thing. I DID try using the Generic / Text printer driver, and for the most part, it worked, except I couldn't get it to kick the drawer. At least it printed the Windows test print OK.

The driver/manual set is located @ http://www.loftek.us/downloads.asp, its' a .RAR file, and then during uncompression it'll say that the 80MM Manual is corrupt (not a big deal considering I have the 58MM model).

ProDeZigner
Forum Regular

Post by ProDeZigner » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:14 pm

As promised, here are the receipts from pos MAID using both Image and Soft Text (the one with the barcode is the Image mode).
Attachments
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG (202.85 KiB) Viewed 12529 times

ProDeZigner
Forum Regular

Post by ProDeZigner » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:16 pm

And the Soft Text option...
Attachments
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG (214.53 KiB) Viewed 12529 times

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:53 pm

ProDeZigner,

I have counted the characters per line on your sample receipts and the one with the most characters was 34. 34 is better but still not 40.

However, lets assume that there is a control code sequence that will allow the printer to print 40 CPL and you have found out what it is. Now what? Usually the control sequence must be sent to the printer before each receipt is printed. DHPOS is not going to do that.

So it is unlikely that the printer can print 40 characters per line.

Even if it can theoretically be done it cannot practically be done.

Now what?

Are you determined against all reason to get this printer to work with DHPOS? If so, I know a bunch of serial printer owners with which you can share your obsession.

Dale

ProDeZigner
Forum Regular

Post by ProDeZigner » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:16 pm

It's not that I'm hell bent on getting it to work, it's just that it's almost working. Your software is the best free POS available. If I KNEW how to program this printer, I would do it, I'm not at the computer with the printer at the moment. I'm not even against sending it back. I just want a cheap printer for the time being, when funds allow, I can upgrade to something better.

I appreciate all the help thus far.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:13 am

ProDeZigner,

And Bruce and I are here to help you.

I just think that it is unlikely that this will have a good outcome.

When it totally does not work then the choice is easy. Just chuck it. The worst thing is when it almost works. Then you think that there is just this little tiny hump that you have to get past. You can see it, it's right there, just one more little push and you are done. But sometimes that does not happen.

If I can help I will.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:24 am

Pro',
I just want a cheap printer for the time being, when funds allow,.....
In that case you you may do well to get Star Micronics TSP600 POS Thermal Printer.
Its an older series (I think the latest is the 650 series) thermal printer but I think it falls into the workhorse category that would get you going and give you time to upgrade later. As of this writing ebay past sales show they're selling on average between $60 to $120. Some are tear-bar others have the auto-cut. Personally I try to find the "For Sale By Owner" as a better bet than the re-sellers claiming referb items. And as you know, watch for the interface type before you buy.

Later,
b
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

ProDeZigner
Forum Regular

Post by ProDeZigner » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:39 am

Alright, so here's some great news.

I got this printer to work finally after tweaking in Aprint. Which leads me to my next question, can we implement a feature on Aprint to allow decimal based font sizes?

I tried sizes 5 and 6. For some odd reason before they wouldn't take... but now they do *shrug*. 5 is a bit small, but legible. 6 fits ALMOST perfect with just a few pixels shaved. If Aprint *in theory* allowed for decimal sizes I could tweak this printer to work and then we could have a cheap printer we can support here! Also Receipt is spelled wrong in Aprint 6, and can the period be removed from the title bar? It's kind of an oddity.

YAY!!!

Thanks again for all the help guys.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:24 am

ProDeZigner,

I have sent an email to Jon to ask him to tweak APRINT or even if it is possible to do so.

Dale