opening receipt - tran numbers

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

jake69
Forum Regular
opening receipt - tran numbers

Post by jake69 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:48 pm

Dear Dale,

We usually do not print an opening receipt, we do not need it. When asked if we want to print one we tell the POS no. BUT actually what seems to happen is that the system makes an open receipt and stores it in the system, but just does not print it. This saved open also has a Tran number that is missing then in the running numbers in our accounting. Is there a possibility to completely prevent the system to make an open receipt with its own tran number? When audited and the tax authorities might ask for the missing numbers.

Thanks and best regards from Austria,

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: opening receipt - tran numbers

Post by daleadmin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Jake,

The opening receipt is there so that everyone can check to make sure that all the values have been set to zero form the previous night. While you did not print the opening receipt it is saved in the record of previous sales that you can view using the "5. Voids" feature from the main POS menu. It is also saved in the journal. So you should have no problem convincing your tax buddies that the transaction was an opening receipt.

Dale

jake69
Forum Regular

Post by jake69 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:54 am

Dear Dale,

Yes, I am sure it is convincing once I have been able to convince them to dig into our system. If the tax guy is able to read English, that is. I suspect that's not a requirement for them. I am not at all sure what the requirements are :-)

Nevertheless, I was thinking that if not printing it, why save it? It would certainly save me from having to explain a lot of things if it was not in the record unless asked for... But hey, I am using a free program and I am happy, whatever you decide is right for your program. (Does it help if I say PLEEEAAAASSSSEEE?)

Best regards,

Jake - the Austrian guy (Austria, we have NO Kangaroos!)

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:58 pm

Jake,

Probably not. The opening receipt does have a security purpose. If you terminate the program by closing the window then there will be no closing receipt generated. However to open the register again you have to generate an opening receipt.

A few years back a user told me that when he went through the log of past sales that when one person was working that she had dozens of opening receipts for her shift. After a short investigation he found out that by doing something I will not repeat here that the employee found a way to complete a sale but to terminate the program before it could be properly recorded. Then she just restarted DHPOS and pocketed the money. The security problem that was exploited has been fixed but that does not mean that another will not be found. So opening receipts do serve a purpose other than letting you know that the register was properly reset to all zeros the previous night.

However if opening receipts are messing up your accounting why do not closing receipts do that also, not to mention no sales and voids? After all, they are not sales transactions either.

Dale

jake69
Forum Regular

Post by jake69 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:25 am

Hi,

Because we do not print the opening receipt.

I understand the necessity of the opening receipt, thanks for explaining.

Best regards,

Jake