2 for $$ Deals

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

xcinek
Occasional Poster
2 for $$ Deals

Post by xcinek » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi,
I have been using this great POS software for quite sometime.

I want to make a suggestion for a new addition to this software. I need some "YES" votesfor this so Dale and his team will say yes.

What would be a great addition is 2 for or 3 for deals. I'm sure it would help a lot of stores out there.

Please kindly write your idea or a message that you would like this feature in Dale's POS software.

Martin

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Re: 2 for $$ Deals

Post by brucef2112 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:41 pm

Check the forum links below for starters.
They offer some wonderful insight about the type of feature you are requesting along with a possible workaround.

1 product 3 prices

Added Discount?

Instore offers

Alternate prices

Given the history and technical hurtles of this feature it most likely isn't going to happen anytime soon.
Myself, I don't need this feature, but If you need a Yes vote, here's mine. 'YES'.
(Dale, please place my Yes vote for this right behind my "Pony on the splash screen" vote. Thanks! ;-)
Last edited by brucef2112 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:44 pm

I have gone through this before but I guess it is time to repeat it.

Here are some deals that have been requested in the past...
Buy 1 get one free.
Buy 1 get a percentage off on a second.
Buy 1 get a dollar amount off on a second.
(And consider that you could want to set any percentage or dollar amount off.)
Buy 2 get one free.
Buy 2 get a percentage off on a third.
Buy 2 get a dollar amount off on a third.
Buy 3 get one free.
Buy 3 get a percentage off on a fourth.
Buy 3 get a dollar amount off on a fourth.
(and so on for buy 4, 5, 6, etc.)
Buy 2 of this and get one of those for free.
Buy 2 of this and get one of those for a percentage off.
Buy 2 of this and get one of those for a dollar amount off.
(and so on for buy 4, 5, 6, etc.)
Buy this and that and get something else for free.
Buy this and that and get something else for a percentage off.
Buy this and that and get something else for a dollar amount off.

OK, assuming that I could code all of these possible deals into DHPOS, how would you set up each of these deals? Remember that each of these deals would be on some merchandise but not others. Would each item in your stock table have to have 20 screens to set up all possible deals for that item? It is one price if you buy one, but another price if you buy 2, still another price if you buy 3, yet another price if you buy something else, or 2 different something elses.

Also consider that when you add another item to a sale that the entire sale must be polled to see if the new item is part of any deal and if the new item will not only change in price but will also change the price of items that were rung into the sale previously. (My head is starting to hurt.)

Or maybe you would want to make up your deals by category, not a specific item. (Buy any 3 CDs and get something off on a CD storage case.) Ok, now you have increased the complexity value by a factor of 100.

Well (you say) I do not want all those other deals, I just want my deals. But other folk want their deals but not yours. Who gets what they want?

Answer: I do. And I do not want to spend the rest of my life doing nothing but coding every possible, conceivable deal into DHPOS.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:26 pm

Dale, if you did complete the "all deals for all situations" code. This would then be followed by requests for additional reports to track and quantify the deals, by Stock and Price and Cost and...and... and...... a pony. (KLOC now raised to the power of 4)

There is a manual workaround that I can think of to handle the Buy # get one free. This is quite easy since the addition of the Notes feature.
So if you have a buy 2 get 1 free.
Scan the two items.
Add a note "Buy 2 get 1 free Promo item below" or (whatever works for you)
scan the 3rd item.
do a F9, Reduce one item above, equal to the regular price. (so it is zero)
Done!

Customer gets their deal, you've documented on the receipt why the item cost nothing (to avoid them returning the other two) and Dale didn't have to write any code! Everyone is happy!!!
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:37 pm

Bruce,

Good plan. The only problem that I see with that is if this is a 167 line sale and the first one was sold on line 42, the second one on line 97, and the free one on line 154.

After all you are not going to expect the customer to group like things together, are you?

Dale