THE END!

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
THE END!

Post by daleadmin » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:19 pm

No, not the end of DHPOS but it is the end of the DOS version.

Except for possible bug fixes there will be no further new features for the DOS version of DHPOS. I have been struggling for the last several months to try to get the "rewards" feature, or anything else, into the POS.EXE file and it is just not happening. The code has finally grown too large for QB7.1 to handle. The last added feature will be the new enhancement to the History Reports.

I am now going to devote my programming time to porting DHPOS over to QB64. This is not going to be easy and it going to require a VERY LONG TIME no matter what Small posts here. 8) The QB64 version will require Windows XP or later to function and will work on 64 bit computers without having to use DOSBox or any other DOS emulating programs.

The DOS version will still be available for download but will be frozen at Version 7.1J. For as long as possible 7.1J will be file compatible to the QB64 version which means that you can switch between them on different computers. However eventually the QB64 version may have new file structures to support new features. While I will probably create a conversion program to move files from DOS to QB64 it will be one way only. This means that you can upgrade from the DOS version to the QB64 version while still being able to access your old data and files but you will not be able to return to the DOS version.

Dale

small
Forum Regular

Re: THE END!

Post by small » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:24 am

This is not going to be easy and it going to require a VERY LONG TIME no matter what Small posts here.

I never Said it would be an easy task, I did say it would never get done if you don't start on it. It also might be impossible to accomplish without a major rewrite of the code seeing how QB64 does not have some of the Keywords that QB 7.1 used. I wish you the best of luck on your long journey!!!! We Have faith in you Dale.

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:31 am

Is it ready, yet!?!?!?............

How 'bout now???.............

Now??????

*<bruce hands dale a small box of technology trinkets>*
Dale, be sure to make an offering to the binary gods so they may shower your soul with protection from the QB7 Devil. He will certainly be angered at your departure from the fold and will do his best to have you stumble and fail. Stay strong and do not look the QB7 Devil in the eye!!
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:20 pm

Bruce,

Anytime the QB7.1 god wants to remove the 640k memory limit I would be more than happy to stay.

It would also be nice if Billy would stick 32 bit support back into the newer versions of Windows.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:04 pm

Amen.
*<Bruce puts another tiny box of technology trinkets together as an offering to Billy>*
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759