VFD 2300 Customer Display

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

victory
Occasional Poster
VFD 2300 Customer Display

Post by victory » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:16 am

I need some assistance installing this Customer Display.
It is connected to the computer via an USB port after loading device driver.
The system configures it to COM5 and I reset to COM4 via Device Manager setting port parameter to 9600,N,8,1.
Use POSCONFG to set the display port to COM4,9600,N,8,1.
Start Pole.exe from the \POS folder, no message is displayed on the VFD 2300.
First with the default Epson emulation and the with Logic Control mode with the same result.

Can anyone help.

Victory

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Re: VFD 2300 Customer Display

Post by brucef2112 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:07 pm

Did the manufacture's drivers disc come with a program that allows to test the pole display directly, and did it work?

(assuming you are trying this on a Windows OS)
From a DOS prompt, have you tried redirecting text, or a text file to the COM port to see if it displays anything?

It been forever since I've sent commands to a com port but something like these.

Code: Select all

MODE COM4:9600,N,8,1
ECHO Hello > com4:

or create a text file containing "Hello World" in it and try.
COPY c:\Hello.txt > com4
or
TYPE  c:\Hello.txt > com4

Or have you tried sending text directly to the pole display using Windows HyperTerminal?
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:58 pm

Well there are several problems here.

First is that QB will not address COM ports other than 1 or 2.

Second even though a USB port is technically a COM port is really not a 9 pin serial port which is what my program expects.

Third is that my POS program has only been tested for Logic Control brand pole displays. Posiflex may use the Logic Control command set or it may not, good luck with that.

However if you want a customer display that will connect to a USB port have you looked at this http://keyhut.com/bigpole.htm

I personally use the MIMO UM-710S display.

Here are the differences...

2300 cost = $164 and it displays only 2 lines of 20 characters and only 1 display mode. You might be able to get it to work, or maybe not.

MIMO cost = $60 to $120 and will display from 2 lines of 20 character to 25 lines of 40 characters with 5 display modes.

So the bottom lines is the 2300 costs more, displays less, and you may not be able to get it to work. On the other hand the MIMO costs less, displays more and you positively will be able to get it to work (Windows XP or later).

Dale

victory
Occasional Poster

Post by victory » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:38 am

Thanks guys, I will try this out tomorrow and let you know how it pans out.

Victory

victory
Occasional Poster

Post by victory » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:07 am

Thanks guys, it works when connected to COM1, but the first line wraps the last three (3) characters to the second.
Epson emulation (default) was used.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Victory