DO NOT USE "POS" AS REGISTER, FILE and ACCESS CODE NAME

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

pcmedic
DO NOT USE "POS" AS REGISTER, FILE and ACCESS CODE NAME

Post by pcmedic » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:52 pm

I opened a computer repair store and I had everything up and running day one. Today I went to close my register and I got this error on my screen

http://imageshack.com/a/img35/6829/yw6f.jpg

I could not exit out of the program. I could not access my transactions, nor POS.exe was working at all. If I had a busy day, I would have to manually write transactions and receipts.

Please do not use the name "POS" (without quotes) as REGISTER, FILE and ACCESS CODE NAME.

To fix the problem, you would need to rename all of your files other than "POS" (without quotes)

If you look in your cash register folder, it will have a file end with .POS as a extension.

You will also see .HR, .HSS, .HST, .IDX, .INV, .JNL, .KIT

THOSE ARE YOUR CASH REGISTER FILES. PLEASE DO NOT HAVE "POS" INFRONT OF THEM.

If you already setup your program, make sure its not using POS names. I can't stress this enough.

Rename the files other than POS but KEEP the extensions the same.

Restart the program and it should work.

As always keep a backup. If you have issues, please check out dales chat on his website. He is a wonderful helping person. Thank you Dale for solving my problem!

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Re: DO NOT USE "POS" AS REGISTER, FILE and ACCESS CODE NAME

Post by brucef2112 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:18 pm

PCMEDIC,
You should have a sense of accomplishment and pride to be the first person in almost 13 years to bring DHPOS to its knees right from the start of installation with just 3 benign key stokes!
You also earn bonus points because its a "time bomb" event that doesn't go off until you close the register!
Well played!! And Congratulations!!! :lol:

(Would it be safe to say, don't choose a register name that is the same as any of the prefix file names found in the DHPOS program!?!?!)
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

pcmedic

Re: DO NOT USE "POS" AS REGISTER, FILE and ACCESS CODE NAME

Post by pcmedic » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:59 pm

lol