Don't run DHPOS with Windows in SAFE MODE

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

brucef2112
Forum Regular
Don't run DHPOS with Windows in SAFE MODE

Post by brucef2112 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:54 pm

Just a quick note of caution to all.
Having a problem with your PC and think you can limp along for the day by running in SAFE MODE. DON'T DO IT!!
With Windows in SAFE MODE, DHPOS will crash.

One morning I was having some hardware issues with a PC I've been running the register on for many years.
I could only get the PC to run in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORK.
So I thought my day was only half bad. I'd run my register for the day and fix the PC problem after hours.
Tried to do a sale and it crashed. Tried to do a register closeout, same thing happened.

I don't think this is something that needs to be, or can be fixed in DHPOS.
I think its a Windows thing. When in SAFE mode any program trying to 'do' what DHPOS does will not be allowed to 'do it' in SAFE Mode.
Just know that you cannot do it.

I doubt it matters but I'm running XP sp3
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759