Changing the language in DHPOS

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
Changing the language in DHPOS

Post by daleadmin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:00 pm

While I am going to make a QB64 version of DHPOS the DOS version of DHPOS is done and I will never do another version. So I am going to make a "Hex Editor" for it to allow anyone to change the text in the DOS DHPOS program. Specifically it will allow anyone to replace the English text with text in any other language as long as that language uses the Latin alphabet. You will also be able to use the same extra characters that the "Receipt language" feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program does. An additional constraint is that the new text cannot be even one character longer than the English text however a new shorter text can be padded with spaces. The reason this requires a version of the program that will not change is that there will be no new versions so you will not have to do the language conversion ever again, do it once and you are done.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: Changing the language in DHPOS

Post by daleadmin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:01 pm

As usual things are not going perfectly. I have written the manual for the program to allow you to change the text in the Cash Register program files but I have also run into a problem in creating the program. Both the manual and the problem are posted here http://www.dhpos.com/language.htm

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:53 am

Time for a progress report on the language thing. It is going pretty well. I have about 80% finished the program that will put the text and location of each text string into a file. When that is done I will write the program that you will use that will take that file and allow you to change the text in a string into another language and then insert it into the Cash Register program. This second program looks to be easier to write than the one I am almost finished with.

Once both programs are finished I will make a text-string file for the main POS.EXE program and upload the file and the second program for anyone to download. They can then be used to change the language of the main POS.EXE program.

Any questions?

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:50 pm

Well the language thing is finished and posted. The details and the download link are here http://www.dhpos.com/language.htm

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:52 pm

A second text string data file has been uploaded. That one is for the FILEINFO.EXE file which does the "8. Reports" feature.