POS 56 Employee Bugs

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Dylan1
POS 56 Employee Bugs

Post by Dylan1 » Wed May 12, 2004 5:24 pm

WOW, THIS IS REALLY BAD!!!!!
The first day i got 56-emp
i decided that i was going to fill
all 56 employee slots.
and i did.
ONE FREAKIN PROBLEM!
The program will accept ANY
password i throw at it as a employee
password. EX. on startup,
It>Employee password:
Me>99
It> Opening Cash Fund:
Me>....
BUT i have no employee
with the password of "99"!
the employee's names are the same
as their number: Employee1 Name=1 Employee56 Name=56
and passwords are same as names, plus one:
Employee1 Name=1 Password=2
Employee2 Name=2 Password=3

Dale! This needs FIXIN ASAP!!!!!

Thanx,
Dylan aka Dil aka JD

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Fixed, maybe

Post by Dale Harris » Wed May 12, 2004 7:25 pm

Dil,

I think you are talking about PIN numbers not passwords.

Well this is why we have beta testers to find stuff like this before a new version is released. They have let me down on version 6.0? and I am going to dock all their pay. Which should not be too harsh a punishment since I don't pay them anything.

I think I have it fixed. Download it here http://keyhut.com/pos3.htm and let us all know if it is all better.
Dale

Chas

Duplicate pins

Post by Chas » Thu May 13, 2004 2:42 am

Just entered a whole bunch of people into POS.

Sunny 104
Cher 103
Chasity 102

Works great but say I hire
Jack and Jill Next week and jack wants an pin of 222 fine now jill wants a pin of 104 fine because Sonny has worked for me for 2 years and i forgot he used 104 because i put it in 2 years ago. I type it in & the computer accepts it. Jack and Jill go to work because it's Sonny's Day off & everything is fine but Jill signs on with 104 and her name is Sunny and not Jill and Cher the Manager gets mad & busts Sunny a week later because his drawer was short 2 days this week. Was it Jack or Jill???

I guess you can use differant pins for each employee like their last 4 digets of their SS # or something. Everything would be fine as long as you don't have duplicates.

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Thu May 13, 2004 2:49 am

So in a nutshell - more than one employee can have the same PIN, and if DHPOS was to say "That PIN is already allocated" it could be a security risk?

Perhaps this brings up the question of "logging in" with an employee number and password upon starting POS, instead of having to put your PIN in at most turns in the program?
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Post by Guest » Thu May 13, 2004 3:31 am

As I see it, there are two ways around a this problem (without Dale having to do any work to POS):

1 - Give your employees barcoded cards issued by management.
2 - Have employees start their PIN with their employee number - eg. employee 1 wants pin 415, have then type in 01415. If employee 56 also wants pin 415, they can use 56415.

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Pin numbers

Post by Dale Harris » Thu May 13, 2004 9:16 am

I really like the part about solving the problem with no work for Dale. :)

If you let your employees use short 1 to 3 digit PIN numbers this is not a good idea. The whole purpose of using PIN numbers instead of just using the position in the employee list is so that one employee cannot use another employee's login.

If an employee has nefarious purposes and you allow short PIN numbers all that employee has to do is to just stand there and punch in random PIN numbers until one works. Which will not take too long if you have 30 employees with 1 to 3 digit PIN numbers. Then he can impersonate the other employee when ever he wants to blame her for what he is doing.

However if you require 6 to 8 digit PIN numbers then punching in a random PINs will take quite a while to come up with a match. It is also a good idea to change PIN numbers once in a while in case someone got lucky with the "random" thing.

As a last point you are not supposed to assign PIN numbers to employees because you are not supposed to know what an employee's PIN number is, only the employee is supposed to know. If you accuse an employee of doing something because of the use of a PIN then he can just say, "Well you know what my PIN is, maybe you did it and are trying to frame me so that you can fire me."
Dale

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Cashier # and PIN

Post by ChrisKraus » Sun May 16, 2004 12:25 pm

Anonymous wrote:As I see it, there are two ways around a this problem (without Dale having to do any work to POS):

1 - Give your employees barcoded cards issued by management.
2 - Have employees start their PIN with their employee number - eg. employee 1 wants pin 415, have then type in 01415. If employee 56 also wants pin 415, they can use 56415.
<HR>
You should have a screen like this, to avoid confusion between 2 cashiers with the same PIN number. Just have is ask for their cashier # and PIN.

Code: Select all

Cashier#: [__________]
     PIN: [__________]
Just an idea,
Chris :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

Pete
Occasional Poster

Re: Cashier # and PIN

Post by Pete » Mon May 24, 2004 1:29 pm

chriskraus wrote: <HR>
You should have a screen like this, to avoid confusion between 2 cashiers with the same PIN number. Just have is ask for their cashier # and PIN.

Code: Select all

Cashier#: [__________]
     PIN: [__________]
Just an idea,
Chris :)
great idea, and that way you can have more than 56 employees!
only an idea!!!!
Peter
- England

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

56 employees.

Post by Dale Harris » Mon May 24, 2004 6:39 pm

Chris,

Then I would get complaints that when you start a sale that you would have to not only enter your position on the employee list but (groan, sigh) you would have to enter you PIN NUMBER TOO!!!!!!! The national suicide rate would soar to astronomical heights.

<hr>

Peter,

Well no, you would not. For each employee the program has to store his name, pin number, total sales information and detailed sales information. Just being able to enter a position and PIN number will not create storage space in the various files to store all this information. Storage space has to be allocated so that one type of information does not write over some other type of information. Most data files contain information on wildly different topics and you would not want the 57th employee's PIN number to screw up the printer settings would you?
Dale