Odyssey (Library System) / Andrew

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

anabus_maximus
Forum Regular

Post by anabus_maximus » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:31 pm

You might've missed this post...
anabus_maximus wrote:...
You said that the access database will hold 200 items. Is that just materials, or does that include patrons (borrowers)?
Tim
Somewhere behind the athlete you've become, the hours of practice and the coaches who've pushed you, is the little boy who fell in love with the water and never looked back. Swim for him and no one else...

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:54 pm

No, I said my copy of the Odyssey database has 200 items (201 copies, 5 borrowers) , which I exported from another Library program's sample database and imported into mine.

MS Access is almost limitless, but rumours I hear are that it's performance begins to lag around 12,000 records, I'm not sure if that's per table or per database.

As with DHPOS, if someone has more than 12,000 items - I would beginning to wonder how they can't afford a professional program. :)

<HR>
And just in case someone wants to debate using Access over SQL, here's my points for using the former:

a) Access is an easy, reliable, comprehensive database formats for most projects I build

b) I have used Access in one form or another for about 4 years. Previously we bought a package to manage all aspects of a private training centre, and they had written the whole thing in Access, it was brilliant.

c) Access doesn't need to be installed on the computers of the people who use this.

d) SQL requires a server, and I haven't bothered to install an SQL server on my machine for databases so don't see why my users should have to.

There, think I've covered my backside on this one, just in case the argument does arise. :P
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Beta/Alpha/Pre-Alpha

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:48 pm

Could you post one of the above?
Please :D
I promise I won't groan. :lol:[/b]

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:57 am

Patience dear testers. I have a couple of other projects in limbo and any release I do make will NOT be a complete program - it will only be to test the features I have worked on so far.

This may be in a couple of weeks, no promises and please don't ask for dates etc. This is a "when I have time" project, and seeing as I work shift work at a security company, as well as running home PC troubleshooting, I only manage a few hours of programming a week nowadays.

anabus_maximus
Forum Regular

Post by anabus_maximus » Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:25 pm

Forgive me, I misunderstood you.
Somewhere behind the athlete you've become, the hours of practice and the coaches who've pushed you, is the little boy who fell in love with the water and never looked back. Swim for him and no one else...

anabus_maximus
Forum Regular

Post by anabus_maximus » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:50 pm

Feel free to post any updates, we're eager to hear from you

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:41 am

I believe that is what I have been using this thread for.

No posts = no updates. I have currently been roped into a major project at work, which seeing as it earns me money - takes top priority.

tris_

when?

Post by tris_ » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:18 am

When will it be avaliable for download? i have been looking for something like this for sooo long? i wont groan

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:53 am

I'm sorry guys but as I've said I am now focusing on a work project which is my top priority, because...well...I get paid for it. Also as I work shifts, there is little time for programming or anything else really except sleeping.

I said at the beginning I was never putting a date on this release, because it was a hobby project and I wasn't going to be tied down to dates.

It will be released when it is released. When I do so, rest assured it will be posted here. :)

Pete
Occasional Poster

Post by Pete » Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:03 pm

Andrew,

I have a suggestion, if they ask for a date don't let them download it simple as.

Anyway, hows it going, still having fun?

And come on people, i have read nearly every message in this thread and nearly every one of them ask "when is it released?" and to be honest, that is quite annoying! and im sure andrew said that he will let you know when it is ready for testers!! so be patient!!

Have fun andrew! :D
Peter
- England

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:54 pm

Hi Pete

Thanks, yes I am still enjoying the project (when I get time to work on it), and I don't mind people asking how it's going, but the purpose of this thread was:

a) for me to inform of progress in the project
b) for forum visitors to make suggestions as to what they would like to see or ideas on how Odyssey might work, or comment on what I've done or planned so far

I'm not blind (although a recent optometrist bill says otherwise) and can see there is a lot of interest in this project, but so far - very few people have offered suggestions of ideas.

At the moment - I am making it how I should think it should work based on past Library experience and through downloading and demoing some pretty shoddy Library applications considering their pricing.

Systems I have tried and disliked:
- ResourceMate:
Interface people, where is it? :P
http://www.resourcemate.com

- LexWin:
Although I used Lexifile, the DOS version at my last job, the windows one needs a nicer interface, it looks almost exactly like the DOS one, but in windows form
http://www.lex.sk.ca

The 'OK' pile:
- Alice/Annie:
This is a nicely designed windows system but could do with work on it's complex screens, good security system design
http://www.softlink.com.au
- Alexandria:
Awesome interface, but the command entry system via circulation screen is reminiscent of running a dos program with switches
http://www.goalexandria.com

My heroes of Library Automation:
- Surpass (Central, Safari) now sold as a package as Surpass Centriva:
Great interface, great workflows, great package, perhaps my top pick!
http://www.surpasssoftware.com

- L4U:
Canadian designed and a good interface, although I think circulation could do with simplifying, but other than that, nifty and cleancut all round
http://www.l4u.com

That's all I can remember at the moment. So yeah, in a nutshell it would be nice to have some (realistic) feature suggestions and ideas.

Thanks, :)

Pete
Occasional Poster

Post by Pete » Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:07 pm

Hi Andrew,

I was looking at the screen shots of LIBMAN and it looks familiar to the the Library system the the Council uses here in England, but they call it NorLink - which i think stands for Norfolk Link!

i do have one suggestion! will LIBMAN have a over due letter, because at the school i work for they have a Library system called Eclipse, and this software does not produce letters like these, and have to be hand produced! and that would be an ideal thing.

ill have to think of some more! there are a few things going round in my head, but dont make much sense!

Have Fun
Peter
- England

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:50 pm

Hi Pete

Yes it will definitely generate overdue slips/lists or letters for printing. :)

I also hope it will be able to email these if the borrower has an email address entered in Odyssey.

Thanks,

BTW - LIBMAN is no more - it's Odyssey now.

anabus_maximus
Forum Regular

Post by anabus_maximus » Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:13 pm

As far as the browser goes, will you be able to specify a list of sites that a person is allowed/not allowed to visit? If so, could there be a possible "level" system, such as;

No restrictions
Verified adults
Unverified adults
Teenagers with permission
Teenagers without permission
Kids with permission
Kids without permission

Something like that, just to add a possibility of censorship. (Permission is referring to parental permisison)

Also, you had said that it will be a watered-down version of IE. Will that include a favorites list?

peachey13
Forum Regular

Post by peachey13 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:53 pm

I have a few ?'s

1. will it be networkable ??
2. what versions of windows will it work on ??