Odyssey (Library System) / Andrew

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Odyssey (Library System) / Andrew

Post by Guest » Thu May 13, 2004 2:57 pm

Hello!
I was just wondering...
You were once working on a library program called LIBMAN. I know that now you are conccentrating on PAYROLL, but could you maybe post any code you've got? :oops: And if not, could you make LIBMAN your next project? :D

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Fri May 14, 2004 1:42 am

I know I mucked around on this, however don't worry - although I have been working on Payroll, I have also been working on a project called "Odyssey" which is basically the re-incarnation of LIBMAN.

I'm not sure when a workable version will be available, but it will be windows based in the same style as the new Payroll and data will be stored in Access databases for easy retrieval by the program based on a wide variety of SQL queries.

Maybe if I get some time later I will post some preliminary screenshots.

PS: please don't ask for release dates :) as this is a hobby program due to my being frustrated with the lack of quality in freeware Library Automation applications (I don't mean book collecting, I mean full blown Library Management software).
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Thu May 20, 2004 5:47 am

OK - here's what I've been working on (in fact I was up till about 4am last night working on the OPAC - search module)...

Initial Login Screen

Login Confirmation

After Logging In

Circulation Desk

Stocktaking Mode

OPAC Mode - main menu

OPAC Mode - title search

OPAC Mode - title search (results)

OPAC Mode - viewing item

OPAC Mode - viewing copies of an item

OPAC Mode - placing a hold for an item

This application uses an Access database backend to store data, and my test database has 200 items, searches take a split second to display results with this amount of items. I will be interested to test it with a larger catalogue.

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Posting graphics

Post by Dale Harris » Thu May 20, 2004 6:24 pm

Chris,

I am reposting your message here.....
<hr>
WOW, This Looks Great!!!!! Do you have a website for it? This looks much better than what I am using now for my Family Library (ResourceMate 2.0)

- Chris

PS- I would love to test it!!!

I notice that you have a tendency to repost the message that you are replying to. This is pointless if the message you are replying to is the message right above your post. But that is usually harmless so I have not cared enough to point this out. However when you repost a whole pile of large graphics this causes a huge bandwith / storage problem for the forum.

Try not to do this in the furure.
Dale

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Fri May 21, 2004 7:10 am

Dale,

Thanks for posting Chris' message - I have hosted the images on my own personal website and they are simply linked to there in my message so should cause no space/bandwidth problems for Jon. :)

Chris,

Thanks - I have used a demo of ResourceMate and it was a bit old fashioned in my opinion and a bit clunky to use. This is really why I started this project, because a) Librarianship is a personal passion, and b) I disliked all available free library management systems.

There is no website yet - why? Well what is there to put on a site apart from some screenshots and info? :) Maybe I will slap something up sometime but it's not a priority.

Although the system is going to be as broad as possible, allowing fines etc, it will not be suitable for super-high volume libraries due to the MS Access database backend. As I said, I have 200 test titles in my database and the once you enter a search term or scan a barcode for stocktake, the resulting match(es) appear instantly.

I still have yet to complete the Circulation Desk as well as starting the Catalogue (add/edit titles and copies) as well as Borrowers (add/edit borrowers and library cards). Then perhaps I'll release a test version, but it's still in it's infancy, there are no options or proper security, although I have designed it to use user-level priviledges, with functions being assigned a min level, and each user having a priviledge level of 0-99 (0 being no access, 99 being highest access).

Please note Odyssey and Payroll are hobby projects and I will be working on them when/if I can, as such I make no promises or release dates. ;)

Pete
Occasional Poster

Post by Pete » Mon May 24, 2004 1:14 pm

andrew,

that looks really good! well done and i must agree with what you said about Free Library software.

have fun whilst doing this little project otherwise it will be a chore.

:D
Peter
- England

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Tue May 25, 2004 4:19 am

Pete

Thanks for your comments, I am indeed enjoying this project as it is something more intune with my personality...I love Libraries and especially the automation side of things.

This provides a nice distraction for the straight and narrow Payroll program.

My main aim - to make it one of the top free Library systems, with amazing simplicity & usability...while still being as fully featured possible. :D Here's hoping, so far so good lol.

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Post by ChrisKraus » Tue May 25, 2004 3:05 pm

When is a beta version comming out? I would love to test the software!!!
- Chris :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Tue May 25, 2004 9:33 pm

PS: please don't ask for release dates
:D Be patient young Chris, if I release such an early version people will moan like they did with the early alpha copy of Payroll, cos it didn't contain everything.

Multiple Checkouts

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:37 pm

First of all, will the circulation part of the program allow you to check out multiple books to the same person without needing to scan/type their number for each book? And also, will it be possible to simply scan another patron barcode and start a new checkout without having to press 'End Checkout' or anything?
Thanks.
P.S. Wither way, I'm using it.

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:45 pm

Hi

1) Yes, you just scan/enter the borrower number, then scan all the items to loan. To use a new borrower, you click the "Walk away" icon (red footsteps - indicating the borrower has left the desk), which will clear the borrower and currently showing item and be ready for the next borrower.

You will also be able to click the handshake icon in the item panel, which will do the same as footsteps - but give options such as printing a receipt etc.

2) At the moment, Odyssey doesn't distinguish between item/borrower barcodes. So if you scanned a borrower code while in the item barcode box, it would tell you item xxx was not found.

I may work on this in the future, but if I got it to search all the items, and if it didn't find a match, then search through the borrowers, it could be time consuming. Also, there would be a problem if an item and a borrower had the same barcode.

Glad to hear you are looking forward to using this program. I anticipate an early testing version, with catalogue/borrower control intact and ready to test within a few weeks. It won't however be a complete version with all the features discussed.

anabus_maximus
Forum Regular

Post by anabus_maximus » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:56 pm

Andrew,

Sounds like a great program. I had one question though:

You said that the access database will hold 200 items. Is that just materials, or does that include patrons (borrowers)?

Looking forward to its release!

Tim
Somewhere behind the athlete you've become, the hours of practice and the coaches who've pushed you, is the little boy who fell in love with the water and never looked back. Swim for him and no one else...

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:58 pm

Hi,

I thought perhaps I should mention a new "toy" I added the other day, but is still in construction.

I added an Internet Access button to the OPAC screen, which will be enabled or disabled by your Library. Once the user clicks the button, it prompts them for a Internet Access Ticket number, or for their Library Card Number of PIN.

The idea is, you will be able to load credit onto a Library card, or create a ticket for them to use. Whicever they use - has credit which entitles them to a certain amount of internet access, stored in seconds.

They have to enter a valid ticket/library card to access the browser, which opens inside the Odyssey program, but is still using Internet Explorer. It has restricted access to things which may bypass the timer, such as "Open in New Window", certain right clicking etc.

A timer at the bottom shows them how many hrs/mins/secs of time they have left and they are warned when they get close to 0. Once it hits 0, the browser closes and they are back to the enter ticket/library card screen.

Hopefully it will be useful to someone. At least one. :P

anabus_maximus
Forum Regular

Post by anabus_maximus » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:11 pm

Sounds like a useful feature.

Two more questions:
I saw in the screenshots that there is a button that will let you search amazon. Will that prompt for a library card/ticket number? Also, is there an option to disable that?

Will there be an option (in OPAC) for patrons/borrowers to view their patron information or to renew checked out items and cancel reserved items?

I'm just full of questions aren't I? :)

Tim
Somewhere behind the athlete you've become, the hours of practice and the coaches who've pushed you, is the little boy who fell in love with the water and never looked back. Swim for him and no one else...

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:45 pm

1) The web link options will be enabled/disabled via an options dialog.

Although this won't prompt for ticket/card it will have a time limit, again configurable by yourself or you may hide the buttons completely.

PS: The Amazon buttons open Amazon and search by the ISBN or Author for you, you don't have to do anything.

2) The OPAC will have a Borrower login function, the WebOPAC will also have this capability.

Questions are good - as long as I have answers, and so far so good :P