POLE DISPLAY

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

posworld
POLE testing

Post by posworld » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:37 pm

I tested the latest release with the Logic Controls PD-3000 and it worked beautifully. In addition, I tested it with an ATEN USB to SERIAL adapter, which also worked fine, if you don't have an available USB port. Serial to USB adaptors of any type usually work, as Windows simply adds it as a standard COM port. (Windows 98 Second Edition or higher).

Based on this test, I would recommend sticking with the PD-3000 and no other variations. (available in 'cream' or black).

I will be adding new, lower cost bundles soon that will have the display as an option. Thank you Dale for the acknowledgement with our help. It was my pleasure and I hope I can find time to help with other projects as they come up.

Kind regards,

Joe Bushey
President & CEO
POS World, Inc.

Kian

Post by Kian » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:17 am

I'm using DHPOS 6.10, win'98, PD2200 Posiflex connected through serial port. The PD settings are COM1, 9600, 8, 1, NONE.
The text appears correctly at my PD but I have 2 problems.

1. The price that appear at PD still using decimal although I already
set NOT to use decimal from POSCONFIG (at Rounding Menu)
For example : The price should appear as 5000 (five thousand), but my PD shows 50.00 (at my country it means fifty)
FYI, I live at Indonesia, and the currency doesn't use decimal.

2. The text seemed like 'misplaced'. For example,

It should be : Shown at my PD :
|----------------------| |----------------------|
|WELCOME TO | | MY STORE |
| MY STORE | |WELCOME TO |

|Serving you is... | | KIAN |
| KIAN | |Serving you is... |

Is there anything wrong with my setting or my PD ?
For me, Problem no.2 is not "really" a problem, I still can live with that :)
But problem no.1 really bug me, because my customers always get confused about the number.
Thank you for your help.
Oh, one more thing, Great work Dale and Jon ! :)
And of course, POSWORLD too !

Kian

Post by Kian » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:25 am

Looks like there is a problem with my drawing. I can't give spaces between words.
Well I was trying to draw poledisplay with text.
The bottom line is, the first text shows at the second line, and the second text shows at the first line.
I hope you can understand what I'm saying 'cause my English looks like messed up... heheheh

Thank you anyway :)

Pete
Occasional Poster

Post by Pete » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:04 am

Kian wrote:I'm using DHPOS 6.10, win'98, PD2200 Posiflex connected through serial port. The PD settings are COM1, 9600, 8, 1, NONE.
The text appears correctly at my PD but I have 2 problems.

1. The price that appear at PD still using decimal although I already
set NOT to use decimal from POSCONFIG (at Rounding Menu)
For example : The price should appear as 5000 (five thousand), but my PD shows 50.00 (at my country it means fifty)
FYI, I live at Indonesia, and the currency doesn't use decimal.

2. The text seemed like 'misplaced'. For example,

It should be : Shown at my PD :
|WELCOME TO | | MY STORE |
| MY STORE | |WELCOME TO |

|Serving you is... | | KIAN |
| KIAN | |Serving you is... |

Is there anything wrong with my setting or my PD ?
For me, Problem no.2 is not "really" a problem, I still can live with that :)
But problem no.1 really bug me, because my customers always get confused about the number.
Thank you for your help.

Oh, one more thing, Great work Dale and Jon ! :)
And of course, POSWORLD too !
ive noticed this and what you have to do is start POLE.EXE and then exit, restart it, and then exit it, do this until the PD displays what it should. abit confusing i know but thats how i managed to overcome the problem! :)

Hope it helps!

P.S. your first problem ill leave for dale!!
Peter
- England

Kian

Post by Kian » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:41 am

Hi Pete,
I've tried it many times and still got that problem.
However, thanks for your input.

Kian

Post by Kian » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:38 am

Dale & Jon,

any new update about the Pole ? :lol:

-Kian-
Indonesia

Jonathan Simpson
Site Administrator

Post by Jonathan Simpson » Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:19 am

Kian: At the moment, only Logic Controls displays are supported, and they require that the lines be sent in reverse order, which is the cause of your bug. I have been working on a more general purpose version that will work with other displays, and as soon as I make some progress there I'll let it be known.
Jonathan Simpson
Check out the Dale Harris chat room @ http://www.home-nets.biz/chat

2dFx
Occasional Poster

Post by 2dFx » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:45 am

I dont understand what the difficulty is with implementing pole support into DHPOS. I have an IBM 4614 terminal with a 2 line 20 character display on COM2 and all I need to do to get it to display text is ti use the 'TYPE' command to get whatever text I need...can't the same similar, yet simple programming be put into the DHPOS program?

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:58 am

2dfx,

If it was that simple - it would have been done. Jon is working on this when he gets a spare moment, but like most of us we have other lives to lead which take time away from our hobby projects.

There are many brands of pole displays, many models, protocols, operating systems which limit DOS access to various peripherals etc.

While it may seem simple to most - it's like saying "why is there not just ONE printer driver which controls every printer on the market?".
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

rickpos
Forum Regular

While not simple, it's not all that complicated either.

Post by rickpos » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:28 pm

Folks, please take a moment to read the following thread if you're serious about helping Dale, Jon and I to further support for display poles for DHPOS:

http://www.home-nets.biz/discuss/phpBB2 ... .php?t=539

Quite simply, I proposed an idea to Dale and Jon which would have the user enter their display pole's escape codes via POSCONFG (similar to the "Open Cash Drawer" screen with a few extra fields.) Not only would this make it possible for a wider support of displays, it will also offer support for those running DHPOS under native DOS!! At the same time, configuration information would also be stored in POLE.CFG for those running under Windows and using POLE.EXE. Since some installations of Windows (especially 2000/XP) are picky about direct port access by a DOS app, DHPOS would not open the port unless it's running under native DOS (Windows being detected via an identification routine or just having the user answer a YES/NO question.) Instead, it would rely on POLE.EXE to take over that function.

Perhaps this post will yield more results than the aforementioned topic I submitted??

Thanks!

Previous Postings.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:45 pm

I thought it was considered general knowlage of the DHPOS BB system, that we don't link one thead, to another. In fact, this has been brought up before....I'd show you where, but then I'd be a pot calling the kettle black. Even more so unnecessary when the previous thread is almost 3 months old. As far as the argument to support a broader array of pole displays....shouldn't we get the current system fully debugged before we start throwing more cogs into the machinery?

xcinek

Post by xcinek » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:26 pm

does any one know if logic pd3000 with usb ending will work with the pos program???

xcinek

Post by xcinek » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:07 pm

Did any one try to connect PD6000 with this program. I just got the PD3000 but the letter are I think too small for the customers. I want to excange it for PD6000 I just want to make sure it was tested and it works.

thanks