Gas Station

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Joey
Gas Station

Post by Joey » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:26 am

Hi Great looking program Dale,

I was thinking upgrading my register to barcodes instead of manually entering in items. Do you know of anybody who has used it in the gas station setting? It looks like it would be perfect for the inside merchandise. The gas console and credit machine are separated from the old cash register.

How would you enter in amount of fuel for a specific type of gas?

Thanks,
Joey

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Gas station

Post by Dale Harris » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:47 am

Joey,

I have heard from several gas station convience stores that use POS for their shops.

Gas however would be tough on a per gallon basis. The problem is that gas prices, at least in Chicago, are always figured to .9 of a cent or for example $1.549 per gallon. I guess that the gas companies think that people would pay $1.549 for a gallon of gas but would would drive clear across town rather than pay $1.55 for a gallon. My POS program will only allow 2 decimal places for prices.

The amount of gas is no problem because the POS program will allow 2 decimal places in the pieces so you can ring up 16.25 gallons. Think of one gallon as one piece when you are asked for the "pieces" after entering the stock number when ringing up a sale.

Of course another option is to not worry about the amount of gas or the price per gallon. If other equipment in your station keeps track of the amount of gas you sell so that you do not need the register to also keep track, then you can just ring up the gas as pieces = 1 and then enter the price for the total amount such as 18.98. This assumes that the pump will tell you to total to ring up so that you will not have to calculate it. The problem with this method is that the customer will not get a receipt saying how much gas was purchased and what the price per gallon was and that may not be legal in your location.
Dale