If you have....

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

peachey13
Forum Regular
If you have....

Post by peachey13 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:23 pm

If you have a computer with a os that dosn't support dos (E.G. 2000,XP,ME) would it be possible to install a version of dos (e.g. ms dos 7.0 or freedos ) and would it work normally .

***GO THE AUSTRALIANS***
thanks in advance,
peachey 111213 :roll:

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:19 am

On 2000, NT, and XP, you can install DOS on the primary partition (drive c:) if the partition is formatted as FAT or FAT32. Most of them are formatted NTFS, which DOS cannot use. Once you get it installed you need to convince the bootloader that comes with NT to add it to a boot list (which I am not entirely sure how to do). Once you do this, you get a choice at bootup... Start windows, or DOS.

For ME, DOS is actually already there, you just can't access it through the F8 key on startup anymore. Check out this site for information on how to fix this http://www.geocities.com/mfd4life_2000/. I have tested this before and it worked great for me, but it's not a Microsoft supported thing so use it at your own risk.