Barcode Reader Question

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Fonzey
Barcode Reader Question

Post by Fonzey » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:50 am

Hi I have a Symbol LS2000MX barcode reader, with an RJ45 to a 9 pin serial connector. Nothing happens when it is plugged into a PC serial port, but i know you can get a wedge cable for this type of scanner. My question is, is there a piece of software to make the scanner work or will I need to replace the cable / wire the existing cable into a keyboard?

I am new to POS hardware so any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:46 am

See the item "Serial scanner setup" in the manual (REGISTER.TXT), however the functionality of any serial device with DHPOS is not guaranteed.

We strongly recommend the use of keyboard wedge technology for scanners - because serial causes us way too many headaches.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Fonzey

Post by Fonzey » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:49 am

Thanks for your help, just wondering, when the reader is plugged in it shows no sign of power at all, even with a serial to wedge driver running, perhaps it is defective?

Grahamw
Forum Regular

try this

Post by Grahamw » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:06 pm

hey most serial scanners require a power supply .i have the same scanner and i had to get a power supply for it to work
it does work

to turn on the option in win 9x and 2000 and nt

open control pannels
open accesibility
under one of the tabs there is a option checkbox to turn on serial keys
check this box
click apply
click ok
a restart may be required
YOU WILL STILL NEED A POWER SUPPLY

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:25 pm

Awsom I just did that and it worked ! I had to set buad rate to standerd 9600, by defualt it was 300.

I am using Win2K pro serial port 2

holy crap

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:07 pm

We have serial functionality w/POS w/Win 2K!

Maybe our programmers could look into this

Mr. 74

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Problem With Power For LS2000

Post by ibmsystems » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:49 am

Hi,

I Think You Guy's May Have Already Fixed This But Usually Symbol Scanners With MX And 0 And The End Of The Model Require A LL-500 Omni-Link That Supplies Power And Decode's The Barcode Scanners Such As The Symbol LS2208 Have A Decoder Built In The Handle

DK ;)