programable keyboard

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

kaj
programable keyboard

Post by kaj » Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:14 pm

Dear Members

I would like to know if anyone of you have used a programable keyboard such as Preh keyboards on DHPOS.
I need to create large keys for cash sale or specific PLUs etc. Would it work?

Appreciate any help and advise on this.
Thanks

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Programmable key boards

Post by Dale Harris » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:41 pm

Kaj,

Well you can sort of. If my understanding of programmable keyboards is correct it is possible to program a key on such a keyboard to send any ASCII code (or multiple codes) to the program when it is pressed.

For example you could label one of the keys [TOTAL] and program it to send ASCII 43 (which is the [+] key) to the program. Then you could press your new [TOTAL] key to finish a sale instead of the [+] key.

However pressing your new [TOTAL] key will only do something while the program is looking for the [+] key to be pressed. For example if in a sale you are typing in the "quantity" and press [TOTAL] you will be told that "You cannot access that option from here" because that is the message you would get if you had pressed the [+] key. To actually total a sale you may only press the [+] key (or your new [TOTAL] key) when the program is asking you for the stock number.

You may also be able to program multiple key presses into a programmable key. For example you could program "53698541353" into a key. Then if that is the stock number for an item in your store you could press that key to enter that stock number into the "Stock number" box. Add ASCII 13 to the key and it is the same as pressing [ENTER] so you can just type in the price. Or add two ASCII 13's to the end of the stock number and you can go straight to entering the quantity.

Remember that the programmable key will only send a stream of key presses to the program. However if the program is not looking for that particular stream of data then all that will happen is nothing or you will get a psychotic response from the program. All that pressing a programmable key will do is to replace pressing the individual keys on the regular keyboard.
Dale

Alan
POS Guru

Yes

Post by Alan » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:37 am

Yes i've got a Preh Commander MC128, i've programmed all the keys.

I think it was the Alt - Break command I used to program it (using a keyboard plugged into the Preh)

Alan

Kaj

programmable keyboard

Post by Kaj » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:39 pm

Hi,
Thanks i will test this.
Regards

Carl

Post by Carl » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:18 am

Kaj

If you got to the preh website you can download the programme that allows you to programme your keyboard.

You will need to use a 'normal' keyboard as well to do this.

It is a bit time consuming, but for things like plus etc well worth it, and it works fine with DHPOS

Posfanatics

Preh Commander MC 128 WX cable lost - Pls Help!!!!

Post by Posfanatics » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:15 pm

Hi Allan or anybody who have a Preh keyboard,

Just received a Preh MC128 from a friend, but it comes w/o the cables (lost!). Appreciate, if u could tell me what kind of cables does your keyboard uses and how do u connect them, lets say I required to connect two keyboard (one normal keyboard and another Preh Commander) together to one computer?

Saw two port at the back of the keyboard, recognised one as PS/2, but there is another one with 8-holes (not sure what is that for) with indication to PC. :roll: This is where I am confused. If it is using PS/2, I could have bought one of those with 2 male PS/2, connecting one to PC and another to the keyboard. But this one requires one to have a 8-holes mini-DIN cable connecting one end to PC and another end to keyboard......??? Which is which? tried to look for the 8 holes mini-DIN cables wif a male PS/2 , but not available in the computer stores.

Please advise. Many thanks in advance.

Joshua

peewee3ie
Forum Regular

Post by peewee3ie » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:33 pm

I have a cable that mite work with your keyboard please could you send me a pic of the key board to this e-mail address as i will know if the cable will work. as could you send a pic of the ports on the keyboard. if you can

(((Please put in the dot this is to stop spammers))))

tony@mcgcs(DOT)com

As i mite have a cable that you can have it. i worked with them keyboards befor and have a spear cable that is no good to me. it is a specal cable for the keyboards. i will also send you the software to program the keyboard. I DONOT WANT ANY MONEY FOR THE CABLE. I will post it to you any were in the world
Tony McGuire
Ireland Support

peewee3ie
Forum Regular

Post by peewee3ie » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:43 pm

just to reply yes the cable that i have will work just send me you address and i will post it to you.
send me your address to the e-mail address in the post be for this one
Tony McGuire
Ireland Support

Posfanatics

Progammable keyboard!

Post by Posfanatics » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:11 am

Hi Tony,

Thanks a great deal for your offer. Really appreciate it. Will definitely be lost without the cable. Have sent you my address. If the postage is deemed too expensive, I will pay for it (just doing my part) hehe. Anyway, thanks again.

Joshua

Alan
POS Guru

Also

Post by Alan » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:09 pm

If thats the wrong cable - I do have the correct Preh cables somewhere in my cable box!

Alan

peewee3ie
Forum Regular

Post by peewee3ie » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:32 pm

it is the right cable and i will be posting to you tomorrow monday
Tony McGuire
Ireland Support

Posfanatics

Progammable keyboard!

Post by Posfanatics » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:56 am

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your help. Dun know what to do w/o the cables. thanks again.

Allan, must also thanks you as well.

Best regards,

Joshua

peewee3ie
Forum Regular

Post by peewee3ie » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:34 am

Just to let you the cable and the software is on the way to you. I have posted it to you today.
Tony McGuire
Ireland Support

Posfanatics

Programmable keyboard!

Post by Posfanatics » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:43 am

Hi Tony,

thanks again. Just also to let u know that I have donated the money on ur behalf.

Cheers,

Joshua

peewee3ie
Forum Regular

Post by peewee3ie » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:50 pm

Joshua

please could you let me know if you get the cable that i sent you.
Tony McGuire
Ireland Support