Citizen iDP 3540 - please help!

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Paul
Citizen iDP 3540 - please help!

Post by Paul » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:00 pm

Hi,

I know this may be a little inappropriate as I know this isn't a general POS printer support forum, but I really hope someone can lend me their expertise.

I have just bought a Citizen iDP 3540 POS receipt printer - does anyone out there know what kind of printer cable I should use with it? The one I'm using 25m-25m doesn't seem to work (the printer just emits a high pitch beep when I turn it on).

If anyone has this printer, I'd be grateful if you would let me know where you bought it from or what type it is, etc.

Thank you for your time!

Kind regards,

Paul

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Post by ChrisKraus » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:21 pm

I don't think that printers are supposed to beep. Do printers beep?
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

Alan
POS Guru

Yes

Post by Alan » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:06 pm

Yes the citizen printers beep!

I used to repair the iDP-3540's daily!!

Answer these questions and i'll see if I can help.

1) When turned on without the cable attached, does it initialise then both lights come in and stay constant?

2) When turned on without the cable attached, does it initalise, beep and the online light flashes?

3) Is the paper loaded into the paper properly and feed right through?

You state you are using a 25m-25m cable - this sounds like you have got a 25pin serial lead plugged into your parallel port on the PC, and plugged into the 25pin serial port on the printer - this will NOT work and WILL cause the Citizen to do an error beep!! You will need a 9-pin to 25-pin serial printer lead.

Alan

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:10 pm

Yes Chris many receipt printers beep.

I used the Citizen IDP3541 (auto cutter model) and it's an awesome little printer.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:32 pm

Hi guys,

thanks for the reply.

I was using the wrong cable, now got a 9pin to 25pin, but it is still not working!

I do not get the error beep anymore, but I can't seem to print to it.

I have installed the drivers on to the COM1 port - and I've fiddled about with the Baud rate, etc to make sure they correspond to what is set up on the printer's DIP switches, but I still get no responce when I print to it!

NIGHTMARE!

If you have this printer, can you let me know what COM port you've installed it on and if you've had similar problems - there doesn't seem to be much support for this printer out there - this is why this forum is a bit of a god send!

Any help would be greatly welcomed!

Thanks again, really appreciate the advice..

Regards,

Paul

okiepc
Forum Regular

IDP 3540 Printer

Post by okiepc » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:18 am

I use two IDP 3540 Citizen printers on Dale Harris Pos. I have both set on Com port 1 and both work excellent, then, I have a third one which is identical and I have never got it to work properly.

I am short on time, but later, I will tell you where I went to get my drivers. Before I installed my new drivers I had an occasional problem, but they took care of that.

okiepc

Alan
POS Guru

urm

Post by Alan » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:39 pm

Just to check - you did set it back to both Green lights being on (Select button) before trying to print?

They usually work best on 9600 or 12900 baud, with parity set to none iirc. I did actually have the setup guide for one somewhere.

If all of what is suggested has'nt worked, then i'm concerned that your RS-232 chip on the 3540's PCB has blown :(

Alan

okiepc
Forum Regular

Citizen Idp 3540

Post by okiepc » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:37 pm

Made it back finally Paul and here is how I have my two printers set up

These are Port settings: Bits Per second 9600
Data Bits 8
Parity None
Stop Bits 1
Flow Control Xon/Xoff
In Advanced my buffer rates are set to the low side.

Both of my setups are set to Com 1.

Here is where I got working drivers:

http://www.infinite-peripherals.com/techinfo.htm
The ones I used are 354X-95exe. I know they work for Win95-98se

Hope this may help. Let me know if I can help

okiepc

paulolynciw

Post by paulolynciw » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:26 pm

Okiepc,

Thank you so much for all your help - I'm glad to say it's now working as it should!

You are a star!

:-)

okiepc
Forum Regular

Citizen IDP 3540 Printer

Post by okiepc » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:59 pm

No problem, glad I could help. :D

Thanks

okiepc