New in 2005

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

2dFx
Occasional Poster

Post by 2dFx » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:53 pm

Credit/Debit processing using Xcharge!!!!!

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:53 pm

2dfx - you must be new here - Dale and Jon have been working on this XCharge thing, which will only benefit those in the US anyway, for a few months now.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

DOS?

Post by 336 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:22 am

Why does the software have to be in DOS form why cant it just be a normal program?

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Normal?

Post by Dale Harris » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:11 pm

And your definition of a "normal" program is what?

In what way is it abnormal? The screen does not come up in Chinese. It does not display numbers in Roman numerals. It does not remap the keyboard so that you have press [D] for [T] or press [A] for [M] etc. It does not display the screen upside down.

This software will run under any version of DOS, any version of Windows, and if you use DOSEMU any version of Linux. Therefore it will also run on any "WinTel" computer made since 1982 as long as it has 640K (that's "K" not "M") of memory and a 25 meg hard drive.

The download file size is 1.2M and will fit on a floppy whereas most POS software has a file size in the 25 - 50 megabyte range.

You install the software just by downloading it into a new folder and unzipping the file. You get rid of it by deleting the folder. It makes no changes in your AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS, WIN.INI, or any other system files on your computer so it cannot screw them up. If you decide to delete the program Windows will still not be trying to load pieces of it years later.

You will never see "General protection faults', "IRC conflicts", or the "blue screen of death" To stop the program you will either have to properly exit the program or beat your computer into submission with a brick.

When ringing up a sale you will never have to touch a rodent.

So if this is not a "normal" program by your definition I am pretty happy with that. :)
Dale

Muskrat
Forum Regular

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:54 pm

Wow, Someone just went off.... :D

Jane Simpson

Post by Jane Simpson » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:28 am

No Relation to Jonathan :D, I was wondering if you could do the following... How about a report where a person could pull up a certain day (much like the total sales report) but instead of sales figures it show you how many of each stock item was sold for that day. Example - Stock number- 12 keychains, - Stock number- 15 place mats...... this way you can see what stock sells well at any particular time. hey you see see a trend in your stock and draw up a graph in excel or something.. just an idea... ps Love u Dale...

Tony

Thought

Post by Tony » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:53 am

Curious if it'd be possible to maybe expand the POS's header fields by option. I'm trying to incorporate your nice POS software for use in an autobody (startup) environment. It would be nice to have the option to add fields such Model: Make: Milage: etc... and/or other fields added elsewhere such as sub headings: Customer Description Qty etc...

Not knowing the complexity of writing code for a DOS based program, I'm sure it is challenging.

The listed suggestions above would possibly enable your POS software to reach a more diverse audience. I'm attempting to create a front-end system just for POS. Everything else to be fully documented seperately. So far your software seems very promising. I have a Title area, Customer info, Products Names (which I'm still trying to manipulate - product name, labor, etc...) If your software could auto populate and calculate data from a excel spreadsheet - that would be real nice as an option. A person could sit down, fill in specified fields of the spreadsheet at their convienence, then when the sale was to be made - your POS software would pull the data, calculate, and print the invoice.

Tony

Add-On

Post by Tony » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:12 am

Notice I forgot to mention; I'm using your Footer section as a Disclaimer area too.

The Coupon is a good touch for marketing.
I like how each transaction is tracked by number, will make documentation elsewhere more effective.

By the way; I'm running your software on Win98SE (as if it matters), Aprint to a Panasonic Quiet KX-P2123 24PIN color dot-matrix printer.
The print-outs perfect.

Thanks Dale. If this all works out for me, I'll for sure donate!

Tony

Possible Add-Ons

Post by Tony » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:45 am

Dale, sorry for the posts above. I was overlooking labels, and have included the Description, Qty etc... The 2 posts above should be ignored.

This post to replace the 2 above for my suggestions (as to a autobody start-up; or etc...):

1) Optional fields for PC print-outs only;
- Applies diversity as to application use
- Plenty of empty space across from Customer Info
- Customizable field examples: Model: - Make: - Year: - Milaage:
- There'd be plenty of room left for more fields

2) The date field would be nice next to the time stamp
- As apposed to the bottom

3) Autobody is primarily a service that requires no inventory;
service performed on a per job basis.
- I have created excel spreadsheets to use for documenting;
Checks Disbustments, Monthly Cash Reciepts, Income Statement,
Balance Sheet, Operations Expenses
- It would be nice if your software would allow me to print-out
Monthly Cash Reciepts (as a list / date specific) - w/only the
following items listed:

- Transaction Number
- Date
- Specify Cash or Check Number (if applicable)
- Amount (sales tax seperate per transaction when applicable)

Number 3) would help in the overall documentation process. Hard copies of sales reciepts could be matched up accordingly if needed with all coresponding data. (I hope #3 isn't another option I am overlooking.)

I like your software, and will continue to implement it into our front-end POS (start-up) solution. Though documentation is critical for providing overall business performance - your software in addition will greatly help lessen the burden of invoicing. Only hoping the listed above would someday be possible - I feel it could help expand the use for many others in a variety of business.

Thanks Dale. Great work!

Tina

2005 Idea

Post by Tina » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:07 am

Dale,
Seeing as you have given this program a brand new look with the sales screen, how about sporting up the reports background color with a fresh new color too??

Tina

mike cote

add a memo line

Post by mike cote » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:19 pm

i think you should be able to add a custom memo lines on the receipt by press a button ie. M-key so you can type information on the receipt it self and save to the database.

balloonbuffoon

Post by balloonbuffoon » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:57 pm

Hello,
I'd like to see the option to remap the 'F' keys. I would like to get one of those numeric keypads that are tiny and only use that for when I take POS on the road but the keypad doesn't have F keys. I figure I can remap the Fs to the functions of the keypad when "Numlock" is off. (ie. Home, PgUP, End, etc.) Is this possible for you to implement? I would really like this!

Thanks,
Steve

AliasXR

Changes

Post by AliasXR » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:47 pm

Looks like a lot of people would benefit most from a beefed up remote.exe
Possibly just an option to see the whole sales screen in mini windows or the option to zoom into a single register screen from the pole output seen now?
This would let the admin see what is been sold by who at what price and how a customer is paying etc.
Could also possibly just make the remote show when a draw needs emptying so the customers and staff dont see it ( if big boss person sits in a cozy office and watches their employees work away on their CCTV monitor / caters for the paranoid).

Dan,

P.S. Please add a password to stop people changing the pre-defined tax ammounts without requesting a managers password...

bdude
Forum Regular

Post by bdude » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:30 am

With remote.exe, you could have an alert with a cash pull/drop or sale over $500 etc.

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:09 am

REMOTE works by the output to the POLE.DAT file which is (funnily enough) used for the Pole Display feature. It doesn't carry enough info to display the entire screen of a register on a remote monitor.

There are other applications for viewing the whole system/remote control etc anyway.

I think a more log-style screen in remote would be favourable - where the screen scrolled as new data was received in the POLE.DAT, identifying each register, time, date etc. I also like the idea of some alerts that could be set in REMOTE.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)