Making your computing life easier.

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Dale Harris
Forum Owner
Making your computing life easier.

Post by Dale Harris » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:38 am

I just received this email...
<hr>
Dear Dale Harris,

I own a old computer that has no hard drive because the hard drive crashed. My computer now must be run by a floppy disk. I think it would be neat if you made a program that allowed people to view the contents of their hard drive, or for people like me, a floppy disk. What I mean is that people that have a computer like this cannot view the contents like they can on a Windows computer. I also think it would be neat to be able to add folders, open programs and more. This is just an idea, if you think it would be possible to make this, I and others with the same problem would probably enjoy it a lot. If you want more information on what I'm talking about, or want to know more about what it is that I mean, please E-Mail me at ???????@??????.???

Thank you for listening
<hr>
Obviously the only possible answer to this email is....
<hr>
??????,

Since you are running your computer from a floppy and it is not coming up in Windows that I must assume that it is comming up in DOS.

DOS is an absolutely wonderful enviroment and I find it much more useful than Windows. When ever I become frustrated trying to force Windows to do some simple chore I just drop down into DOS and can accomplish what I want to do in a fraction of the time that Windows can do it.

The best thing is that you do not need a program to do anything, you just use the DOS commands and and the DOS commands are already on every Windows computer.

However this means that you will have to learn the DOS commands or at least the more useful ones. Here they are http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm#02

BTW, if you are stuck in Windows and really need to get some stuff done you can get to DOS just by clicking on [Start] then [Run]. Type COMMAND into the text box and press [Enter]
Dale

peachey13
Forum Regular

Post by peachey13 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:29 pm

in the newer windows you have to click START then RUN and type CMD

cmputerman
Forum Regular

Post by cmputerman » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:33 am

Well.... They COULD get a bootdisk from bootdisk.com

DOS Commands aren't that hard to learn...