POS

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Eli
POS

Post by Eli » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:19 pm

I feel this letter is long overdue as I have used your pos for years in several of my friends' garage sales. Lately though, I have seen its commercial potential since the introduction of the 13 char product code.

It is truly one of the simplest POS programs to operate! I agree with your decision to stick to DOS. I have been involved in the implementation of several POS projects for clients using WIN platforms and have experienced occasional bluescreens as a natural consequence.

I have watched your free POS evolve into what it is now without virtually increasing its oprational complexities (which in itself is an achievement)!

I am sure that by the time you make version 5.x available, your POS' purchasing and receiving modules will be truly as simple as your POS yet heavyweight in its capabilities! I hope that serial number tracking, matrix and parent-child capabilities will be part and parcel of your envisioned application.

More power to you & your team.

Eli V. Tabasuares

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

POS version 5.0

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:28 pm

Eli,

Some time this year I will be changing the program to allow 14 digit stock numbers to accomodate the new international barcode system that will begin in 2005. Of course you will still be able to use any stock number from 1 to 14 digits long.

Version 5.0 will have network capabilities as its new feature. You will be able to run up to 26 cash registers on the same network and all of them will be able to use the same stock table and other data files at the same time. The network version and the stand alone version will be the same program files. All you will have to do to convert stand alone operation to network operation is to enter a PATH to a folder on one of the computers that will hold the global files. Of course you will also have to have the computers running on a network.

In version 4.28, which is the current version, there is already a program (PURCHASE.EXE) to print out ordering data to make purchase orders to restock your store. In future versions this program will be enhanced to actually print out the purchase orders.

Somewhere in the future the "customer info" feature will be expanded to allow customer billing and invoicing but that is still only in the concept stage. There are no plans to track serial numbers of merchandise sold. Sorry, there are limits to what DOS, and I, can do.

Probably the next feature after networking will be to increase the stock table limit from 5000 different items to 13,000 which will be the practical limit imposed by DOS and the way the program functions.
Dale

Eli

POS

Post by Eli » Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:05 pm

Dear Dale,

I am quite excited to hear of the POS enhancements planned for this year! These will give your application enough features and capabilities to match most of the commercial POS software out there! In fact, I'd go as far to say that your version 5.x will probably be good enough to get all those old 486's out of the dustbin and out performing most of the new POS software run on Pentium 4 2.4GH hardware....LOL!

Eli