Voiding returns BETA test.

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Dale Harris
Forum Owner
Voiding returns BETA test.

Post by Dale Harris » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:32 pm

I am currently working on a feature just to make ChrisKraus happy. OK, it also will be needed when (if) we get X-charge working.

Currently you can only void completed sales transactions but not return transactions. This is because I have not been able to get return voids to be "clean" meaning that they are exactly cleared from the totals. There was usually a penny here or there where it would be off.

After working on this for a couple of days I now have voided returns be clean if the register uses "added" tax but not yet when the register uses "included" tax.

I will continue working.
Last edited by Dale Harris on Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dale

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Post by ChrisKraus » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:47 pm

Seriously, If someone screws-up a return transaction (it happens) what do you do?

- Chris :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Void it

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:19 pm

ChrisKraus,

Well I guess as soon as I finish this feature you could void it.
Dale

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Re: Void it

Post by ChrisKraus » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:59 pm

Dale Harris wrote:ChrisKraus,

Well I guess as soon as I finish this feature you could void it.
<HR>
Thats great, but what about all the people that needed to do that a long time ago (years maybe) that screwed-up their daily reports?
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Post by Dale Harris » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:59 pm

ChrisKraus,

In the last 35 years that I have been running a cash register I have never voided a return, and come to think of it, I have never voided a sale either. And yet I still live, my arms and legs still function, I have the respect and admiration of.... OK, well not a whole lot of people but I am sure that one or maybe two people out there kinda like me, sort of.

But if this had been a serious issue then someone out there would have ponied up some real money to bribe me to fix this before now. And I would have taken it too, but no luck.

So now everyone is going to get this at the usual rate, which is of course FREE. They just had to wait for it.

For more on the topic of waiting, possibly forever, for a feature that people are too cheap to pay for, you can click here to learn if I am going to be heartbroken about it. http://keyhut.com/5_00.htm
Dale

Mr. 74
Occasional Poster

response to dale

Post by Mr. 74 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:23 pm

In the last 35 years that I have been running a cash register I have never voided a return, and come to think of it, I have never voided a sale either.
- Has your manager?
And yet I still live, my arms and legs still function, I have the respect and admiration of.... OK, well not a whole lot of people but I am sure that one or maybe two people out there kinda like me, sort of.
- I think you forgot all the people in the POS community who "kinda like you, sort of". Go Dale

But if this had been a serious issue then someone out there would have ponied up some real money to bribe me to fix this before now. And I would have taken it too, but no luck.

So now everyone is going to get this at the usual rate, which is of course FREE. They just had to wait for it.

For more on the topic of waiting, possibly forever, for a feature that people are too cheap to pay for, you can click here to learn if I am going to be heartbroken about it. http://keyhut.com/5_00.htm
You really love bribes.
Sincerely,
Mr. 74

"To alcohol, the cause of AND solution to all of life's problems"
- Homer Simpson, my idol

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

BETA test

Post by Dale Harris » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:28 pm

Well after four 8 hour days of working on this I think that it is actually working. So I need some people to beta test it. Here is the download link...

<center> http://keyhut.com/pos.zip </center>

This is what I need tested....

I have had to change the way the program calculates sales totals and tax totals. Check to see if they are still correct.

Make sure that complimentary transactions are "clear." This means that if you start out the day with no sales in the "Close" screen (everything is zeros) and then ring two opposite transactions and then go back to the "Close" screen then everything will still be all zeros except for the "Voids" figures.

The complimentry transactions are...

A sale and a return with the same merchandise, reductions, discounts, etc.

A completed sale that is then voided.

A completed return that is then voided.
Last edited by Dale Harris on Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale

FormicaFun

Ok, here's a thought...

Post by FormicaFun » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:25 pm

Ok, I'm a bit disturbed by the course this thread has taken.

Exactly when did we start attacking Dale if he doesn't agree with a feature suggestion. After all this is his software, he doesn't sell it but gives it away. Therefore if he doesn't like a suggestion, deal. Who are you to judge him? If you're that passionate about the feature, get a copy of Qbasic and write your own POS software, that way you can have any and every feature you so desire.

Dale,

I think you've always done a terrific job, and continue to do so. You work a full time job, have a family, yet you still manange to keep updating the software. Kudos to you my friend, Kudos.

-Ryan :-)

Just for the record, I've never had to void a return/refund transaction often, I'd even use the word rarely to describe it. When the circumstance arose, I just simply re-rang the items that were refunded, and therefore negating the negative. Follow my drift? Take into account this was in a high volume grocery enviroment, that did anywhere from 75-125 refunds a day, total transactions somewhere in 2000-2500 per day. The software that we're discussing is meant for a small to medium sized buisness, with far fewer daily transactions. If you really see there beeing an issue with voiding transactions so frequently, maybe you should consider your training methods for the use of the POS system, and not the software.

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Me

Post by Dale Harris » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:36 pm

Mr. 74,

Actually except for the first 6 months the manager has been me.

Thanks for the nice note

Dale
Dale

ShopOwner
Occasional Poster

Post Voids

Post by ShopOwner » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:23 pm

Why would you ever post-void a transaction from YEARS ago? You should never post-void a transaction outside the current day. Not only is this a very bad idea, I'm sure your local accountant or tax collector can tell you NEVER EVER do this.

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Today only

Post by Dale Harris » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:59 pm

ShopOwner,

The POS program will only allow completed transaction voids from today.

What ws being refered to was the fact that allowing return voids is a new feature and has not been possible in the past.
Dale

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:28 pm

If a mistake is made with a return - the transaction can be completed, and then the item "sold" immediately, returning stock levels and cash levels to their original levels.

Not as good as immediate voiding, but it is a way around it.