pos for mac and pocket pc

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

bob5731
Forum Regular
pos for mac and pocket pc

Post by bob5731 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:13 pm

Hi
How can I run pos mac and a pocket pc?

Thank You!!!

P.S. God Loves You And Have A Good Day!!!

cmputerman
Forum Regular

Re: pos for mac and pocket pc

Post by cmputerman » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:38 pm

bob5731 wrote:Hi
How can I run pos mac and a pocket pc?

Thank You!!!

P.S. God Loves You And Have A Good Day!!!
Ok, you will need a DOS emulator for both to run each. I can help you find some DOS emulator software for PPC: pocketdos.com you might find an emulator using google. IDK how to run these, but they might tell you on the site.
Hello! Here is the specs for my comptuer i recently built for myself

AMD Ath64 Processor 2800+ Overclocked to 2.2 GHZ, 80GB HDD, 768MB RAM, Runs Windows and Linux!

Mr. 74
Occasional Poster

Does Anyone Even Read These Subjects?

Post by Mr. 74 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:39 pm

While I can see the usefulness of POS on an old Mac, I don't see it working on a Pocket PC. While it could be useful for inventory tracking or something, it is probably not a good idea for the following reasons:

(1) POS is not a "touch-screen" interface, which is required for some pocket PCs.

(2) The buttons are too small on a pocket PC for usage of a keyboard interface, unless you had an external keyboard...

(3) The size of an external keyboard eliminates the purpose of the pocket PC. Might as well get a laptop. And you look stupid walking with a pocket PC with a huge keyboard. lol

(4) A pocket PC is not a modern microcomputer as in the sense of a Macintosh would be. It is not designed for DOS. Therefore, DOS emulation is most likely difficult, more so than a Macintosh.

Note, however, that I am someone with no technical knowledge whatsoever, so statement #4 may be completely wrong. I really have no idea what I am talking about. lol

In large grocery stores, you often see employees walking around scanning stuff. Is there any chance for this type of technology being implemented by the future by POS? Probably not, since I have never seen said request, but is this in the think-about-it pile? I don't need it; I am just wondering.
Sincerely,
Mr. 74

"To alcohol, the cause of AND solution to all of life's problems"
- Homer Simpson, my idol