two items for the "think about it" pile...pretty p

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

dave something
Forum Regular
two items for the "think about it" pile...pretty p

Post by dave something » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:09 pm

Item #1:

Ability to make an exchange on a single screen, instead of the current "return and then sell" process that now exists.

Item #2:

Ability for the "Employee Sales" report to function much like the current Total Sales report, e.g., specify a date or date range for which to search for an employees sales. We pay bonuses and spiffs based on sales targets and it would be really useful to be able to look up an employee's sales history instead of having to dig through the paperwork at the end of a month.

thanks for any consideration given.

dave

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:21 am

#1 - Dale tried once to do this, but it quickly became quite complicated to program a return into a sale, so he opted to seperate them.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:45 pm

Can a return not simply be done by the quantity being set to "-1"?

FormicaFun
Forum Regular

As easy as that sounds...

Post by FormicaFun » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:15 pm

Try getting DHPOS to allow you to set the quantity to -1. Even though it sounds like a great idea, it usually ends up throwing a number off somewhere.

If memory serves, on the old BMI terminals I once worked... To refund an item you would hit [Refund] then scan/enter the item normally. I think it just added the "-" to the quantity, but when the reports ran at the end of the day it was classified as a refund transaction. If you were to refund an item, then ring it up in the same order (yes, I realize that's refered to as an "exchange" by most people) it was still classified as a refund, and therefore the transaction total would be counted under refunds. This looked great on paper, and would make the refund average look good for the day, but we never really got credit for the sale part of that transaction. Do this a few hundered times, and you really do loose out in the totals. If they figured out we did a "exchange" by the aformentioned process they'd give us an ear full, and once I became the store accountant, I was the ear full giver. If we did need to do an "exchange" we'd have to first refund the item, cash out the sale, then ring up the new item, key the refund total in as cash, then settle the balance with the customer. Was it a somewhat unnecessary step? Yes....and no. I think the system is fine the way it is.

I like the idea of merging the screens together, maybe make one of the unused "F" keys the "Refund/Payout" key, and have one universal sales screen.

While we're on the subject, what about this for an idea? Back in my days of Customer Affairs/Accounting...after a refund was completed, and tendered out, the system would then print a refund slip, looked something like this...

*** STORE REFUND***

_Ryan_______________
Associate

_Bob_Dole___________
Mgmt. Aproval
----------------------------
Reason for refund:_____

_Customer_didn't_need_

_any_more_corn,_or___

_tomatoes._Parents_no_

_longer_able_to_eat.___
-----------------------------
<insert refunded items>
0216259630 1x3.29 -3.29
BIG CAN O' CORN
0263250926 3x1.69 -3.39
BIG CAN O' TOMATOES
Total -6.68
Tax -.21
Refund Total -6.89
Cash -6.89
Balance 0.00
Trx 26051260460156015603
-------------------------------

_LIZZY_BORDEN________
Customer Signature

_123_456_7890__________
Customer Phone Number

(Of course the Associate Name, Mgmt Aproval, Reason, Customer info didn't print, but I'm kinda bored today, so I thought I'd add them for a more "realistic effect"...and the fact I'm bored)

Now ofcourse the "middle" portion was all justified, and the amounts lined up. That portion of the receipt looked identical to the "transaction" portion of the regular reciept. Minus the headers and footers. How feasable is this Dale? I would think it's easy enough, simular to the mini-receipt that pops out for sales checks....just a bit more text up top, and down below. Maybe something for a day when X-charge get you down. Take your mind off of PIN pads, card readers, interfacing software in general.

Oh yeah, and I finally decided to register my screen name. Woo Hoo!

Have fun! Peace, Love, and Lolipops!
-Ryan :-)

Rickpos (not logged in)

Walmart and Target systems work the same....

Post by Rickpos (not logged in) » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:46 pm

way as DHPOS, in that it processes the return first and then a new sale has to be rung up. Granted, there are other retailers that take the "Exchange and Sale" route, but I think it has more to do with transaction tracking than anything else.

peachey13
Forum Regular

Post by peachey13 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:06 pm

Another function that would be nice if we could put letters and symbols for example 85425GRE85/854 as the stock code because there are some products like uhu glue stick that there barcodes aren't just numbers.

-peachey111213

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Vendor stock numbers

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:26 pm

Just enter the stock number with characters other than numbers into the "Vendor stock number" Then if you set it up using the "Vendor list" feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program, you can press [*] when asked for a stock number when ringing up a sale and you can enter the vendor stock number instead.
Dale