POS on Debian Linux no beep?

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

capn_buzzcut
POS on Debian Linux no beep?

Post by capn_buzzcut » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:08 pm

Hi all,
I've managed to get POS running on an old 486 by using Debian Linux and dosemu-freedos. It works well, even prints fine, but I can't get the keypress beep to work. Any ideas?

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

System speaker

Post by Dale Harris » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:58 pm

capn_buzzcut,

The key press beep uses the SOUND command to send a signal to your system speaker. This is a cheap speaker mounted in the main unit of your computer, maybe. Since most computers now have "gee-whiz" audio boards with sensurround, 3-D, sound the manufactures of some computers have decided to skip installing system speakers in their computers to save 89 cents. The bottom line in this case is no key press beep because you gots no speaker. :)

And of course Linux may not support the SOUND command because some computers don't have system speakers. You can't win.
Dale

capn_buzzcut

Doh!

Post by capn_buzzcut » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:24 pm

Fortunately, I did figure out the problem. I've been tweaking on this thing for a couple of weeks trying to get everything right, and now just after I post a mayday for help I finally figured out the last thing. Sorry for the trouble. The key, by the way, is running the dosemu executable suid root, rather than as a regular user.

If anyone is interested, I'll be happy to share what I've learned. Basically, I've managed to get POS running under Debian Linux, complete with network support (files stored across the network on a server), using an ancient 486. There's really nothing fancy to it, just figuring out what to install and how to configure it took me some time.

ushio

Re: Doh!

Post by ushio » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:01 pm

capn_buzzcut wrote:Fortunately, I did figure out the problem. I've been tweaking on this thing for a couple of weeks trying to get everything right, and now just after I post a mayday for help I finally figured out the last thing. Sorry for the trouble. The key, by the way, is running the dosemu executable suid root, rather than as a regular user.

If anyone is interested, I'll be happy to share what I've learned. Basically, I've managed to get POS running under Debian Linux, complete with network support (files stored across the network on a server), using an ancient 486. There's really nothing fancy to it, just figuring out what to install and how to configure it took me some time.
Hello,

Wow… well done to you.
You make the DHPOS working under Linux platform. It must be cool I supposed.
I do talk to dale before on running the DHPOS on free-dos but I have not yet tried it. Since you said that you even can run it under Linux, I rather prefer this wonderful method, it must be pain when you getting onto it.
Can you please share with me step by step from installing DOSEMU right to the DHPOS? I try to installing by searching the web but unlucky I have not idea at all what exactly the instructions are. Furthermore, I am handicap on Linux and not even installing a single program before.

If possible, please send me overall procedure.
Thank you very much.

From,
LO

capn_buzzcut

Post by capn_buzzcut » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:31 pm

Even though this was originally posted over 2 years ago, I'm still running POS under Linux, although now it's been moved to a different machine (actually an old telecom box I dug out of someone's trash).

Basically, under the current Debian stable release, just install the dosemu-freedos package, then copy the POS program files to your home directory. Launch the dosemu environment, then launch the POS executable.

ushio

Post by ushio » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:46 pm

Hello is me again, changed username form lh lo to ushio.
I have 2 linux here, FC 4 and ubuntu, which one you recommended?
I read thru the http://www.dosemu.org/, but there a lot of stuff which confused me. :cry: :cry:
Any idea which one to choose and please give me some of your pass experiences? I mean the step by step instructions.. form making new directory up to installing and testing.

:lol: thanks...

capn_buzzcut

Post by capn_buzzcut » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:32 am

I'd recomend Ubuntu. As for step-by-step instructions, I simply don't have the time to provide that. If you can't figure out how to get the dosemu environment up and running by referring to the documentation available, then it's probably best for you to avoid Linux altogether and stick with Windows.

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Re: POS on Debian Linux no beep?

Post by ChrisKraus » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:04 pm

capn_buzzcut wrote:but I can't get the keypress beep to work
Dale, Call This A Stupid Question, But Why Did You Put This Keybeep Feature in the program in the first place? I never thought is was that inportent, or useful. Honestly, I'm wondering if it is really that useful, because I always turned it off because it got extremely annoying, especially while scrolling around in POSCONFG.
- Chris :?
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:20 pm

ChrisKraus wrote:
Dale, Call This A Stupid Question, But Why Did You Put This Keybeep Feature in the program in the first place? I never thought is was that inportent, or useful. Honestly, I'm wondering if it is really that useful...
I guess it was just something to fill in Dale's time, anyway - what's the big deal, it can be turned off. :roll:
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Post by ChrisKraus » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:02 pm

Andrew Bunn wrote:
ChrisKraus wrote:
Dale, Call This A Stupid Question, But Why Did You Put This Keybeep Feature in the program in the first place? I never thought is was that inportent, or useful. Honestly, I'm wondering if it is really that useful...
I guess it was just something to fill in Dale's time, anyway - what's the big deal, it can be turned off. :roll:
Then again, there is that thing with code space.
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

peachey13
Forum Regular

Post by peachey13 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:40 pm

its so that it replicates(spelling?) a normal cash register [well all the ones i've used have had a key press beep system]

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Beeps

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:47 pm

"Key press beep" is there because it was asked for a long time ago at the beginning of the program.

While it does take some code space in the POSCONFG.EXE program to set up the key press beep, that is not where room is tight. The code for executing the beep is this exactly...

IF CF(15) THEN SOUND 1500,1

and the above code appears exactly once in the program.

I think I have that much room in the POS.EXE program to waste.
Dale

ushio

Re: Beeps

Post by ushio » Mon May 01, 2006 5:35 am

Hi everybody,
I guess we have some mis-understanding here. Actually, what I wanted here is making DHPOS completely running on OOS such as linux. Since I am not familiar with Linux, so I urgently looking for the helps.
I have downloaded the dosemu-1.2.2-1.i386.rpm and installed by rpm -i dosemu-1.2.2-1.i386.rpm in FC 4. Then, faced problem because I do not know how to execute/run my DHPOS afterward.

What should I do next? Need to create another directory for DHPOS? What is the command that should I play & where?

Thanks... :o

ushio

Post by ushio » Thu May 11, 2006 11:06 am

capn_buzzcut wrote:Even though this was originally posted over 2 years ago, I'm still running POS under Linux, although now it's been moved to a different machine (actually an old telecom box I dug out of someone's trash).

Basically, under the current Debian stable release, just install the dosemu-freedos package, then copy the POS program files to your home directory. Launch the dosemu environment, then launch the POS executable.
Hi there,

I got my DHPOS just started working on my FC4. So, u meant by installed dosemu in root directory will enable beep sound? FYI, I have already installed in user's directory with malfunction of beeping sound.

Again, all the hardware like receipt printer, scanner, customer display & cash drawer working well from your passed experiences?

Thanks.. :lol: