Proposed new feature

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Dale Harris
Forum Owner
Proposed new feature

Post by Dale Harris » Tue May 31, 2005 9:45 pm

Here is a feature I thought of just now.

How about if the POSCONFG.EXE program would load any archived journal from the last 365 days, be able to scroll it on the screen and print it on the printer.

You would be able to specify the month & day instead of having to convert the month & day into the 2 letter date code like you have to when you want to load an archived journal into a word processing program.

Comments?
Dale

peewee3ie
Forum Regular

Post by peewee3ie » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:35 am

Its a great idea Dale. How soon would you have it ready.
Tony McGuire
Ireland Support

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

When

Post by Dale Harris » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:25 am

peewee3ie,

Well so far the new feature is still "proposed." Your feedback is the only one I have received so far. Let's see what other folk think.

If I do decide to do it, it should not take very long at all. Most of the required code is in other parts of the program and all I have to do is swipe the various parts I will need, hammer it together, write a little bit of new code, and debug it. It should take about a day or two.
Dale

lsunw
Forum Regular

Post by lsunw » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:08 am

I think it is a great idea...

It make me more convenience when i need to check thru the previous sale...so taht i dont need to go into the POS folder and open the archieve file one by one...it also make easier for searching particular sale that archieve.

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Done?

Post by Dale Harris » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:51 pm

Well I was stuck in the key shop for 12 hours today, got bored, so I started working on this feature. I think I finished it.

It still needs some beta testing so I am going to put it up here http://keyhut.com/cf2b2.zip for anyone who wants to be a guinea pig. I assume you have version 6.34 because this is only the CF2.EXE file (once you unzip it) and will replace your current CF2.EXE file. It will only work with version 6.34 or 6.34a.

The feature...

Go to the "Journal" feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program and press [F5]=Display/Print. You will be given 3 options.

1. Current journal.
This will load the current journal that is being written by the POS.EXE program when it makes a transaction.

2. Journal file ????????.TXT
At the close of the register if you have the POS program save the journal to a separate text file this option will load that file.

3. Archived journal
At the close of the register if you have the POS program archive the journal (up to 366 of them, one for each day of the year) this option will ask for the month and day of the archived journal you want and then load it.

Once you have loaded the journal it will be displayed on the screen and you can scroll it up and down. If you then choose to print the journal you can print either the entire journal or print a screen shot of the portion of the journal that is on the screen. You can also save the entire journal to a text file with a different name (or same name) on the same drive or a different drive.
Last edited by Dale Harris on Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale

Tina

Pretty Interesting

Post by Tina » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:05 am

Dale this is a nifty little feature. I just tested it out a bit. I assume that you can only run this from the register whom's journal you want to search. I do have one tiny suggestion... How about once in a journal there is a user option to find certain text, say for instance you wanted to look for a certain item you would press a button to pull up a search box you type in what ever text you want to search and it will take you right to that part of the transaction. This doesn't have to be an actual item either. Say you type in a transaction # in the field and it could bring you right to that #. Perhaps a repeat button can be on there too so if you pressed repeat it would look for that same text further down in the journal if any exists.

This journal thing is very neat indeed!!
Cheers
Tina

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Maybe

Post by Dale Harris » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:51 am

Tina,

Maybe, but it would only search the journal that had been loaded. To search another journal you would have to load that one.
Dale

Tina

Journal

Post by Tina » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:47 am

Yep, that makes perfect sense. Currently the journal files can be tampered with allowing anyone to change data. At one time or another you mentioned creating a journal viewer to disable anything from being altered or read except through this program. Will this be the program that will be capeable of doing that? Or is this something totally differant? I imagine that would be kind of difficult to figure out because you'd have to figure out how to scramble & unscramble the journal files.

Tina

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Search

Post by Dale Harris » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:20 pm

I have added a search feature. You can use it when you are scrolling a loaded journal. Look at the bottom of the screen, it should be obvious how to use it.

On another note.

Hey! How about some feedback on this feature from someone besides Tina. She suggested something and it got put in the program. What is your suggestion?

Here is the link http://keyhut.com/cf2b2.zip
Last edited by Dale Harris on Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale

Tina

Journal

Post by Tina » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:24 pm

Dale,
Thanks for adding that bit in. It does work. I just tried it. I wonder how many others will discover this. This program is fully loaded and it always amazes me when you come up with nifty little new features.

Tina

peachey13
Forum Regular

Post by peachey13 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:30 am

I think its a great idea!!!

-peachey13

Nick
Forum Regular

You wanted a sugestion, you got a sugustion

Post by Nick » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:35 am

Great feature but you asked for sugestions. I think it would be nice to be able to print just one transaction at a time if needed. This would be nice for approaching someone who was doing somthing they wernt supposed to do. Like an unautherised cash drop/pull, or no sale.

Thanks,
-Nick

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:17 pm

You can already reprint transactions from the "Voids" option in the main menu. You will need to enable this option under Sale Recording-Voids in POSCONFG.

Seeing as how the journals are just a big long virtual "tape" of transactions, I don't know if it's possible to pull out one transaction and print it.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Screen print

Post by Dale Harris » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:11 pm

When you select to print a journal you are offered the option to print the entire journal or a screen print of what is on the screen at present. If you have a long receipt you can do as many screen prints as required to print the entire receipt.
Dale